Quantcast

2-WAY radios....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok these are the 2 I'm looking at in the $35-50 range.
I think the one is just the rechargable version of the other.
Anybody have any other suggestions. Oh and I need them by tomorrow so I can't have them shipped.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have the T5725 model. It's really great.

Just make sure you have the model with 14 channels and 38 subchannels instead of the model without the subchannels. If you need them in crowded areas (e.g.: big ski resorts), you'll appreciate having the subchannels.
:)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
FlipSide said:
I have the T5725 model. It's really great.

Just make sure you have the model with 14 channels and 38 subchannels instead of the model without the subchannels. If you need them in crowded areas (e.g.: big ski resorts), you'll appreciate having the subchannels.
:)
wow, great info thanks!

Anybody know anything about Cobra 2ways?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Don't get the regargeable model. Just get some descent NIMH batteries or even some NICAD batteries that you can charge with that battery charger you've had lying around since the 80s. I have the one with the special batteries and charger and the batteries have never lasted that long, one is down to like 2 hours on a full charge from about 8 hours when new. I was always careful to discharge fully and recharge fully so that's not it, the batteries just suck. I've only charged and discharged mine a dozen times or so, they're just not good batteries.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Kornphlake said:
Don't get the regargeable model. Just get some descent NIMH batteries or even some NICAD batteries that you can charge with that battery charger you've had lying around since the 80s. I have the one with the special batteries and charger and the batteries have never lasted that long, one is down to like 2 hours on a full charge from about 8 hours when new. I was always careful to discharge fully and recharge fully so that's not it, the batteries just suck. I've only charged and discharged mine a dozen times or so, they're just not good batteries.
I just bought a great AA battery charger for my digital camera batteries so I was going to get the same batteries and get the 2ways with the batteries but I like the idea of the charger seat and hot having to buy more batteries.

Here are the product details on it
Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year

Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year

Product Height 6-1/2"

Product Width 2-3/8"

Product Weight 1-3/4 lbs.

Product Length 1-3/8"

Channels 22 channels (7 GMRS/FRS, 7 FRS, 8 GMRS)

Codes per Channel 38

Range Up to 5 miles

Number of Radios in Package 2

FCC License Required Yes

Output Power 1 watt

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
I just bought a great AA battery charger for my digital camera batteries so I was going to get the same batteries and get the 2ways with the batteries but I like the idea of the charger seat and hot having to buy more batteries.
Don't do it. Go with ones that accept regular rechargable AA batteries....

-S.S.-

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
I have the blue ones, and dude, the batteries work just fine, never had an issue with em going down fast... maybe in a few years, they'll crap out, but have had mine for about a year now and no issues...

The only gripe I have is with the cheazy display... think they coulda done a little better, but work great! I like the charger stand too.. makes life a little easier.

that's my .02 cents for what it's worth.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
slcpunk21 said:
I have the blue ones, and dude, the batteries work just fine, never had an issue with em going down fast... maybe in a few years, they'll crap out, but have had mine for about a year now and no issues...<snip>
They're just not as versatile. With regular old rechargables I can swipe batteries from my camera for my radios, or vice-versa, I can charge everything up while I'm driving up to the mountains. I don't have to take that base unit on vacation with me - just the tiny battery charger that plugs into an outlet.

Or when the rechargables die and I've forgotten extras or the charger I can just grab a pack of AAs at the grocery store and I'm back in business.

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
slcpunk21 said:
also even if you get the rechargable ones if the batteries crap out you can put normal AA's in there anyways.. so what's really to loose?
Oh thanks!
Thats great info as well. I'll have to look when I go to best buy. What's the problem with the display?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
slcpunk21 said:
also even if you get the rechargable ones if the batteries crap out you can put normal AA's in there anyways.. so what's really to loose?
Huh? They're just packaged up AAs? If that's the case, there's nuttin' to lose. My Olympus camera had a battery pack like that. I just use AAs now......

-S.S.-

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
SkaredShtles said:
Or when the rechargables die and I've forgotten extras or the charger I can just grab a pack of AAs at the grocery store and I'm back in business.

-S.S.-
ummm with those you can.. they use the standard radio model that uses their own AA batter pack that is rechargable yet fits into a the standard AA battery slot. So if you do run into that problem, just as you say " grab a pack of AAs at the grocery store and I'm back in business"

See....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pnj said:
where ya going that you need to walkie talkie with people?
I only use them for skiing at resorts....

I ski... ummm.... well, faster than most of the other people I usually go with. So it makes it easy to hook up during the day for lunch, the occasional "social run", etc......

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pnj said:
MBW in Jim Thorpe PA with Jackson and some friends also MtbikerNJ Spincrazy, sydasti and some others will be there as well.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
SkaredShtles said:
I only use them for skiing at resorts....

I ski... ummm.... well, faster than most of the other people I usually go with. So it makes it easy to hook up during the day for lunch, the occasional "social run", etc......

