Quantcast

2009 injured rider list

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
It seems like this season has been especially brutal as far as injuries go, every other thread is about someone hurting themselves. Post up if you've been banged up this year.

When did you crash (date):
What trail you crashed on:
How you crashed:
What did you injure:
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc):
How long are you out for:
How did the bike fair:

This should get interesting.

Last edited:

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
Saturday, July 11th 4:05pm
Lower Breakout
Made love to a tree
Back, Collarbone, ribs
Backboard,Stretcher, ambulance, radiology
about ten weeks as of now, maybe more
i think it was rideable?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
When did you crash (date): May 9th.
What trail you crashed on: Dom's Denial
How you crashed: Came off the drop too hot, landed, panicked, jammed on the brakes, went OTB hard (my friend who watched it estimates I was going about 20 mph when I flipped).
What did you injure: broke my collarbone into 3 pieces.
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc): Saw the paramedic/EMT that works at Mtn. Creek, drove an hour home, went to the ER, went to the orthopedist 2 days later, found out I needed surgery, had surgery, had ANOTHER surgery a month later to fix some issues from the first surgery. Now in the middle of several weeks of PT.
How long are you out for: hopefully I'll start riding again mid-august, so 3 months.
How did the bike fare: seems to be ok, may have bent my fork lowers. Not gonna bother looking at it for another couple of weeks, til riding is a possibility.

Great thread idea, by the way.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
might as well fill out mine:

When did you crash (date): June 7th
What trail you crashed on: Pipeline, well the first table after pipeline
How you crashed: overconfidence and stupidity, went for the jump without testing or seeing what speed to go at. Overshot the landing, bailed in the air.
What did you injure: Broke my left Navicular in my foot into two halves, the top half went on top of the bone behind it the bottom, well, isn't there anymore. Refractured the right wrist (which already has screws and a plate). Got knocked out and had a mild concussion.
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc): Two screws holding my foot bone together
How long are you out for: Can't put any weight on my foot till early August, hoping to get back on the bike for the end of the season (late September/October) for some "light" riding
How did the bike fair: Don't know yet, waiting for the damage report to come in

kyle_nelson

Monkey
Jul 1, 2008
vernon< NJJJJJ
when: july 4
trail: tempest
how: over the bars and i bailed and my bike knocked me over before i got balance
injured: broken collar bone
medical attention: hospital and a figure 8 brace
how long: three months
the bike is fine haha

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Not nearly as bad as any one else in this thread...

When did you crash (date): 7-6-09
What trail you crashed on: Waterboy
How you crashed: The classic "last run" curse, and I was riding sloppy. Hit a rock, went otb, bailed well except for jumping in between 2 rocks. Rolled my ankle with all my weight.
What did you injure: Da Foot, ligaments/tenants
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc): Nope, was on crutches for a few days. Got an x-ray for possible fracture.
How long are you out for: ?? hopefully not long.
How did the bike fair: Seems to be ok, I think I broke the bike's fall as I woke up the next day with a large bruise on my back despite wearing armor.

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
When did you crash (date): July 12, 2009
What trail you crashed on: Greenhorn
How you crashed: Got to confident on a table top jump and got scared in mid-air and bailed out, somehow the bike was attached to my legs when coming down.
What did you injure: Bruised hip and tailbone, tons of bruises and scratches all over my right arm and leg
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc): None I'm a trooper!!
How long are you out for: I want to go back this coming week...lol
How did the bike fair: Nothing happened to the bike, but a moved brake lever!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
When did you crash (date): 7/17/09
What trail you crashed on: Cat 1 course at National Champs.
How you crashed: rider crashed in front of me and instead of hipping the 30 footer i just kinda went straight when i landed and ended up getting stopped by trees at full speed.
What did you injure: right knee
Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc): got a ride down the mountain in a truck, couldnt ride myself down. xrays and MRI are to come within the week.
How long are you out for: no idea.
How did the bike fair: solid.

doesnt look that bad in the picture but it was huge.

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
"doesnt look that bad in the picture but it was huge."

no...it looks bad! hope it's nothing serious. heal up soon!

i broke my hand last week doing TWO mph on the fire road. TWO MILES AN HOUR!

