Quantcast

2003 LeMond Tourmalet

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi,
I'm a newbie to road biking but I'm looking for an entry level bike to get my feet wet. I want to ride some Tris this summer, but I don't necessarily think I'll need a Tri bike, not yet.

I found a 2003 LeMond Tourmalet on the local craigslist, in what appears to be my size (57cm, which is the toptube length that would probably be best for me, 34in inseam). The guy wants $500, and the bike is mostly stock. I have a sweet sweet set of topolino wheels which I will hang on it, and then I have 1800 sets of mtb clipless pedals which I'll probably use.

Is $500 too much for that bike? Should I offer less, or wait for something else to come along? I don't care much for the latest and greatest, and I've always been a steel fan....then again the carbon spoke wheels should mask any qualities the steel frame gives, so I could probably do anything.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i think 500 is a little to much for a stock lemond. did you try offering the guy less or i think you will have better luck finding a nice starter roadie on ebay.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hi,
I'm a newbie to road biking but I'm looking for an entry level bike to get my feet wet. I want to ride some Tris this summer, but I don't necessarily think I'll need a Tri bike, not yet.

I found a 2003 LeMond Tourmalet on the local craigslist, in what appears to be my size (57cm, which is the toptube length that would probably be best for me, 34in inseam). The guy wants $500, and the bike is mostly stock. I have a sweet sweet set of topolino wheels which I will hang on it, and then I have 1800 sets of mtb clipless pedals which I'll probably use.

Is $500 too much for that bike? Should I offer less, or wait for something else to come along? I don't care much for the latest and greatest, and I've always been a steel fan....then again the carbon spoke wheels should mask any qualities the steel frame gives, so I could probably do anything.
How do you juave have a set of topolinos? I want some! :D

It's an 853 with CF fork and mostly Tiagra parts. $500 is fair enough for a quality bike like that and 2000 miles isn't that much on a bike like this.

However, you could probably find a 2006-2007 NOS of similar quality/'level' for the same money.

If it's in excellent condition and fits well, sure, ask $400 cash. I suppose it depends upon how much effort you want to put into finding a bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
How do you juave have a set of topolinos? I want some! :D

It's an 853 with CF fork and mostly Tiagra parts. $500 is fair enough for a quality bike like that and 2000 miles isn't that much on a bike like this.

However, you could probably find a 2006-2007 NOS of similar quality/'level' for the same money.

If it's in excellent condition and fits well, sure, ask $400 cash. I suppose it depends upon how much effort you want to put into finding a bike.
Agreed. It's not a terrible price, but you could do better. The components are nothing special, but the frame is nicer than the components would indicate.