Quantcast

20" help

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Okay I’ve been fooling around on my old 20” for the past month or so. It’s a 98 or 99 Gary Fisher Pure Bender Flip. Nothing special with it, one piece crank, plastic pedals, brakes that don’t work, wheels that spin – barely, a gyro and other low grade components.

So I want to have a 20” DJ/Street bike that I can go to when I don’t feel like riding the 26”. Is this frame worth doing anything too, it has open bearings in the BB and threaded cups. The welds on the frame don’t look that deep so I’m a little weary about it snapping on me. I think the fork may be a bent forward too, and the dropout gussets on the front and back are freakin’ huge.

If the above is just ****, which I assume it is since I bought it when I didn’t know **** about good bikes, I need some good suggestions on a less expensive, bare bones DJ’ing bike. I’m 6’ tall, 170 lbs and pretty light on the wheels, so nothing too beefy; I also like a lighter bike. So either some suggestion on solid bikes I could get off ebay or local, or a cheaper full build new bike.

Thanks

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Fit's a good complete. Going used is iffy on bmx, some of these guys beat the hell outta their 20's. I bought my 20 used and pretty much had to replace everything, the only thing I have that's original is the cranks which will be replaced when I have the bread. The Flow series from Fit is nice, I believe their top end is brakeless =)

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i picked up a fuse4 from specialized.

it was a nice bike, and i thought it was going to be great. it was 27.75lbs stock, no pegs.

i bought it about 2 weeks before my friend built up his custom Superstar. His turned out to be 22.5lbs, no pegs or brakes---and it felt solid.

after being able to be so nimble and land the **** i had been unable to do on my bike, i went out and ordered some new stuff to cut the weight of my bike. I bought: Oddysey Classic Race fork, Premium Aero front wheel(3/8"), KHE Premium Street Tires, Elementary V2 stem, and United Squad 8" bars. thats in the mail now, so i'll give you an update...but thats just my little story reguarding MY bmx complete experience. Frames are so cheap, i think building a bike will be nice, cause it will ahve everything you want.

Also, a little side note...teh specialized sprocket had an awkward size center hole on it, that uses a spacer/shim deal to go onto the spindle. when i tried to put my fly sprocket on, the shim didnt fit in the hole, and therefor it wasnt centered on the spindle. i think basically that means that either my sprocket has a weird hole(doubtful, i've used it on profiles, no problem), or these cranks/sprocket only work with each other. i have a feeling i'll be purchasing a set up cranks in the near future...add that to the total.
at this rate, i'm just gonna save all my parts, buy a Fit S3 frame down the line, and build this one back up to sell it.