Quantcast

20,000 more reservists called up

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Originally posted by johnny33fb
Heres your list of countries that have helped support a US led war on terror http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/coalition.maps/
I meant a list of countries that are going to send troops to Iraq to war if needed.

So is Italy, France,Turkey,Germany,Israel,Phillipines and Netherlands preparing to send troops to Iraq:confused:??? Is that what you're trying to suggest with that CNN map...
I find it hard to believe that those countries would send troops to Iraq...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by Eddie420
Explain how I am dude??
your posts are almost verbatim of nearly every secular news venue.

somewhere in between both sides of the view is the truth. the war will not be just about oil, neither will it be just about WMD. oil does play a role in the scheme of things but it is not the singular reason, simply believing the media hype is both irresponsible and uneducated.

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Originally posted by manimal
your posts are almost verbatim of nearly every secular news venue.

somewhere in between both sides of the view is the truth. the war will not be just about oil, neither will it be just about WMD. oil does play a role in the scheme of things but it is not the singular reason, simply believing the media hype is both irresponsible and uneducated.
Ok then since I'm uneducated, tell me then apart from oil and WMD what are the other reasons for war???
I don't believe media hype....

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
oh yeh are you still unemployed,broke and separated from your pregnant wife and kid I hope not because if you are I can see why you would want to go to war. :rolleyes: :D :dead:

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Freak
No matter what kind of war or international incident it is....people like yourself and others will always always go out into the streets and say "Peace, and no War". Just my opinion.
I know what you mean-- but that's a lame generalization. There always seem to be people who will protest anything.... professional protesters. But, I think you intentionally focus on that minority and ignore the majority of protesters who possibly have a valid reason to be against the war. I was happy to support the gulf war, and afganistan....most of us were.

Originally posted by Manimal
......and cry, and cry, and cry.........

while the rest of us do something worthwhile
So publicly dissenting isn't "worthwhile"??!! This is one of the reasons Bush gives us to go to war, because Iraqis can't publicly dissent! I'm curious what your "something worthwhile" is....? Is it fighting for democracy and freedom? Freedom to dissent....????

Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Here are some facts:
-Before Saddam Hussein came to power, he studied the methods of Hitler and Stalin.

-During the 1990's weapons inspections, THOUSANDS OF TONS of chemical weapon agents were destroyed. All inspectors are in agreement: it is not possible that they found it all.

-During the 1990's weapons inspections, inspectors found that Iraq had continued to import ballistic missile technology despite the Gulf War treaties.

Saddam Hussein is a mad man. He tortures and kills his own people, his own family for that matter. It is a well known fact that he has chemical weapons. It is very likely that he has pursued both biological and nuclear weapons as well. It is pretty plain to see that Saddam would use these weapons against anyone who ticked him off.

So if there is some compelling reason that Saddams regime needs to be preserved - I must be missing it.
On the Hitler/Stalin thing.... Everyone's studied them, even the US. We know their names because they were good at getting/maintaining power, and molding public support (Hitler was democratically elected, I believe). While Hitler was horrible, etc, etc, etc, the Nazi's methods of getting power have been studied and used extensively, by those both good & bad, US and others.

With the weapons inspectors, the part I focus on is "thousands of tons were DESTROYED", and with inspectors back in there, I haven't and still don't consider Iraq a threat to us. They're finding things like "aluminum tubes" and "empty warheads". These aren't smoking guns, and we don't expect to find any. The Bush administration says it's up to Saddam to prove he doesn't have any WMD, not for us to prove he does... and I understand their reasoning, but even if he had a medium range missle filled with the worse poison gas ever....WOOPDI-FREAKIN-DOO!!! (in the sense that he's not a threat to us). Did Saddam use any on us during the gulf war??? (let me know otherwise). We told him "in no uncertain terms" that if he used any on us it would be the end of Saddam, one way or another--and he didn't. When you say "It is pretty plain to see that Saddam would use these weapons against anyone who ticked him off." I totally disagree--- Saddam is a power hungry bully, not a Jihad suicide bomber. There's a big difference between the two-- one's a threat to us, and one's not. If Saddam had ever actually threatened us, or attacked us, do you think he'd still be in power?

But, we all agree that Saddam needs to be ousted, and democracy is a good thing, right? I'd support a war to do so if those were the actual reasons we are heading towards military action. But I don't believe it... Iran "ticked him off" and he used WMD against them, but Donald Rumsfield was still able to shake Saddam's hand in the 80's... So, why are we all the sudden threatened by those same weapons (that he probably doesn't even have)?? What's changed?

