Quantcast

2001 Specialized DH for trail bike?

bad mechanic

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
I've been looking at frames to build up for a trail/light DH bike. Something that I can ride cross country if I want. I stumbled across a 2001 Specialized DH frame that seems like it might fit the bill. Some of the other frames I've been looking at are the Kona Coiler, Giant AC, new Straight 6, etc. I seem to remember the 2001 frames being relatively light and think it might do fairly well. Thoughts?

The frame:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Not a bad frame, but I don't remember them being on the lighter side. I knew a few racers on them. Most broke. Heavier than my M-1 of the same vintage.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
there might be a lot of pedal bob coming form the back end, what i recomend out of the other bikes you've been looking at is the Kona coiler, if you're looking to buy new i would recomend the coiler, it's a good do it all bike, a friend of mine ahs one and does dh/fr/dj/trails with it and it seems to be going well for him. The straight 6 might also be a good option.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
actually they are pretty light. I had one and it weighed in at a tad under 10lbs w/ shock (fox vanilla rc). Yes I was surprised at first too. Compared to bikes of today, the geometry is way off. Long chainstays, long TT, long wheelbase. I had/have a large size one and compared to most other bikes it felt like a boat. Not very agile but it is super stable at high speeds. I think part of the problem w/ the one I had was that it was too big for me (granted it was my first DH bike and I got it for a steal). How tall are you and what size is the frame? If it fits right then it would be ok for a trail bike. But unless you are strapped for cash I'd look elsewhere. There are a lot of nice trail/freeride bikes at a good budget nowadays.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It is nearly 18" long in the backend, low slack, heavy, has too much travel for trail riding and bobs pretty bad with the RC. Really great DH bike though. My friend just had his RC pushed, and the bike rides beautifully as a DH bike. He tried riding xc on it for a month or so when he first got it, but that was just a bad, bad idea.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
SuspectDevice said:
It is nearly 18" long in the backend, low slack, heavy, has too much travel for trail riding and bobs pretty bad with the RC. Really great DH bike though. My friend just had his RC pushed, and the bike rides beautifully as a DH bike. He tried riding xc on it for a month or so when he first got it, but that was just a bad, bad idea.
Josh says it actually has 18.5 inch chain stays!

There are much better options out there for a trail bike frame.

bad mechanic

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
I'm 6' and 150 pounds and could pick up a frame in either small or medium. I haven't found any place which has it's geometry listed though.

I'm very open to suggestions. I'm doing this on a budget and I'm not afraid to buy something several years old (if it's in good shape). So far, aside from this frame, my best lead is a Giant AC frame with a Manitou SPV shock for a decent price.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Keep hunting. I've sold some mint bikes here like the Uzzi SLX and the Foes Fly. The Uzzi would have been a great trail bike, but I would take the Fly over it just because it was so versatile and stiff.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Superdeft said:
I wish they'd bring that design back with more modern geo/travel. I've never been a huge fan of the demo or enduro series.
I rode one of the original DH's and have always regretted not buying one of the later frames they made before they switched to the Bighit. I rode a 2002 bighit until last year, and it was good, but the TT was way too short and although I hate to jump on the 24-bashin' bandwagon, I didn't like being forced into a 24" wheel. Regardless of whether it rolled well, I hated being limited as to which rims and tires I could use. I also still ride a 2002 Enduro, and I think it's a confused bike. It doesn't pedal great, but it's pretty spindly. It's BB is too low to be very usable on the trail, but the other angles are too steep to make it much good for anything high speed. I haven't spent very much time on a D8 or D9, but my guess is that they're closer to the original S-Works DH. I've been thinking about trying to get enough interest together to make a limited run M1-ish FSR bike similar to the S-Works DH. I'd want it very low, long in the top tube and slack. It's funny that Specialized put something like that out in 2001. Titus made a 4-bar DH bike for a while (may still be made) and I believe the geometry was customer-specific. I agree with the previous posters that the geometry of the S-Works DH won't make a grea trail bike. Although its travel and weight are similar to a Giant AC, the AC is a very different bike. The AC has more usable seat tube, front derailleru compatibility and uses a Manitou rigid shock (I think they call those things SPV or platform or something). Anyway, the rigid shock makes the bike pedal like a hardtail, which is better for climbing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stgil888 said:
I've been thinking about trying to get enough interest together to make a limited run M1-ish FSR bike similar to the S-Works DH. I'd want it very low, long in the top tube and slack. It's funny that Specialized put something like that out in 2001. Titus made a 4-bar DH bike for a while (may still be made) and I believe the geometry was customer-specific.
Many many companies have/had been making M1 clones for a long time now.

Norco, Azonic, Iron Horse, Titus (you're thinking Supermoto, though I wouldn't call it an M1 clone), plenty of Euro companies not restricted by the Horst patent, I'm sure the list can go on...

Big S is now making the Big Hit in a 26 inch version. Not sure how the geometry is, but there was a dude racing one in the pro cat at DV on Sunday, so I'm assuming racy.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Does Titus still make a Supermoto with a DH link? I have seen some around, but they're all shorter travel w/ air shocks and single crowns. I haven't seen any in person, but I have read about the Azonics. I guess if you utilized all the different geometry options you'd eventually get the same basic layout as an M1, but you might have to try 89 other combinations first. I have ridden an SGS, but from my experience the Medium SGS felt shorter in the top tube and a little more upright (might have been how it was set up) than a Medium M1. I am pretty curious about the 26" Bighit. I was always tempted to get one of those BETD 26" conversions for my 24" Bighit when I was riding it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BikerBoy28 said:
How much travel? Cuz I have a giant AC for trades if you don't like the FSR.
I don't think he's bought it yet...

I think sizing on the SGS is weird. I have a medium and it feels short on top...I probably should be on a large (I'm 6'0), not to mention the 165mm rear hub spacing.

Here's a Super-Moto setup for DH:

I'm not sure what the geometry is, as they have a bajillion linkages for it. Looks steeper and shorter than an M1, though.