Quantcast

2006 One Speed World Champs

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Last I heard the folks at Surly were accepting proposals. No word on who they went with, but they were suggesting that oveseas would be better than stateside again.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
At the last one I saw 3 distinct groups: those who came to race, those who came for a great ride, and those that came to party.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
from the Surly Blog

SSWC2006

For those of you paying attention to where Single Speed World Championships is going to be held next year, here is some information. It was decided at SSWC2005 that the last person still riding in the derby was allowed to choose where it would be the following year. Skip Bernet and myself were the last riding in 2 of 3 rounds, so we got to choose. Although this was an honor and it seemed like a smashing idea at first, it turned out to be a tough position to be in. For any future SSWC event planners, I wouldn’t recommend having this rule this again. What I would recommend is that more of you sacrifice body and bike at SSWC2006 to make the worlds largest bike derby. Now that will be smashing.

We asked for proposals from everybody and anybody around the world that was serious about hosting SSWC2006 and had the trails, manpower and creativity to make it happen. For the record, we got 16 such proposals. Most of them were serious, a couple of them worthless, and 6 of them were good enough to make this a very difficult decision. The research most of these people did to find out if their town was ready for this was incredible and I commend all of them for stepping up and committing themselves.

This decision was made with all of you in mind and it was not taken lightly. We asked the 6 best potential hosts some stupid open ended questions like, “what would Jacquie Phelan do?” and “when drinking beer from a glass cowboy boot, toe up or toe down?” just to get an idea of who these people were. We also asked more serious questions like “how car-free can this event be?” and to “describe your ideal mountain bike course”.

I won’t divulge all their answers to these questions, but I want you all to know when drinking beer from a glass cowboy boot, you need to drink with the toe down. Otherwise you get an air bubble caught in bottom of the glass and it’ll splash beer in your face when you tilt the glass upright. All but one of you got this wrong, I’m ashamed. What does this have to do with SSWC? Who cares, I’m asking the questions and was just curious.

What happened to New Zealand? The folks from New Zealand basically told me they weren’t organized for the event and to be careful with our decision. It’s really a shame, because we all wanted to go there.

But is it really a shame when you have single speeders in Stockholm, Sweden? Singlespeeders that boast excellent trails, sound fairly organized (like it or not), understand we all just want to show up and ride, and have the manpower to make this thing rock? How cool would that be?

These folks have been behind Sweden SS champs in 2003 and 2004. They’ve “masterminded” an event called Tour de Retard, which was a 100km fixed/SS stage race to celebrate the old Tour de France days. They’re also involved in the local freeride scene and ran an e-zine for about 4 years. They’re well connected within the local bike industry, the local urban life and have trails within riding distance from most of the hotels/hostels/campsites in town.
These folks understand the importance of beer, heckling and donuts along the course. They also understand the importance of this being a truly international event, making fair registration for equal representation from all countries. They left us with no doubt that this will rock.

Stockholm is the capital of Sweden and it’s a very bike friendly city. There are bike lanes established throughout the city and it’s easy to get around. We’ve been assured that if you’re a singletrack hound, you will not be disappointed with the local dirt trails.

So that’s it, some fine folks from Stockholm, Sweden are hosting SSWC2006 and you can start planning for it now. Since this is their event to host, it is completely up to them to decide dates, the course, beer sponsors, “other” events, website, registration, beer sponsors, where to stay, how the champions will be decided, beer sponsors, etc. Once we know more about their plans, we’ll post them here. Holy **** is this going to be fun.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Are we talking about the same race? SSWC?
1999: Marla Streb/Travis Brown
2000: Stella Carey/Jay Henderson
2001: Alison Rushton /Jeff Wherlock
2002: Stella Carey/Travis Brown
2003: Linda Eckhart/Clinton Jackson
2004: Linda Eckhart/Florian Eschenbach
2005: bike race: Abby Hippley/Jesse LeLonde, champions: Marla Streb/Brian Keith

cirKus

Monkey
Oops my bad, but check this out

This win marks another major win for an athlete on a Gary Fisher Rig. Previously in the year another regional athlete Dejay Birch won the Solo 24 Hour National Championship in the singlespeed category. Dejay was also at the SSWC, but had an unfortunate bike mix-up at the start that took him out of the running for the race.

From: http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=riders/2005/interviews/dejay_birtch05

Mistook nationals for worlds, but he's coming to take worlds soon

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Pete/Kyle: did you realize that the woman we talked to at the Maverick van the day before the race is the woman who won the bike part of the race?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
BikeGeek said:
Pete/Kyle: did you realize that the woman we talked to at the Maverick van the day before the race is the woman who won the bike part of the race?

Yeah, I thought we talked about that. She was cool.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
peter6061 said:
Yeah, I thought we talked about that. She was cool.
Did we? If it was on the ride home I don't remember most of that trip. Something about exhaustion and alcohol doesn't mix well. :)

Are you considering Sweden?

Nov 4, 2003
Yeah I knew it was her when we were at Tony's Big SlEazy. Sweden would be a well deserved vacation (from State College, not saying the terrain would be easy to ride), but I can't even afford the plane ticket...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Agentorangemen said:
Yeah I knew it was her when we were at Tony's Big SlEazy. Sweden would be a well deserved vacation (from State College, not saying the terrain would be easy to ride), but I can't even afford the plane ticket...
I'm still waiting on a date, and my wife has already given approval depending on that.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
Yeah I knew it was her when we were at Tony's Big SlEazy.
Damn. Where was I? :)

Sweden would be a well deserved vacation (from State College, not saying the terrain would be easy to ride), but I can't even afford the plane ticket...
It's out of the question for me. Any word on ECNASSCU for this year?

Nov 4, 2003
not yet, but i've saved up enough for a Phil Wood BB so I'll going to be going to Mt. Nittany Wheelworks within the next week and I'll get the low down

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
not yet, but i've saved up enough for a Phil Wood BB...
:drool: I was thinking Phil Wood BB and Eno crank for my new ride :drool:

I may have to sell my son or pimp my wife to get it though...