Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I'm waiting for an RC4 frame as I'm sure are others. Who's buying the DHX frames ???

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Price?

I agree with the bloke^, as to what the hell is a 46.5" wheelbase on an xl dh bike. A medium demo is that long and it has 420 stay's. ST length is also way too short. I'll need a bloody long post out of that puppy.

Looks the goods though. What's the warranty on these puppy's?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aside from yesterday's race, who sits down on a real downhill run? I say keep seat-tubes short and out of the way, it's ugly and unnecessary to make them longer, and it's about time DH bike manufacturers picked up on that.

Also - the demo lineup is sized larger than most bikes on the market for a given size, so it's not a fair bike to judge others on. IMO 46.5 is adequately long for a large size frame (that's how long most large DH bikes are), and what Evil has done is offered more granularity within an existing spectrum. I do think that the XL and L could be a little longer, but whatever, they are doing much better than companies like Morewood and Commencal who only offer two sizes.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Aside from yesterday's race, who sits down on a real downhill run? I say keep seat-tubes short and out of the way, it's ugly and unnecessary to make them longer, and it's about time DH bike manufacturers picked up on that.

Also - the demo lineup is sized larger than most bikes on the market for a given size, so it's not a fair bike to judge others on. IMO 46.5 is adequately long for a large size frame (that's how long most large DH bikes are), and what Evil has done is offered more granularity within an existing spectrum. I do think that the XL and L could be a little longer, but whatever, they are doing much better than companies like Morewood and Commencal who only offer two sizes.
Misunderstood you there. When the going gets gnarly and fast I like a lot of bike out in front of me.

About the seat tube thing. I like my seat reasonably high for support against my leg. It also stops me leaning back too far in corners.

Last edited:

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Misunderstood you there. When the going gets gnarly and fast I like a lot of bike out in front of me.

About the seat tube thing. I like my seat reasonably high for support against my leg. It also stops me leaning back too far in corners.
I'm 6'4" and have steered away from L/XL frames because of unrealistic/ugly seat tube designs. All I want from a Large DH frame is top tube length..

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'm 6'4" and have steered away from L/XL frames because of unrealistic/ugly seat tube designs. All I want from a Large DH frame is top tube length..
A large sunday is 19". With the seat slammed, that offers plenty of room. I would run the seat a good 3-4" above that, so even if you like more room, with the seat slammed and being 6'4", that's got to be plenty.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
A large sunday is 19". With the seat slammed, that offers plenty of room. I would run the seat a good 3-4" above that, so even if you like more room, with the seat slammed and being 6'4", that's got to be plenty.
A large Sunday also had a 622mm effective top tube, so the XL Evil is 8mm longer and has 6.35mm longer wheelbase. Doesn't seem that out of place to me...

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
A large Sunday also had a 622mm effective top tube, so the XL Evil is 8mm longer and has 6.35mm longer wheelbase. Doesn't seem that out of place to me...
Sunday has a steeper HA, so the front center distance is about the same or a bit more.

It's an XL frame though and Todd said it would be for 6'3"+ blokes, which it just isn't. See a large Demo or Rotec for a bike designed for 6'3"+ people.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
XL frames should be more than just longer top tubes. They need MANY things, most importantly
1. Thicker tubing
2. Longer CS
3. Longer TT
4. Longer ST
And call me crazy....but 5. Lower BB

And trust me, 46.5 WB is nowhere near long enough. My current bike is ~49.5ish and it couldn't hurt to be 1/2 to 1in longer

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
XL frames should be more than just longer top tubes. They need MANY things, most importantly
1. Thicker tubing
2. Longer CS
3. Longer TT
4. Longer ST
And call me crazy....but 5. Lower BB

And trust me, 46.5 WB is nowhere near long enough. My current bike is ~49.5ish and it couldn't hurt to be 1/2 to 1in longer
Dang, is your name Shaquille? :shocked:

Why would you want longer chainstays? I wouldn't want any CS lengths past 17.5 on a true DH frame...

I was told $3050 for powdercoat, $3150 for anodized.

Kyle,
Wow. I was told $2850... I want my boss to become a dealer, but he's having a hard time digesting this price when people in our area can barely afford a Blindside...:plthumbsdown:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dang, is your name Shaquille? :shocked:

Why would you want longer chainstays? I wouldn't want any CS lengths past 17.5 on a true DH frame...
Almost, 6'7", 215 :P

What are you doing on a 49' wheelbase, shuttling kids back and forth to the prom? How the hell do you make any corners?
XL VP-free (with some small changes). As for making turns, you just gotta muscle your way through it. Maybe a lifting mad tite drifting from time to time. That's part of the reason us big guys need lower BB's, well, that and our higher center of mass.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Price really is quite reasonable(relatively) nowadays.

Most high end frames tipped the 3g mark this year (including shock). M6 = 3150 w/ shock. Commencal is 3g with shock. Izumi comes out to like 27 with shock, a Makulu is like 38 with shock, V10 is 3200 with shock. Canfield is 3ish, Trek is 3ish. Cove is near 3500.

These toys are ridiculously expensive, and there's no reason why Evil needs to be giving their frames away.