There's no compelling reason why Saddam's regime should be preserved, I don't think it should be. But until the UN/World can agree to remove Saddam for the reasons you posted, I'm not buying a US led strike---when we've tolerated, created, and supported regimes like his because they suited our interests. The Administrations reasons for war are so selective....

What's changed that makes Saddam a threat? Over the last 12 years? Over the Bush's term so far?

On a related note... from "Verbatim" in this week's Time mag: "How Bush and his junta succeeded in deflecting America's anger from bin Laden to Saddam Hussein is one of the great public relations conjuring tricks in history."

And another, I heard about a poll taken that asked if a)All,
b)Most, c)Some, d)Just One, or e)None of the 9/11 hijackers were Iraqis. The answer is None, most were Saudis, but All and Most were quite popular responses.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I think there can be little argument that the Iraqi regime is not working in the interests of its people but the regime Saudi Arabia is no better yet we support that one and are not proposing to go in and liberate the Saudi people. In fact we work to keep it in power. The argument about saving the Iraqis from Saddam is a pure smokescreen. The west does nothing about Burma and did sod all in East Timor (apart from selling weapons to the Indonesian regime).

The only reason we are going into Iraq is oil. All the rest is BS.

And Germany does not support an invasion.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
oh yeh are you still unemployed,broke and separated from your pregnant wife and kid I hope not because if you are I can see why you would want to go to war. :rolleyes: :D :dead:
huh? what does that have to do with my political views? i'm unemployed because i decided not to go back into the military....so now i've got to find a real job.

oh yeah, i have an interview at noon!!:D :D

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
In the Gulf war the Iraqi's retaliated by firing missile's at Saud Arabia,Iran and Israel but not at America.
HAHAHAHAHA! are you really serious? do you seriously think if he HAD anything that could REACH the US that he wouldn't have lobbed it this way?

The US doesn't try and help places without oil? i don't have time to dig up the loooong list of "actions" we have taken part in to help countries that don't have **** to give back...Somolia? Bosnia? ringing any bells here?

as long as we're into nation bashing let's not forget that your country was founded as a penal colony... :eek:

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Originally posted by BostonBullit
HAHAHAHAHA! are you really serious? do you seriously think if he HAD anything that could REACH the US that he wouldn't have lobbed it this way?

The US doesn't try and help places without oil? i don't have time to dig up the loooong list of "actions" we have taken part in to help countries that don't have **** to give back...Somolia? Bosnia? ringing any bells here?

as long as we're into nation bashing let's not forget that your country was founded as a penal colony... :eek:
Ya maybe he would have lobbed one to the US but I think Saddam might have considered the consequences. Then America would have had a justified war.:rolleyes: I'm all for getting rid of saddam go get him.
Man is that all you can knock Australia about, I can think of a lot more...:D following America to war is a start.....:D

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Yeh, if "should Australia go to Iraq with America" went to the polls there is absolutely no doubt that Australians would be staying put. It's only because of the PM. Fool.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
....to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"...

If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.

If the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.
If the terrorists are frisky,
Pakistan is looking shifty,
North Korea is too risky,
Bomb Iraq.

If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.
If we think someone has dissed us, bomb Iraq.
So to hell with the inspections,
Let's look tough for the elections,
Close your mind and take directions,
Bomb Iraq.

It's "pre-emptive non-aggression", bomb Iraq.
Let's prevent this mass destruction, bomb Iraq.
They've got weapons we can't see,
And that's good enough for me
'Cos it's all the proof I need
Bomb Iraq.

If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.
If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.
If you think Saddam's gone mad,
With the weapons that he had,
(And he tried to kill your dad),
Bomb Iraq.

If your corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.
If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.
If your politics are sleazy,
And hiding that ain't easy,
And your manhood's getting queasy,
Bomb Iraq.

Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq.

For our might knows not our borders, bomb Iraq.
Disagree? We'll call it treason,
Let's make war not love this season,
Even if we have no reason,
Bomb Iraq.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
I got it on e-mail, it's superfunny :p

Saddam is mostly a threat to his own country, not the US - but they don't get that.

Bush was not pre-occupied with Irak in his first year, but Dick Cheney (who was involved in 91') has appearantly been bitching about Irak since Bush got elected. Supposedly he was not happy failing to remove Hussein the last time.

Trond.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
just to clear things up.

we are not making a "preemptive" strike. we are simply enforcing the surrender agreement signed by saddam. he signed the agreement in order to stay in power the first time, he broke his promise to disarm, so if we go to war, it's to enforce that agreement. the world agreed on it in '91, now everybody's scared.