Quantcast

2005 Clifcat Hardtails

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
Heres some pix of the 2005 Clifcat Hardtails, the orange is the new Tankass w/ skid gaurds. The Black is the New for 2005 Hotshot , an all mountain frame, this is a prototype, but you can get with a Mtn BB or BMX.
Both are 100% Cromo and hand made in NY, USA, look for a build soon on RM.
Post some thoughts :thumb:

Attachments

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
The Tank is super nice!! The geometry looks to have changed a little since the 03's. I just might have to replace mine. I like that it's gone back to the thick tube chainstays, that's what made it a TankASS in my opinion.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
The Hotshot is available in ANY size, and BB. The Horizontal dropouts are so you can SS it, which is what Im going to do with this one. Its a do anything frame is more the classification..again, this one is #1 and is a prototype, and one reason for the thread, its nice to see opinons before you crank out more frames.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
7.5 pounds for the Hotshot, it might be a bit lighter, but Im 200 pounds and plan on doing everything with this frame, so I wanted a thicker tubeset.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
AA_Freeze said:
7.5 pounds for the Hotshot
That's a little extreme for an "all mountain" frame, don't you think? Most all mountain hardtail frames come in at a pound and a half to two or more pounds lighter... and you don't see many broken burly all mountain hardtail frames.

Hell, my Imperial frame is as burly as it gets - certainly a match, strength wise, for any hardtail frame on the market, and only weighs in at a hair over six pounds.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Have to keep in mind that this is a one off prototype folks - my hopes would be that it would be lighter when final runs are done on it.

I would re-label it as something other than "all mountain" though. Maybe something like multi-purpose would be more applicable because I'd say it leans more towards the DJ, urban, FR hardtail side of things vs. a trail bike or all mountain hardtail side.

What I'd like to see is someone who could bring in a DMR Switchback and build it up into a trail bike hardtail - but for some reason the Switchback is the one DMR frame that is unavailable through BTI or QBP methinks. I wonder why???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Have to keep in mind that this is a one off prototype folks - my hopes would be that it would be lighter when final runs are done on it.
While that's true, Clifcat has a history of extremely heavy bikes. There were a couple threads about a pretty lightweight DH frame, so they may be heading in another direction, but their track record indicates heaver-than-necessary as pretty likely :)

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
Hey, thanks for all the feedback, more Freeride oriented is definately the direct the Black frame is headed. 7.5 pounds for a cromo frame isnt that far off track, there are different guages of tubing, but this is the one that worked for what Im gonna do with the bike. The round tubing used last year on the Tankass wasnt a big favorite, so back to what you see here. Its forums like RM that help point manufacturers in the right direction. Thanks for everyones opinion, positive or Negative, its all appreciated. :thumb:

I am going to use a 6" single crown, any thoughts what you guys would like to see? I will put what fork gets the most props on the bike..just let me know.
I havent had a chance to try out the new RS Pikes, so thats where I was leaning.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
AA_Freeze said:
more Freeride oriented is definately the direct the Black frame is headed.
:thumb: You don't think there will be too much overlap between the two frame designs, then?

I am going to use a 6" single crown, any thoughts what you guys would like to see?
No idea about the RockShox, but I've been really looking forward to getting a little more feedback about the Marzocchi AM1. In an ideal world I'd love to take the AM1 uppers/cartridges/etc. and bolt them onto a set of 20mm Z.1 lowers. A little weight savings and the features of the AM1 combined with the security of a 20mm axle...

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
the geometry is totally different between the 2, and also, the Tankass is designed for Street and Park, and is really a SS frame, you can use a deraileur , but that isnt its focus. The AM series from Marz has tons of great features, and I agree 20mm all the way :D

Would love to put a 6" 66RC on it, but the weight would be a big factor in this situation.

My favorite still is and allways will be the oryginal version w/the 20mm rear axle that used the RAZOR-ROCK hub!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

After owning one of these, I rode some dudes EVIL IMPERIAL, and alls I could not get my mind off of was the flex comin' from the rear of the evil...:eek:

That blew away any confidence I had in the EVIL!!!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Urban FR'er 666 said:
My favorite still is and allways will be the oryginal version w/the 20mm rear axle that used the RAZOR-ROCK hub!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

After owning one of these, I rode some dudes EVIL IMPERIAL, and alls I could not get my mind off of was the flex comin' from the rear of the evil...:eek:

That blew away any confidence I had in the EVIL!!!
Do you know what psychosomatic means?

Tankass: I like the frame, except for the huge stays. I don't think they're neccassary.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
Do you know what psychosomatic means?
Yep.

You're full of crap, man, if you're flex in the back of an Evil Imperial.

If you weren't simply imagining something, it's more likely that the wheel was poorly built than the back of the bike was flexy.