Quantcast

2001 Foes DHS shock size??? Help please!

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
So I've got a 2001 Foes DHS Tube with a Vanilla RC shock. I love the frame, it fits me perfect, works well and is built solid, so I want to keep riding it. I'd love to upgrade to a VPFree but the funds just aren't happening.
So anyway......the shock on there now is a 2.75"x8.75" which seems to work fine but I don't think it's the shock that came originally on the bike. I'd like to get a DHX or a 5th, but I just want to confirm the shock size that came with the bike before I throw down the cash. I emailed Foes but haven't heard back.
So does anyone happen to know what size shock the frame came with?

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I'm pretty sure 8.72" is what came stock, I just measured mine (a 2000/2001 DHS tube) to be sure and that is what mine was too. Are you thinking it is too long or short? Also I'd be concerned that thoes shocks might not fit on there because the resi is too tall/far from the rest of the shock, so it will hit the seat tube (the closest the foes has anyway). The only other shock I've seen on a DHS is a romic. You might also consider geting your RC "pushed," I've been thinking about doing that for a while.

I'm interested to here what happens here so send me a PM when you get this worked out.

after making some measuremets it looks to me like at most a vanilla resi has .75" of vertical clearance at bottom out, and a similar amount towards the seattube. I would guess that a DHX resi is about that much bigger and a bit larger in diamater as well. I wouldn't buy a new shock without knowing for sure that it will fit.

zak