Quantcast

2005 parts, is it a bad idea over 2006

i was thinking about getting a new cassete, and a new chain, so i was looking at this
is there a problem with getting 2005 parts, or will the chain be dry or other cool stuff like that,would it be a better idea to cough up the cash and get 06, i dont care what year it is, just dont want it to be old and rotting:nope:
also what the hell is it, 2005 or 2006, at the top its 2005 and at the bottom its 2006 hmmmmm????

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
youll be fine man. most geared parts are packed in some lube of some sort to prevent rusting and stuff.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
don t listen to these people... parts aren t compatible or functional after 1 year... your 2006 parts automatically fail on the 1st of jan 2007...

Apr 25, 2004
NOVA
partsbara said:
don t listen to these people... parts aren t compatible or functional after 1 year... your 2006 parts automatically fail on the 1st of jan 2007...
Yeah, and if you try to run a SRAM chain with Shimano components your derailleurs will explode.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
It'll be fine, but thats not a bad deal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that their most expensive chain and one of their top end cassettes.

EDIT: Didnt know about their service though... like said above Jeson will pricematch and their service is aresome... also try Greenfishsports.com... They gave me a smokin deal on my fork and had it shipped the same day and I had ordered it at 4:00 my time which means they got it out of the stockroom and onto the ups truck in just a few minutes (something most places dont do).

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Have you ever bought a new chain before? If you have, you'd know that they come packed in what feels like a light coating of naval jelly and they'll be fine in the package for years.
Also, unless they've changed the design very recently the SRAM cassettes are boat anchors compared to XT and XTR cassettes. Not worth buying imo.