Quantcast

2002 Inense M1 Owners? Or have owned?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Guys I was looking at my friends 2002 M1 the other night trying to help him set it up better for DH racing. It has a 5th Element shock on it. I went to drop the back shock eyelet to the lower of the three shock mount holes to setup the bike slaker for him. The problem we ran into was the Shock/Spring would not drop in between the two upper links to put the Eyelet in the lower setting because they were to big around. It also looked like the spring and collar were hitting the links in the upper settings already.

Has anyone else had this problem? What shocks are or have you guys used on your M1's? I have recommended him to pick up a Fox DHX 5.0 coil, but we want to know if it will work or not first. I will try to get some pics of it soon and post up.

He did call up Intense and explain to them what was going on, but they said that is just the way it is and no one runs the rear eyelet in the lower hole of the upper links.

I call BS on that one. Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Cecil

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
actualy that is true. The 2001 pivot link for alot of that year was the 2000 link borred out to fit. The 2002 and later I think were adjusted to fit. I reccomment an avey to replace the 5th. The high shoch ratios are tough on dhx's

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
actualy that is true. The 2001 pivot link for alot of that year was the 2000 link borred out to fit. The 2002 and later I think were adjusted to fit. I reccomment an avey to replace the 5th. The high shoch ratios are tough on dhx's
So the 2002 had the newer fixed link so you could use the 3 different shock mount holes? because his is a 2002.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Ya know, with a 7" travel fork, the middle hole of the three provides some of the best DH bike geometry ever built.

I ran my 2001 M1 in the lower hole, and it definitely hindered the bike a lot.

My buddy still rides an '02 M1 with a 5th Element, and I far prefer that geometry over my Sunday. The old 5th Element shocks aren't half bad at all. As long as everything is set up properly, that bike is still capable of a World Cup podium.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
My 2002 uses all the holes if need be. I've always left it in the middle hole though.

I think you could get a romic or 5th on there. I still have my bike with the 5th though. I had to re-setup the shock as I've lost weight but on TF tuned shocks website there's a general M1 setup that progressive listed. I might have saved it as well. It gives some general guidelines for intense bikes.

DHX doesn't fit nor CCDB. The 5th (which it was designed around), the romic, and older fox vanilla RC's with the correct eye to eye will fit. Avy's also will fit.

The ONLY DHX that will fit is the ones from the Turners that used the remote piggyback.

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
i'm running a 5th element shock on an 02 M1 myself and when i had the shock at tftuned they recommended me the followeing setup to begin with:

you might have to fine tune it a bit but it's a good starting point.

about the lower mounting position:
is it only working in the longer chainsatay option?
i only tried it with short stays and it's not working on my medium size fame.
my link is machined out a bit so i got no problem with the spring hitting anything but the tire is not only hitting seat it is also hitting the seatube. it's not even close. with a 2,5'' Highroller the tire touches the seattube pretty much at the same time as the ending bumper on the shock gets contact with the shock body. so there are still like 2'' of travel left from this point.

is it working out in the longer chainstay setting? I'm just a bit concerned the bike might get too sluggish with the long stays and lower head angle.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Guys the problem he has is the Shock Spring hits the upper links in the high setting and will not drop threw the two links to install the shock in the lower setting on the links. The shock he is running is the 5th El. The problem is the outer diameter of the shock and spring. He wants the bike to be a little slacker in its settings.

Thanks

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i'm running an romic shock on my '02 m1 without any problems. so if your having problems with the 5th element and like spunger said the dhx won't work [ i don't remember seeing any dhx shocks for this year of m1 so it's not bs] i suggest buying a romic shock.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Use the middle position, the best geo is there. On my link the lowest mount wasn't even threaded.

The Fox DHX doesn't fit, unless you have the remote reservior one for the DHR. My buddy mounted one to his and it made for THE best riding M1 I've ever touched. The Rocco might fit, not sure.

The M1 is an amazing bike, I sorta miss mine. Even though there are a lot more "modern" bike, it just rides brilliantly.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I had a 2002 and 2003 M1, both bikes did not have threads in the bottom hole on the shock mount. The geo in the middle hole is pretty good, slack and low bb. If you are riding really fast stuff make sure the chain stays/wheelbase ar ein the long setting.

I do mostly technical east coast stuff and I found that the middle hole up front and a short wheelbase worked best. I only went to the long wheelbase for Mount Snow and MSA.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I know what you are talking about and you have to machine/file down the inside of the link a bit to get the spring to clear the link. It is not a lot of filing but never the less needs to be done if you want to run the low hole. Careful, it gets pretty low in the 3rd hole. I have 2 frames downstairs if you need pics.

Mark

Chimp
Oct 8, 2001
England
Does anyone know if the newer generation Vanilla R with the piggback would fit an 02 M1?

I can't find a vanilla RC anywhere in the correct dimensions. They seem quite rare.

Thanks

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I have one, it's cracked arount the eye, if you have another one you can canibalise, you can have it for price of postage