Quantcast

20" geo

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
i was wanting to get into the 20" scene but am clueless on frame selection. what geo is most common or going to feel like a small riot. i love my riot and want something that feels like a compact one. dunno if thats possible but let me know if you have any advice on 20" frame geo

thanks guys

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
a 20" will feel completely different. i dont think there is a 20" in the world that is as slack as a riot. you'll definitely will have to readjust.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a 20" will feel completely different. i dont think there is a 20" in the world that is as slack as a riot. you'll definitely will have to readjust.
Yup. If possible, ride a few friends bikes before picking one out. Make sure you get the right size (based on TT) as well. Coming from a larger sized bike, its better to err on the long side. I'm 6'1", my Kink is a 20.5" TT, but I need at least a 21" or 21.5" TT. Been trying to find some people w/ those size frames to try so I can figure out which one.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
What do you want it for? 20" geo doesn't vary all that much, but there are a couple of things that you can look out for...
TT length is fairly critical, I would not go less than 21".
Chainstay length. Short for lots of spin tricks, street/park style riding. Longer for trails. (Less loopy, more stable.)
Head angle. Steep (75) for street/park more slack for stability on trails (74). Head angles on bmx don't vary much beyond that one degree range.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I'm 6', so anything less than 21 feels really short to me.
Also, coming from an mtb, anything less than 21 will feel a bit cramped. You probably wouldn't need anything bigger than 21, but I would still recommend that size to you. It'll give you a slightly longer wheelbase, and be a little more forgiving.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I'm 5'8" like you, and few days ago i rode 2 diff bmx bikes:
A volume 20,5" and a Fit S3 in 21"
The 20'5 felt very cramped and twichy and too short for manuals and hoops
With the 21" S3 i felt like in my own bike after a couple of minutes so i would get a 21" and maybe after riding for a couple of months and get really in use with BMX riding, then try moving to a 20,75"