-S.S.-
The only time they don't work to well for skiing is when you're upside down in fresh POW.. can't call for help to easily that way.. always remember your ski buddy! :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My dad and gf each have a set of the non-rechargeable Motorola's. They work well. But if you want something nice, try the professional version. A good friend has a pair. I can't think of the name, but they are $100+ each, maybe closer to $200. Range is increased to ~5 miles and the reception is crystal clear. I am guessing that they are digital b/c there is no signal degradation until just before you lose reception. They are larger and less user-friendly, but work much better. I believe that they are designed more for use around construction sites and not ski resorts, so you do less channel changing. My friend who owns them is an electrition. I just did a quick search of their site but didn't see the exact model he has, but did see many other similar models. One thing I remember is that they have a long enough range that you are suppossed to register them. From looking at other Motorola radio description, I believe that the range is 5 miles or 200,000 sq. feet/ 15 floors of building. They are only slightly larger than a Talkabout. There is no visual display. You 'tune' it using voice prompts. They are compatible with Talkabouts, but it took an owners manual to fugure out how.
If you are looking for something basic, than I would by all means recomend the Talkabouts.
If you want something a little nicer (think very small hand-held CB power) get the professional version. They are ~ 1/2 again as big as the Talkabouts in every dimension, but still small enough to put in a pocket or carry with you. If you plan on doing back country, I would get the nicer radio.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Repack said:
My dad and gf each have a set of the non-rechargeable Motorola's. They work well. But if you want something nice, try the professional version. A good friend has a pair. I can't think of the name, but they are $100+ each, maybe closer to $200. Range is increased to ~5 miles and the reception is crystal clear. I am guessing that they are digital b/c there is no signal degradation until just before you lose reception. They are larger and less user-friendly, but work much better. I believe that they are designed more for use around construction sites and not ski resorts, so you do less channel changing. My friend who owns them is an electrition. I just did a quick search of their site but didn't see them. One thing I remember is that they have a long enough range that you are suppossed to register them. From looking at other Motorola radio description, I believe that the range is 5 miles or 200,000 sq. feet/ 15 floors of building. They are only slightly larger than a Talkabout. There is no visual display. You 'tune' it using voice prompts. They are compatible with Talkabouts, but it took an owners manual to fugure out how.
If you are looking for something basic, than I would by all means recomend the Talkabouts.
If you want something a little nicer (think very small hand-held CB power) get the professional version. They are ~ 1/2 again as big as the Talkabouts in every dimension, but still small enough to put in a pocket or carry with you. If you plan on doing back country, I would get the nicer radio.
Wow thanks man!

I really don't want to spend the money. I'll only use them a few times during the year so for me spending the money would be pretty extreme.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
stosh said:
Wow thanks man!

I really don't want to spend the money. I'll only use them a few times during the year so for me spending the money would be pretty extreme.
Don't forget though... with alot of bigger/ more powerful units, you usually need a FCC license.. not sure on the ones he's talking about, but something to look into

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
slcpunk21 said:
Don't forget though... with alot of bigger/ more powerful units, you usually need a FCC license.. not sure on the ones he's talking about, but something to look into
see the specs I posted above.
Fawk the FCC thats what I say, if I want to talk about Jannet Jackson's naked boobs I will.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
it is great for newbs, but it's a great way to make it easy to corral people when leading a bigger group ride especially.
Get a long lil doggie........ :p

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
the only feature i would be concerned about is the lock feature that keeps you from accidentally changing channels. but it looks like it's standard now.

i have a set of some real old motorola ones that we use when we snowboard and is also great for road trips with multiple cars.

i don't know what you're budget is but they have the garmin ones w/ gps. i've never used one so i can't give you any feedback on them :confused:

http://www.hitechwireless.com/ac4store/product1.asp?SID=4&Product_ID=10

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
slcpunk21 said:
As far as I know, registering them is on the honor system. Motorola's site has the link with every aplicable mdel.

In my original post, by "didn't see them", I meant the exact model my bud has.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Cursor said:
the only feature i would be concerned about is the lock feature that keeps you from accidentally changing channels. but it looks like it's standard now.

i have a set of some real old motorola ones that we use when we snowboard and is also great for road trips with multiple cars.

i don't know what you're budget is but they have the garmin ones w/ gps. i've never used one so i can't give you any feedback on them :confused:

http://www.hitechwireless.com/ac4store/product1.asp?SID=4&Product_ID=10
Hey man!
Good to see ya!!!

GPS would blow my budget right now! I just want simple ones for now. I'm looking to spend about $50.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
stosh said:
Wow thanks man!

Cool. I would look into them though since I can't remember the price. My friends and I go camping a lot. We always caravan and use the hand-helds. My buddies are by far the best. You won't have buyers regret if you buy them, but at the same time, the others still work very well.

In my original post, by "didn't see them", I meant the exact model my bud has, not that the line/style wasn't there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
slcpunk21 said:
The only time they don't work to well for skiing is when you're upside down in fresh POW.. can't call for help to easily that way.. always remember your ski buddy! :)
Nope. Not on a powder day. The "buddies" get left behind. Although there is this one dude on fat skis who busts my ass on a powder day. I guess I'm *his* buddy on those days......... :D

I gotta get me some of those newfangled fat skis.......

-S.S.-