Quantcast

2005 Nicolai Helius FR (becaue you asked)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I've had requests from pretty much everyone who found out that I've been building one of these up to post pictures once it's done. Well, I took it for it's first ride today despite a healing wrist. It was worth the ride, this thing is amazing. While the suspension leaves a little to be desired compared to my VP-Free w/ Roco, the DHX Air and '06 Nixon Elite both do their job adroitly. I never bottomed, always had super-plush travel, and the best part was the pedaling. Not only would the suspension suck up obstacles while I was pedaling uphill and do an amazing job on the DH, the coolest thing was cranking the Pro Pedal up on the way down, and having the ability to pedal the bike out of corners as if it were a hardtail - truly amazing. For the record, I weigh 185 and have 175lbs in the main chamber, 100lbs in the boost valve, and just barely two white lines showing on the bottom out resistance knob. Rebound is at 6 turns out from all fast, and the ProPedal varies greatly. The leverage ratio on this bike in the setting I have it in is ~2.6.
This is the first time I have had non-DH tires and a full-tubeless setup too, and they feel crazy! This bike is light (though I haven't weighed it yet), effortless to pedal, and just plain fun. The Horst Link 4-Bar really makes a difference over a non-Horst 4-Bar. Anyway, enough blabbing, here's the two pictures I just took:

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Those old Octopus aren't up to par with the new generation...especially with your setup with the small 2.3 being ran as front. no no!

The new Barracudas are leaps and bounds better than the 2.3 Octo. UST tubeless ready as well.

Nice frame btw. I still have my 3 yr old Mpire.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
That 2.3" is working great for my purposes, mainly hard trail riding. I still am healing from the broken wrist, so no FR yet. That Octopus rocks, seriously. I haven't had it in mud yet, so we'll see how it does there, as well as when I really start to push it the more my wrist gets healed. But I really felt good with it today. The Kinetics is a great cheap Stick-E rear tire. I just hope it keeps holding tubeless air. When that Octopus gives me problems, or I need to buy a new rear when the Kinetics stops holding air, I'll get a Barracuda for winter riding. I think that tread pattern is my favorite of all time for anything but hardpack. Probably because it's Michelin's pattern, and I used to love DH16's (pre-injury).

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Nice.

For trailbike/DH duty, mono minis are plenty o' brake as long as you run them with organic pads. I guess it's too late now, though.

What's the range of geometries you can get? Looks a bit steep like you have it now.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I'd rather have the better modulation of a varied piston size 4 pot brake than a larger, less-modulating 2 pot. Plus, these M4's came off my Free, and I wasn't going to get Mini's for any reason. They weigh hardly anything less (most of the weight difference can be attributed to the rotors). Plus, the M4's look way cooler.
As for geometry, I can make it steeper, but not slacker. If I move the shock forward in this travel position, the rear tire hits the seattube. I could lower the travel and make it more slack (down to 5.5", 5" or 4.5"), but I'd rather have more travel and steeper geo, I think (so far at least). The bike feels steeper than my old bike, but I like it the way it is. I still have to work on the handlebar positioning, but I'm optimistic. It corners way better than my old big bike. I could put a larger fork on it, but I'm quite content with it the way it is because the 6.5" and 7" SC forks out there weigh considerably more (that Nixon weighs 4.6lbs). Yeah, I could go air, but that'd be an expensive venture that I might not even like the feel of.
And chober, yeah, it's been passed around a little, but it's staying with me. I really like it, and can't imagine any reason for selling it. I can even toss a longer shock on it and give it more travel if I want. It's so versatile, I can't imagine it not fulfilling all my needs escept if I get back into DH, which just isn't going to happen...

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Sweet bike ya cripple! haha
What are you doing riding around already? Don't break your arm a third time. What happened to the Z1 light? You must have gotten a great deal on that Nixon as I remember a certain conversation about how Marzocchi has the feel that is well worth the weight. That whole build looks crazy light for having some decent front/rear travel. I'd guess... 34lbs. Do you have UST rims or just a stans conversion?

