Quantcast

2 US Passports - is it legal?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
In March I sent in a passport renewal that got screwed up and instead of it being expedited went through the normal flow. Since I travel for work I ended up walking into the Passport Agency and got one the same day. The renewal was supposed to be canceled but didn't. So 4 months later I get a Fedex envelope with another passport. Is it legal to have 2 US Passports?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is not legal. My wife had the same issue. She sent in the app, didn't get it in time, so we drove to Seattle and got one. A month later, it came in the mail and they said to destroy the one she got in the mail because she had traveled with the one we got in person.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
It is not legal. My wife had the same issue. She sent in the app, didn't get it in time, so we drove to Seattle and got one. A month later, it came in the mail and they said to destroy the one she got in the mail because she had traveled with the one we got in person.
Thanks. I just wanted my old passport back cause it had all my visas, but didn't expect another new one.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
how could it be illegal if the government is the one that issued both of them??...D
Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the current government 'round here...

Here it is in a nutshell:

1. The government is not liable for your it's mistakes, but you are.
2. If you're smarter than the government, you're obviously a terr'st.

These two inevitables are pretty much the cause, effect, manifest destiny, whatever...of GWB.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the current government 'round here...

Here it is in a nutshell:

1. The government is not liable for your it's mistakes, but you are.
2. If you're smarter than the government, you're obviously a terr'st.

These two inevitables are pretty much the cause, effect, manifest destiny, whatever...of GWB.
ok that make more sense:D

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I travel internationally for a living. You need to sort this out TODAY.

Here's the issue: 2 different numbers. You leave the country fine, you travel around. You arrive back here and they run your passport through the machine. It indicates that you hold 2 different passports. You're immediately flagged. They take you to the back room (make sure you have clean underwear.)

You've been traveling for 24 hours and they make you sit around for another 8 while they sort this whole thing out. The cops get called in, probably the local secret service folks as well.

There are plenty of places where hassles like this can happen, but none is scarier than customs because a.) you have ZERO rights at that point until they figure out what is happening and b.) nobody wants to ever "cut you a break."

Do not leave the country until you have this resolved. I'd rather spend 2 full weeks sorting it out before I leave than spend 8 hours in legal limbo with a bunch of people who could care less about the situation and are in fear for their jobs if they screw up.