Quantcast

2006 UCI Masters Worlds (mega thread!)

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone have any information on the 2006 Masters Worlds? Dates? Website?

I believe it's going to be in Kamloops again but can't find any info.

Thanks for your help!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
http://www.mondialduvelo.com/Anglais/index.htm

nothing up yet. I am sure if you call or email them that they will give you the scoup.

From what I heard, 2006 is the last year that it will be at Sun Peaks (Kamloops). Then it will be in europe (rumor).

Sun Peaks was fun. Advice is to practice Saturday, race Sunday and then freeride. We rode Friday this year and couldn't hardly race on Sunday. The course is rough and fast.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yes its back for two year at kamoops.
that is what the race promoter told me.

i'll be there back for my gold hunt

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I read in another forum that the 2005 event was run kind of poorly......can anyone else verify this....?.....

SunPeaks is an awesome hill though......would love to spend a week there....

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
We are getting things set to go. I think there are 5-6 of us from utah going. All sorts of hoops to jump through, but not too hard. You need to upgrade your NORBA license to international. You can do it online. You have to send them a copy of your birth certificate or passport to prove citizenship and age before they will issue it. You also need to send a signed release that you can download off usacycling.org when you apply. The other thing you need is a "permission letter" to compete abroad from usa cycling, you can request that online as well. You do all that from your "member login" area. I've heard that you should make sure to bring a copy of your birth certificate to the race as well. It sounds like a bunch of stuff, but it only took a bit on the website.

There is a lot of info on the uci website including registration and a video of the course.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
EVRAC said:
I'll be there too.
I'll look for the BCD and say hi Alex.
I'm gunning for mid-pack 30+sport.

I'm too slow, unfit and scared to actually be competitive, but it sure is good fun, eh?
There is no sport class. It's just open/pro class. Experts can race it if your over 30. However, if you race sport class you will be competing against former world cup pro riders.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
CK is mostly right.

The categories are only split by age, not skill. And if you are not a pro, (but are over 30), you can only race if you are a citizen of the host nation. (That's how it was for 2001-2003 anyway)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
MMike said:
CK is mostly right.

The categories are only split by age, not skill. And if you are not a pro, (but are over 30), you can only race if you are a citizen of the host nation. (That's how it was for 2001-2003 anyway)

Correct, it is broken down in age categories.

I have raced the Master's in 2003,2004 and 2005 and they definately were letting in all experts from the US.

The other restriction is no world cups in the last year. The UCI nazi also wasn't letting in anyone with a Pro license 2 years ago until someone called Norba and they called the UCI to get it fixxed.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
So for example - you can't race Masters W Champs 2007 if you raced any World cup in the same year (2007) or is it if you raced in the previous year (2006)?
Any links to the rules?

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
So, I just had the talk with the woman and we are definetly going now. It looks like we will be driving up and staying for wednesday through Sat and leaving early Sunday morn. No kids, just us road trippin'. It's going to be so great I can hardly wait.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
numerik said:
So for example - you can't race Masters W Champs 2007 if you raced any World cup in the same year (2007) or is it if you raced in the previous year (2006)?
Any links to the rules?
I am not sure. I think it is in the same calendar year. You better check with the UCI.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Heath Sherratt said:
So, I just had the talk with the woman and we are definetly going now. It looks like we will be driving up and staying for wednesday through Sat and leaving early Sunday morn. No kids, just us road trippin'. It's going to be so great I can hardly wait.
Read my report above. If you ride Thursday, Friday, Saturday and race on Sunday, your race run will probably suffer. It is a big boy mountain with tons of high speed and big braking bumps (over 1' tall).

If you just want to go for the experience, you will have a great time. If you want to go to win, you will not be able to freeride that much.

That said, it's an awesome mountain and the resort is top notch. I recommend the fillet steak from the only steak house. We stayed at a hotel right at the base for $100ish/night canadian that was very nice.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
we stayed at a motel across the road for $75.
super nice and new.

the track is rough and last year i did not ride sat to
save for sun. but i do that most of the time anyway.

