Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Stranga

Chimp
Aug 31, 2009
Here is a pic of my small Revolt, I am on the UK and love it, no cracks, no bucking, set the shock to the settings on the silverfish pdf and the more I ride it the more I like it.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Thanks for answering! Did you put the adapters too??

Yep, with the adaptors and also with the thrust bearing. I don't think I'd bother with the bearing again though. I'm not convinced that it actually moves and it seems like the coefficient of friction of the adapter is pretty low.

steveDH

Chimp
Oct 1, 2009
can anyone measure the real lengths of the small revolt? (effective tt, wheelbase, seattube, chainstay,....)

thanks!!

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Just saw this on Distilled (I assume regarding their rather negative comments on Evil/Steve):

Our Schladming race report is back up for you to enjoy, and we apologize for the delay. Just to clear things up a little, we removed a few sentences to keep the peace with some people in the industry who were very upset at what we printed. We did not remove it because it was untrue, as we rigorously check our facts here at Distilled, but the comment was affecting someone’s business and that’s not what Distilled is about. Taking down something that you know to be true doesn’t really sit well with me but we try to keep a positive vibe to the mag, and we’re not into embarrassing anyone. However, in this and in every former and subsequent Distilled article, you the reader can be assured that we report the facts and that you can believe everything you read here; just the facts, no gossip, speculation or rumor-mongering. Ok, that’s as about as deep and meaningful as I hope to get in the foreseeable future; I’m writing about grown men on pushbikes for goodness’ sake, it’s not exactly Watergate. Enjoy Distilled Digital!

http://distilledmag.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/journalistic-integrity/

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Just saw this on Distilled (I assume regarding their rather negative comments on Evil/Steve):

Our Schladming race report is back up for you to enjoy, and we apologize for the delay. Just to clear things up a little, we removed a few sentences to keep the peace with some people in the industry who were very upset at what we printed. We did not remove it because it was untrue, as we rigorously check our facts here at Distilled, but the comment was affecting someone’s business and that’s not what Distilled is about. Taking down something that you know to be true doesn’t really sit well with me but we try to keep a positive vibe to the mag, and we’re not into embarrassing anyone. However, in this and in every former and subsequent Distilled article, you the reader can be assured that we report the facts and that you can believe everything you read here; just the facts, no gossip, speculation or rumor-mongering. Ok, that’s as about as deep and meaningful as I hope to get in the foreseeable future; I’m writing about grown men on pushbikes for goodness’ sake, it’s not exactly Watergate. Enjoy Distilled Digital!

Them saying that is actually better and funnier than the original report.

You have to ask yourselves where all the bucking smoke is coming from though eh...

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

I think they just made it worse... good job distilled..

EDIT: A simple, "Our Schladming race report is back up for you to enjoy, and we apologize for the delay. Just to clear things up a little, we removed a few sentences to keep the peace with some people in the industry who were very upset at what we printed." would have been better than basically saying, they meant what they printed, were absolutely 100% truthful and stand behind what they said, but they took it down b/c of some crybabies. Save it for bike reviews, no place for that in race-reports.. even if it's true..

Last edited:

superpi

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
Hi everybody,
I come from France and I got few questions about that Evil.
- I'm just 6.0 and I used to ride a medium Iron Horse Sunday. What's size should I choose. I 've heard that the TT seems to be "normal" on the medium and "short" on the large.
- is it possible to change geo and leverage ratio (progressivity) in the same time by changing the way of flipchips: for example front and rear flipchip in the same position (low or high) ? If it's possible, what are the effects on the suspension : LSC, mid stroke, progressivity,geo. etc...hope I'm clear.
- and for all the riders who know well the Sunday and ride the revolt now : could you tell me please if this bike is much "plush" and if it's stay more stable on brakes (in break bumps or in roots for exemple). differences in fact

Thank you

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Distilled's report contained no truth besides the race results and times. Without a complete engineering report and thorough review the "bucking" phenom regarding the revolts is as much a valid point as trying to say ghost's exist or the bible is true. They did nothing more to fact check than probably read the forums where someone said "my bike bucked me!"

I know I can speak for myself and anyone whose ridden a revolt that getting bucked by it is no more a reality of a defect in manufacturing than stepping on it and winning a world cup without ever racing is a reality to joe rider.

simply put, **** those dudes, they have about as much journalistic merit and suspension design and engineering factual knowledge as Paris Hilton has virginal qualities.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Someone was saying it's (the bucking) down to the leverage rate doubling through the travel ?

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Hi everybody,
- I'm just 6.0 and I used to ride a medium Iron Horse Sunday. What's size should I choose. I 've heard that the TT seems to be "normal" on the medium and "short" on the large.
- is it possible to change geo and leverage ratio (progressivity) in the same time by changing the way of flipchips: for example front and rear flipchip in the same position (low or high) ? If it's possible, what are the effects on the suspension : LSC, mid stroke, progressivity,geo. etc...hope I'm clear.
- and for all the riders who know well the Sunday and ride the revolt now : could you tell me please if this bike is much "plush" and if it's stay more stable on brakes (in break bumps or in roots for exemple). differences in fact

Thank you
I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can from the way it's been explained to me. A medium Revolt is pretty darn close to the same size as a medium Sunday. A large Revolt is smaller than a large Sunday and an XL Revolt is a little bigger than a large Sunday. Evil tried to reduce the difference between sizes and run 4 sizes (S,M,L, and XL) to better match each rider to the right size. I think you'd probably fit better on a large than a medium but I'd shoot an email to info@evil-bikes.com.

