Quantcast

2002 Giant DH Team Rear Shock

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
I'm planning on replacing my rear shock for my Giant DH Team. Unfortunately, according to Giant, the length I need is a 9 x 2.75in rear shock. The Fox DHX only comes close with the 8.75 x2.75in shock length. So here is my questions. Does anyone know whether the Manitou Swinger 6 will fit on my bike and if it does, would you recommend this shock? I have heard Fox being better, however, I don't really have a choice. I have also looked at the Progressive 5th. Please let me know with your opinions, thanks!

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
manitou doesnt make a shock in that length either, does it? running an 8.75 i2i wouldnt be bad either, i dont think... i dont know as much about the giants though

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
SteezyWeezy said:
manitou doesnt make a shock in that length either, does it? running an 8.75 i2i wouldnt be bad either, i dont think... i dont know as much about the giants though
Yes they do...

From this site:
http://www.answerproducts.com/items.asp?deptid=12&itemid=40

Available Sizes: Eye to Eye X Shaft Travel = 190 X 50 (7.5" X 2.0"); 200 X 50 (7.875" X 2.0"); 215 X 63 (8.5" X 2.5"); 222 X 70 (8.75" X 2.75"); 230 X 70 (9.0" X 2.75"); 240 X 76 (9.5" X 3.0")

I would also look at the rocco from Marz too.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
A rocco wouldn't fit in the confines of the frame, and neither would a DHX. Space wise a Romic, Vanilla RC or Swinger/progressive are your only options. Personally I would go for a pushed Vanilla RC if I was still riding my old giant.
#edit# an Avy DHS or Montie would also fit.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you can use a vanilla RC in 8,75 length i know for i have seen it done.

the very very best you could do would be to go for a 9/3" avy dhs, that will keep your geometry but increase travel.

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
I appreciate everyone's responses so far! Now, about at the Vanilla RC and the Avy DHS. The RC has a piggyback reservoir, while the DHS has a remote reservoir. When I contacted Giant, they recommended a rear shock that has piggyback oil ports. So, if I chose to go with the DHS, would the configuration of that shock conflict with the rear swingarm's range of motion or function?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Keyz said:
I appreciate everyone's responses so far! Now, about at the Vanilla RC and the Avy DHS. The RC has a piggyback reservoir, while the DHS has a remote reservoir. When I contacted Giant, they recommended a rear shock that has piggyback oil ports. So, if I chose to go with the DHS, would the configuration of that shock conflict with the rear swingarm's range of motion or function?
Running an Avy DHS should work without a problem. Narlus here on RM uses one on his Giant.