Quantcast

20 for 25

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Its late in the season but I'm finally there...

I measure myself on my ability to cover a particular 25 mile loop near my home, the loop includes 2 bridges, 4 traffic signals and one 4 mile climb that is about 600 or 700 feet. My season of riding begins when I can average 20 MPH for the entire loop, traffic signals and all.

Today I did the 25 miles in 1:14 and change or 20.01 average. This means rocking along at 22 to 24 on the flats, never under 18 on the "climb" and about 30 to 35 downhill. Winds where 10 to 15 from the SW so head-on was only about 6 of the 25 miles. Of course I hit all the traffic signals but only had to do a standing start once. :thumb:

Terrific ride... I'm stoked. :) :) :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
outstanding.

I've been improving my speed too. I'm not going to say what, cuz it doesn't compare, but I'm happy nonetheless :)

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Mucho congratulations SM.... :thumb: I have a similar loop that i use as a benchmark to gauge my fitness.I am not yet where i want to be but gettin close.My training partner is a Cat3 and i spent the beginning of the season chasing him but now i am hanging with him and even puullin away at times.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
My :) :) :) beats your :) without even trying. :blah:
Yeah, but you're not THREE TIMES faster than me :blah:

Ok, here's my progress and it's really due to my girl who's much faster out of the gate, but then I'm pulling her at hours 3 & 4. Her endurance is increasing and my speed is increasing. Anywho...

I ride twice around Cherry Creek reservoir and used to do it at 15mph. Now, I'm going 17-17.5mph for 18 miles :)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
GravityFreakTJ said:
Mucho congratulations SM.... :thumb: I have a similar loop that i use as a benchmark to gauge my fitness.I am not yet where i want to be but gettin close.My training partner is a Cat3 and i spent the beginning of the season chasing him but now i am hanging with him and even puullin away at times.
Keep it up! Sometime this fall you should come down and ride Clingmans dome from Townsend with me. Well, I'll get Shawn and Magnuson so you can get some action.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
spoke80 said:
Keep it up! Sometime this fall you should come down and ride Clingmans dome from Townsend with me. Well, I'll get Shawn and Magnuson so you can get some action.

Sounds good to me.Maybe if i come down to pick my frame up from Doug and its not jungles of Africa hot like it is now :dead: when can get a ride in then.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
nice job peeps

my last guageable ride, was monday the day after doing an XC race........

50 miles out n back, leaving from my door step, mostly flat.......last years best, going as hard as I could was a 17.0 avg, monday (and I definitely could have went harder - my avg HR was only 130), I had a 17.5 avg

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Good job! :D That's a major milestone. To me the 20mph average is like the sound barrier, breaking it solo means I can ride with the fast roadie group on Sunday.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
indieboy said:
well atleast you were honest. i shouldn't tell you that i did a century and took it easy should i?
No you shouldn't... I still think I can do a solo century in the 5 1/2 hour range but it would have to be pretty flat. Group rides are becoming more attractive to me... drafting rocks. :monkey:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
this was very very very rolling and i did it in a small group. i drove it most of the way. just kept it easy. my best friend's dad went out there with me and it was the longest ride he'd ever done. everyonce in a while he'd fall off on like a small climb and i'd roll off and go pull him back into the group. i took off with like 3 miles to go b/c i wanted atleast one good effort in. so i ended up coming in at 5:08