Quantcast

2002 Kona Stinky + Evil guide issues

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
first off, it's one of the "actual" Evil guides, before e.13.

that's the frame i'm dealing with.

ok, so when i put on the ISCG plate, 2 things happen...

1) if the guide is in it's proper place, the ISCG plate will hit the lower pivot on the frame, and as such, will need to be rotated clockwise a little...

2) if the ISCG plate is in it's proper place, the lower roller on the guide will hit the chainstay, and the ISCG plate will need to be rotated counter-clockwise a little...return back to 1)

sliding the lower assembly forward on the backplate is not an option because it will be underneath the bash guard. i will call e13 tomorrow, just trying to get some quick suggestions.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
the Inbred said:
first off, it's one of the "actual" Evil guides, before e.13.

that's the frame i'm dealing with.

ok, so when i put on the ISCG plate, 2 things happen...

1) if the guide is in it's proper place, the ISCG plate will hit the lower pivot on the frame, and as such, will need to be rotated clockwise a little...

2) if the ISCG plate is in it's proper place, the lower roller on the guide will hit the chainstay, and the ISCG plate will need to be rotated counter-clockwise a little...return back to 1)

sliding the lower assembly forward on the backplate is not an option because it will be underneath the bash guard. i will call e13 tomorrow, just trying to get some quick suggestions.

I dont know what year your guide is, but you should take a picture of the bolts and send it to Jonas. That way he can figure it out. Some of the first couple generation SRS guides supported the Mr Dirt A standard and ISCG standard, so there were more holes and less adjustment. Later versions had no A-standard holes (only 3 slots), but less adjustment than the 04-05 back plates , which have a ton of adjustment. The new ISCG05 plates have even MORE adjustment than the standard ISCG plate.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i'm gonna try to get pictures tomorrow. cam battery died and i'm going batty trying to find the charger. the guide is an '02, i believe. it has the ISCG holes, as well as 2 other holes. A standard? it was my guide, but the guy with the Stinky bought it from me and i'm trying to help him with getting it setup.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
I had that stinky and fitted an e-13 guide to it for a couple of weeks. I didnt use the iscg mounts and used the e-13 supplied plate. It took a bit of playing with but it worked sweet.

Dan

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I had a similar prob on my 03 stinky, I filed a notch into the roller backplate (the plastic piece) so I could rotate it up a little more. Works fine for me.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
did that, but had to move the roller forward so that the front plastic part would clear the chainstay. that didn't work 'cause the bashguard would end up on top of the roller. the chainstays on those Stinkies are dang fat.

from Jonas: There seems to be an issue with the main pivot placement on that bike and our guide. The overlap with the ISCG adapter is the main problem. To get the adapter plate is it's correct position you'd have to file away about 3-4mm of material.This is the only cure I am aware of - which also means grinding down the ISCG bolt that is in the upper hole of the plate. The DRS backplate will work without mods, though. Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast in this case. They'd have to widen the BB shell to get ISCG tabs on the frame. It's not really meant for single ring guides. Sorry I don't have a happy answer for you on this one Dustin. If this doesn't make any sense or you feel like kicking me in the nuts please feel free to let me know.
thanks.
J

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I had an older Evil branded DRS on a 2001.5 Stinky (same frame), and I had to machine down the top of the boomerang to clear the pivot bearings of the frame. That entailed cutting the E-type mount off and milling the boomerang to clear the pivot. After this, it fit awesome. But this is an SRS, isn't it? Perhaps thinning out the material near the pivot would do the trick?

Edit: no ISCG, boomerang was held in by the bb cup on mine.