I'm glad to see we are both progressing back to our roots of hardcore enduro trail riding. It's just way too much fun. I'm loving my light ASX build and ignoring anything FR/DH for quite some time. The speed and cardio workout is the best part. Wish we could ride together. Tiger Mt. cross your mind?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Good memory! Yeah, that's my buddy Luke. We almost ended up with eachother's bikes too, but I acted quicker on the Nicolai, and let him know about the Enduro being my second runner up (not that it's any less of a bike!).
As for the stem, Judd, it's staying. I like having my bar up higher. I can't get a higher riser bar because I lose handle real estate, and that makes the positioning of my lever tedious. I might lower it a bit sometime, but I like it where it is right now. I'm just fiddling with where sweep and rotation.
As for riding, well, my PT said I could, as long as I don't crash. So I'm not wearing my pads, just so I'm not tempted to go hard (not to mention that they're missing...). Plus, my wrist gets tired anyway, even with the wrist-bracing gloves. But the fork is money. On that note, I could not find a Z1 Light for less than $500, and I got that '06 Nixon Elite for $250 new. It has really impressed me with the quality of travel and the small bump compliance. It has the same damping as my Dorado, after all.
Dude, Tiger Mountain was good times. Next time you're in the neighborhood, bring your bike :)

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Yeah, $250 new isn't something to ignore. Hey did you get my email? I'll be in Portland in 12 days for a long weekend but no bike. Email me back. I need friends. boohoo wah wah

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
sniff sniff...sniff sniff :(

Wow, she really was a great bike! Lookin real good buddy.

BTW...I got a small package from Nicolai the other day with a note in it. "ooops sorry for the delay on your parts, here ya go!"

They will be on their way bro!

booner

Nice lookin ride!
Damn Nicolai bikes are hot

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Jason,
Good to hear, not really sure what to expect as far as a substantial change, but hey, free bling! I'll be sending some flow your way too. Got a question though, did the bike feel okay to you? I am having difficulty setting up the DHX Air to be:
Sensitive over small bumps
Soak up roots while pedaling uphill, sitting on the saddle AND
Not bottom out
Currently have 180psi in main chamber, 135psi in Boost, Bottom out cranked all the way down and the PP all the way out (though when going downhill I like a little PP, like you said!).
Also, it feels a titch steep. I measured HT angle at 68.5, and would like to lower that a little. The tire rubs just barely when I bottom the shock right now, so I can't slack it out anymore. I am thinking of either reducing the rear travel or getting a smaller rear tire. What was your experience?
I rotated the bars a bit forward since the picture, and the sweep angle feels better for my hands/injured wrists, but it also makes the cockpit larger, and my weight more forward, probably adding to the steep feeling. Now accepting all ideas.
I'm going to go see if my new Air settings work.
Peace.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
hehehe, yeah, the new parts will not change anything substantial. I just like to stand by my word :)
Ok, for the dhx air:
sensitive over small bumps-run 180-190 in the main chamber
soak up roots up hill and not bottom- twist in the bottom out all the way, pump 155 into bottom out chamber (boost) and run pp in the middle.
The thing will pedal really well with 210 in the main and 135 boost and bottom out knob twisted to the second line, however you lose sensitivity...Air shocks are not coil shocks :(
For full compliance on up and down...nothing is gonna beat a coil shock that I have found. The dhx air is pretty good but...
That said, the 07 dhx air received some new internals so we shall see (I just ordered one today!)
As for the HA...ummm maybe a slightly longer fork? I bet the new lyric would be the best thing for that rig. Maybe try to put the travel in the 5.5 setting to stop the tire rubbing. This in no way affects the overal feel of the bike and I never missed the .5 inches of travel.
Another thing would be to get a thin spacer for between the fork crown race and the headset. I am not sure how these things get set up but you can find them at the LBS and they affectively slacken the bike out a little bit for you.

Hope that helps!!!

PM me your address again so I can send you the goods :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I think I'm going to start with adjusting the DHX Air so it doesn't bottom, and move the shock shuttle forward a notch. If that fails practically, then it's onto a smaller (shorter) rear tire to avoid rubbing. If that doesn't work, it's onto less rear travel (cringe).

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I think I dialed it finally! I took it down to 5.5" (sadly), and moved the shuttle a notch forward. The geo measures at 67.9* now, and the bike feels much more balanced. I don't have that urge to go flying over the bars anymore. It really rolls better over the bumps as well. Still working on the DHX, but it feels actually pretty good at where I have it.
The bike how has that "cradle" feeling when you throw it into berms - much more stable, and still very nimble. I found myself riding faster and turning better today, by a large margin.
I missed biking...

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Glad to hear it is working out for you!
I also tried the 5.5 setting s couple of times...it worked really well there. I know it is a loss of .5" but you will probably never even notice it...or maybe you will :)
One thing is for sure, that bike never let me get lazy!

Cheers...
Now lets have some action shots!!

Booner

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Nice looking ride Erik. I guess now that Whistler season is over I should get off my butt and ride Galby with you. I'll PM you my schedule and maybe we can hook something up.