The hype on the DELTA suspension system is that you can change the bottom bracket height with the flip chips without changing the leverage curve. There isn't supposed to be any affect on anything but the bottom bracket height and related head angle change.

I have not owned a Sunday but have ridden a few laps on one and my initial impression is that the feel is similar between the two but the Revolt sits higher in its travel, has a more progressive leverage curve, and pedals much better. It brakes better in the bumps than a single pivot should but I'd want to ride a Sunday again to say which is better. I changed from an Ironhorse 7point to the Revolt and went from mid pack to top 1/3 at one of the local races on the same track and with the same riders (a change of about 5 places).

Someone was saying it's (the bucking) down to the leverage rate doubling through the travel ?
The leverage curve does not double through the travel, that would be very
drastic. Oh, and I've only got a handful of days on mine, maybe 20 at Whistler, a race weekend at PA, a handful of shuttle days at home, and a few days of pedaling uphill and the only time bucking has concerned me is when I'm on the computer. There is a tendency for the bushings to break in during the first full day of riding and as they break in the suspension moves easier and faster. I found that I turned my rebound knob in one click half way through the day and one more click towards the end of the day and haven't touched it since and haven't gone over the bars yet.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Funny how i still haven't heard on any forum or in person anyone who ACTUALY owns a Revolt say "it bucked me".
Its always "i heard it from a friend who knows someone who was at a race once an saw someone go over the bars"... If its so prevalent should there be Revolt owners every where complaining????
Is it a coincidence that alot of the "bucking" stirrers are also stirring about the head angle of a certain other bike they don't own either????:think:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Funny how i still haven't heard on any forum or in person anyone who ACTUALY owns a Revolt say "it bucked me".
you should check again. i said that it does buck me, but only if the rebound isnt setup properly.....which it wasnt when i bought the bike back in May.
it took some dialing in and a few clicks on the rebound knob makes a big difference

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
you should check again. i said that it does buck me, but only if the rebound isnt setup properly.....which it wasnt when i bought the bike back in May.
it took some dialing in and a few clicks on the rebound knob makes a big difference
I did actually remember your post but it really dosnt count as you admit it was a setup problem...any bike will buck with the wrong settings...... im just saying if it was a real problem there would be people complaining an backing up these storys.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Hi everybody,

I'm 5' 10" and ride a medium. I think it will depend on your preference. The medium fits me pretty good even though the cockpit feels shorter than my Sunday's. I would suggest finding both a medium and a large to compare.

The geometry is supposed to be adjustable without effecting the way the suspenion reacts. I run one flip chip slack, one steep and the HT slack. I tried going all slack but I was smacking pedals too often.

I find the Revolt is better in the rough stuff than my Sunday when you get off the brakes and just let it go. On the brakes in the rough I find the Revolts back end doesn't dance as much as my Sunday did.

I just rode two more days in Whistler last weekend; no mysterious bucking issues for me. This bike likes to get ragged, I think it rides better on the edge of control than when you're being cautious. If you ride with good form and setup the suspension properly this bike is mint.

Most of my riding friends have commented on how much faster I have been this year on the Revolt. Not sure if its true or not as I don't race.

Thank you

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The geometry is supposed to be adjustable without effecting the way the suspenion reacts. I run one flip chip slack, one steep and the HT slack. I tried going all slack but I was smacking pedals too often.
which one are you running slack? the front or the rear?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Front. It seemed the easiest to change.
you know you're supposed to change both of them together, right? If you are going to give people set-up advice that is completely counter (lazy?) to what was designed at least say so.

by flipping both chips the leverage ratio stays the same. flipping one and not the other you alter the geometry and the suspension; the exact scenario the revolt was designed to avoid.

Last edited:

superpi

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
you know you're supposed to change both of them together, right? If you are going to give people set-up advice that is completely counter (lazy?) to what was designed at least say so.

by flipping both chips the leverage ratio stays the same. flipping one and not the other you alter the geometry and the suspension; the exact scenario the revolt was designed to avoid.
That's exactly what I want to Know : the effect of flipping just one on the leverage ratio.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Lee: Kevin helped me build my bike and I got the impression from him that you could flip just one end (either end) and it would be just fine. I don't think it's enough of a change to change the leverage curve a noticable amount but it will change the bottom bracket height just a bit.

