Quantcast

2003 Manitou dorado top crown problems

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Hey,

I have a 2003 manitou dorado and have serious problems with my dorado crowns. When i put the top crown on, the fork compresses fine without tightening the screws. Once i tighten the screws, the fork does not compress at all. note: when putting the top crown on, I had to take all the bolts out and "strecth/pull/yank" the crown's leg area as the crown's entire width did not look like they would fit the width between the 2 legs. Are dorado crowns supposed to be "stretched/yanked" to fit the 2 legs or do i have the wrong sized crown? Im beggining to think I recieved the wrong dorado top crown and maybe this crown is from a 2002 or 2001 year. is there any difference between these years in terms of crown sizing? Secondly, if i have a crack in my lower dorado crown, could i possibly take it to a welder to have them fix the crack or would it just weaken it even more? Also, if anyone has top or bottom dorado crowns for sale, please pm me or contact me...you would be my lifesaver!!! let me know as always what u guys have thanks so much.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
AFAIK all pre 05 top crowns are the same. (30mm stanchions model)

and dont take you crown to a welder... its toast, get a new one.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
thanks dhkid for the info....if its not the crown sizing then why does my fork lock up totally when i tighten my top crowns? I know that the crown causes the 2 legs to flex a little because of the difference in width btwn the top and bottom crown but shouldn't this not be a problem? i am really stumped...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
My first guess is that you have the axle set up so that it pinches the lower legs tight against the hub..and thus your fork legs are not parallel, rather in a slight 'V' shape. The dorado hex-loc axle is designed to float at the larger hex end (non disc side iirc)to allow the legs to become perfectly parallel. Try completely loosening the pinch bolts on the larger of the two hex ends and then put on the top crown and see what happens. You will most likely need to cycle the fork a few times to get the fork to find its natural position.

Now without pushing/pulling, tighten the loosened pinch bolts. This may leave a gap between your hub and the fork depending on the exact width of the hub etc...but this is how the fork was designed.

As far as the lower crown, you need a new one, and it will be very hard to find.