Any links to the rules?
only the same year. you can have UCI points, b/c you might get some if you do good in a NMBS. just not any world cup points of
regs.

alex
alex

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bcd said:
we stayed at a motel across the road for $75.
super nice and new.

the track is rough and last year i did not ride sat to
save for sun. but i do that most of the time anyway.

only the same year. you can have UCI points, b/c you might get some if you do good in a NMBS. just not any world cup points of
regs.

alex
alex
They let you register because they thought there was no way any fast DH racer would be in a skin suit and a helmet with no visor. :agree: :devil:

I didn't realise that you sat out on Saturday. I rode all day and it killed me. I couldn't hang on to the bars on Sunday. My team mate skipped his Canada cup race since he was so beat up from 3 days of riding plus the Master's race.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
CK-thanks. It looks like they changed the schedule up a bit from last year. Wednesday is reg only, Thursday you get to walk the course, Fri you get practice for three hours and Sat you practice-timed runs and then qualify and then finals. I will stick to that schedule and it normally treats me right. I don't like practicing too much. Thanks for the heads up though. Are there lots of options for resorts/hotels? Are they all about the same? Is there a bike shop nearby? What brands do they carry, yadda-yadda. I just want to know what i need to bring for emergency technical stuff. I have a Cannondale Judge. With Fox suspension.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ChrisKring said:
They let you register because they thought there was no way any fast DH racer would be in a skin suit and a helmet with no visor. :agree: :devil:

I didn't realise that you sat out on Saturday. I rode all day and it killed me. I couldn't hang on to the bars on Sunday. My team mate skipped his Canada cup race since he was so beat up from 3 days of riding plus the Master's race.
that was jason sigfried.

but i am bringing mine this year. its long enought and fast enought to count.

i have started road/pump track training to peak next month.

how about you? any cross training for you?

alex

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Heath Sherratt said:
I just want to know what i need to bring for emergency technical stuff. I have a Cannondale Judge. With Fox suspension.
Hey Heath. Good to know you'll be there! May be we can have a rematch of Brian Head last year :) Sounds like it's gonna be a fun one!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bcd said:
that was jason sigfried.

alex
Opie always did like the skin suits. Is he racing this season? I haven't seen his man anywhere

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Mani_UT said:
Hey Heath. Good to know you'll be there! May be we can have a rematch of Brian Head last year :) Sounds like it's gonna be a fun one!
Mani?! Sick! I didn't know that was you, you are the fast frenchman correct? I am very excited to be going this year. I don't think i can win but I want to try you know? The experience will be great for sure. How are you? Congrats on winning the series last year.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Heath Sherratt said:
I didn't know that was you, you are the fast frenchman correct?
No you're thinking about Cedric.
I am the slow one ;)
My goal is to go there and beat as many Frenchies as possible. Obviously I am not in contention for a podium. The place just looks like it's gonna be fun!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bcd said:
that was jason sigfried.

alex
I don't think I am going to make it this year. I have made it the past 3 years and I really should go this year since I doubt I'll go to europe to race. Work is killing me right now and I have only had 3 days off this year out of my 3 weeks. Hopefully, I'll have things let up enough to go.

I have been moto training. The problem with that was evident last weekend at snowshoe that I don't push as hard when I am not going bar to bar. I finally turned it up on my race run when I had the guy in front of me in sight (1 minute intervals). I could have went and rode up the mountain on my DH bike after the race so I definatly didn't go hard.

Alex: didn't you have on some green helmet and a USA flag jersey?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yes, that was me in the green lid.

i am looking at 800 ticket to kamloops
to 1700 mile drive in the tdi golf.

both suck.

last year my brother was in OR and he drove me.
that i was able to do. heck i could get a ticket to France
for 800 dollars. i am thinking of saving for next year.
it would be much more of a event for me.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Heath Sherratt said:

i would not get it that way there,.................:wave: bye bye

so i am still looking for a ride. i need to buy my tickets to a
town southwest air flys to. then can carpool from there.

i'll pay half gas and lodging. or tent frees.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
bcd said:
If you can make it to Whislter I can give you a ride from there!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
bcd said:
i would not get it that way there,.................:wave: bye bye

Can you get to washington? I am sure we could work something out. H

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
it sounded like a couples weekend out.
i don't want to be in the way.

do you have room with a couch, are you tenting?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Heath Sherratt said:
No, I mean we could give you a ride. It's our anniversary too so, yeah, fifth wheel and all. ;) But we would love to help you out with a ride or whatever we can do to help.
where are you again? are driving home sunday? what day are you going up?

alex

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Just so you all know, its an entirely different course this year. The old does not exist anymore as its now a ski run. The course is not new, but actually the one from the Canadian nationals in '01. For those of you who have ridden there, its "Insanity One", complete with a couple of sick steep sections. Its not that scary to ride, but scary to race on. For technicality, it makes last year's course look like a sidewalk.

I've been practicing on it a little, but I may not race it. We'll see if money falls outta my arse.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
wow, that cnanges the excitment leval for me!

right on, any video or pics of it?