I was able to easily get my rear flip chip out using a round punch and ball peen hammer and some tender persuasion.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was able to easily get my rear flip chip out using a round punch and ball peen hammer and some tender persuasion.
do you have a white or anno bike? i tried this method on my anno frame and its in there good.

same with the swingarm. that bitch aint coming off

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
same with the swingarm. that bitch aint coming off

i have to ask the obvious/stupid question here

did you remove both sides of the swing arm bolts? if you just unscrew the bolt, the leave the female (outer swingarm part) in you will never get it off.

the swingarm is slightly press fit and sits right on the bearings... if it moves with no friction (with shock removed) i cant think of what it could possibly be stuck on.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Lee: Kevin helped me build my bike and I got the impression from him that you could flip just one end (either end) and it would be just fine. I don't think it's enough of a change to change the leverage curve a noticable amount but it will change the bottom bracket height just a bit.

I think i misunderstood the original post. read it too quickly and thought he was implying that flipping just one chip was the way the adjustment was designed to work. never tried it but i doubt it makes much difference w/ the suspension, at least not in a noticeable way (DW would have to answer that one). so i can't see any reason to flip just one unless you're looking for a bb height somewhere in between the 2 standard settings.

superpi

Chimp
Oct 14, 2009
Hi everybody,

I'm 5' 10" and ride a medium. I think it will depend on your preference. The medium fits me pretty good even though the cockpit feels shorter than my Sunday's. I would suggest finding both a medium and a large to compare.

I find the Revolt is better in the rough stuff than my Sunday when you get off the brakes and just let it go. On the brakes in the rough I find the Revolts back end doesn't dance as much as my Sunday did.

I just rode two more days in Whistler last weekend; no mysterious bucking issues for me. This bike likes to get ragged, I think it rides better on the edge of control than when you're being cautious. If you ride with good form and setup the suspension properly this bike is mint.

Most of my riding friends have commented on how much faster I have been this year on the Revolt. Not sure if its true or not as I don't race.

Thank you

Ok thank's...Anyway I'll check all this by myself cause it's done: I ordered a "non bucking" large one in black ano to replace this :
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2960627/

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia

Actually I didn't know that. No where have I ever read that or been told that. The geo chart states a min and a max. I assumed that I could flip one to be in the middle for HA and BB height.

Flipping only the front was not out of pure laziness. I didn't like the 13.78" BB but didn't want to go to the 14.25" height.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
You must have missed Lee's post after I said the same thing. He thought you wanted to flip just one chip out offiur instead of one of the two pairs.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
You must have missed Lee's post after I said the same thing. He thought you wanted to flip just one chip out offiur instead of one of the two pairs.
As in just one side? I do dumb sh!t; but not that dumb. I flipped both front chips.

So whats the answer... Am I messing with the leverage ratio or not?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
As in just one side? I do dumb sh!t; but not that dumb. I flipped both front chips.

So whats the answer... Am I messing with the leverage ratio or not?
you're supposed to flip the upper and lower chips together to keep the leverage ratio the same. flip one (as in one pair, left and right obviously) and you're going to end up with something different (not necessarily better or worse), at least on paper. on some bikes a few mm difference in shock placement isn't a big deal, on others it can be the difference between an inch or more of travel.

paging DW . . .

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
you're supposed to flip the upper and lower chips together to keep the leverage ratio the same. flip one (as in one pair, left and right obviously) and you're going to end up with something different (not necessarily better or worse), at least on paper. on some bikes a few mm difference in shock placement isn't a big deal, on others it can be the difference between an inch or more of travel.

paging DW . . .
At the demo day where I had a chance to ride Kevin Walsh's Revolt he was telling me that his bike was setup like this, only one side flipped. Dunno if I misunderstood him though....

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Flippiing just one pair will have approximately half the effect as flipping both pairs in terms of both BB height and any differences with leverage ratios. If you look at what happens when you flip them to the high position you have the rear flip chip with the hole up and the front flip chip with the hole down, when you go to both in the low BB position you the rear will be down and the front up. In principal this will make the rear of the bike very slightly more progressive but I doubt that it would show up on anything but the most careful plot and would not be felt on the trail. I'll have to look at my bike to see what the effect on the suspension the front geometry change has.

The short answer is that you won't feel a difference in the feel of the suspension by changing just one pair.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Why use two sets of chips if you're not supposed to be able flip only one set? Using one set would make make it dummy proof. :confused:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Why use two sets of chips if you're not supposed to be able flip only one set? Using one set would make make it dummy proof. :confused:
the frame and swingarm change position relative to each other when the bb height is raised/lowered, the idea behind having to sets of flip-chips is so that the actual shock mounts on each end remain the same. granted, this is a lot easier to visualize in person. but from the sounds of it you can flip just the upper one w/out doing anything detrimental to the suspension.

Revolt-Rider

Chimp
Oct 27, 2009
Edmonton AB
Hi, I'm getting an Evil revolt for the 2010 season and I was wondering if I should order a medium or a large. I'm 6 feet tall and 15 so I'm probably still going to grow another 2 inches or so. Thanks in advance.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what size and kind of bike are you on now?

some people you size are on mediums, some are on larges. im 6'2ish" and my large feels fine

Nicoco

Chimp
Aug 24, 2009
Not sure it'll help you in your choice but I'm riding a medium and I'm 6'3"...

it depends how you ride I think... for me the medium is perfect!!!