Quantcast

2002 Kona Stinkey Delux. Good Deal??

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
old, tall, heavy, bad parts, raked out. . .

Kinda depends what you're using it for and what your riding level is though for the money I'd be looking for a bullit or a 7 point 3 or something.

Could be a fun play bike for shuttles/lifts but it's going to be a pig to push around on trails even with the front der. and it was never intended as a dh race bike.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
First off that's an 03, not an 02.

I had that exact same frame in 04. It rode pretty well, it if definitely a taller frame and if you're under 6' it might feel too tall for you. Other than that it wasn't too heavy compared to similar frames from that time.

The parts aren't horrible... and that fork will work if you get some lower crowns for it.

ETA: For some reason I thought it had a drop-off triple for a fork....

Last edited:

mserko1

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Bellingham, WA
First off that's an 03, not an 02.

I had that exact same frame in 04. It rode pretty well, it if definitely a taller frame and if you're under 6' it might feel too tall for you. Other than that it wasn't too heavy compared to similar frames from that time.

The parts aren't horrible... and that fork will work if you get some lower crowns for it.

ETA: For some reason I thought it had a drop-off triple for a fork....
Well I'm 6'3" so I don't think the height would be a problem.

mserko1

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Yeah thats pretty much the kinda bike I'm looking for. Back in high school when I rode basically every day I have a K2 Bumpy Monkey that I bought at our local sale. I put an 03 Jr T on it and just beat the **** out of it. It was definitely not meant for what I did to it. But then about a year and a half ago it got stolen, so I've been bikeless since. Now I'm just tryin to get back into it.

biobike

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
I rode that frame and shock w/ a Jr. T for three years. The geometry was pretty decent for climbing and it felt very stable at speed but wasn't very nimble. I have been riding an '07 stinky frame w/ an '05 boxxer and it is much more responsive and fun to ride. btw I will sell you the '07 and with the boxxer for the same price.

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
There are crazy deals on newer, better spec'd konas on ebay. Or just bikes in general. It's a buyers market right now, that's for sure. Keep lookin!

mserko1

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I rode that frame and shock w/ a Jr. T for three years. The geometry was pretty decent for climbing and it felt very stable at speed but wasn't very nimble. I have been riding an '07 stinky frame w/ an '05 boxxer and it is much more responsive and fun to ride. btw I will sell you the '07 and with the boxxer for the same price.
Check you pm's.