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
My injury is not one of "I crashed and broke into pieces" kind of injury. Mine is one of a cumulative deterioration over time. I had bones fused in my thumb. I should be back in late August. Booooorriiimnng.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
- 8/15
- Deviant... (really?)
- scrubbed the 2nd jump, way over shot it.
- Partial thumb tear, possible scaphoid fracture, bruised pubic patch from the seat, seriously.
- X-ray, MRI, hard cast
- Minimum 6 weeks, max 12 in the cast
- Snapped der hanger

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I hurt my soul at highland! It showed me how fat and rusty I am when riding gnar that isnt familiar!

WAAAH!

J/K - everyone with true injuries - HEAL UP; my shortfall is conditioning - held back as if I *WAS* injured! (no one to blame but me and dominos...)

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
this thread is worthless without pics. :picsstfu:

post pics guys!
I need to take pictures of the xrays of the screws in my foot. Too bad the original xrays o my foot destroyed are gone.

My foot 2 weeks after surgery, right after the stitches were removed (it looked about the same pre surgery, just without the awesome scar)

What 4 weeks of not using one leg looks like

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I need to take pictures of the xrays of the screws in my foot. Too bad the original xrays o my foot destroyed are gone.

My foot 2 weeks after surgery, right after the stitches were removed (it looked about the same pre surgery, just without the awesome scar)

What 4 weeks of not using one leg looks like

4 weeks did not make those legs as white as they are.:D

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
BK, that's terrible, so sorry that happened to you. are you able to put any weight on it yet?
It's been a little over 2 1/2 months since the crash and I'm now starting to walk semi normal again. I still have a slight limp and it hurts to walk after a while but it'll get better. Hoping to be back up at Diablo by the end of the season.

4 weeks did not make those legs as white as they are.:D
It's the lighting I swear :weee: . At its worst my left calf was about 1/2 the size of my right. Got to a ton of road biking to start getting them even again.

What trail did this happen on? Ugghh. I feel sorry for you.
The first table after pipeline drop, over shot that mother

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
It's been a little over 2 1/2 months since the crash and I'm now starting to walk semi normal again. I still have a slight limp and it hurts to walk after a while but it'll get better. Hoping to be back up at Diablo by the end of the season.

It's the lighting I swear :weee: . At its worst my left calf was about 1/2 the size of my right. Got to a ton of road biking to start getting them even again.

The first table after pipeline drop, over shot that mother
haha I was joking, thats gonna be one gnar scar dude:thumb:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Do you have to be injured at Diablo to be on the list? I broke four ribs, dislocated my thumb, and knocked myself out last Sat @ Windham...Will be back in time for the next Platty race!

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
When did you crash (date): today 8/23

What trail you crashed on: bushwack?

How you crashed:
going probably [EDIT: ~25 mph (i was loopy)] no brakes...saw some people on the trail and lost concentration:banghead: next thing i see a rock(8-12" tall connected to flatrock)..no time to pull up and next thing i know im flying through the air flipping and twisting...i land on my back/left side.. backwards(head first) with my bike flying over me...
I got up fairly quick and the people were staring at me scared...I looked at were that rock was and it was a good ~35-40ft away from where i landed, and my bike was another 15-25ft away from me:eekster:

so i rode/walked to the starting gate and told them i couldn't race..then rode down the fire roads

What did you injure:broke my collarbone pretty good, and bruised my back a little bit(nothing major)

Any major medical attention needed (surgery/ambulance ride/etc):went to see the ambulance guys at diablo..I knew i broke something but i barely had any pain from all the adrenaline..they couln't figure out what was wrong so i went to the er

How long are you out for: around 4 weeks EDIT: no dh for 2 months

How did the bike fair: cracked one of my mg-1's in half..i think i tweaked my brake lever ..definetly a few nice scratches, don't know what else

the funniest stupidest part was that i was heading down to the race course start and didn't get to do my run..the course felt great too..fun and fast:eek:

definitly the gnarliest crash i had on my bike and the first time i broke something riding my bike..i wish i at least got it on video:thumb:

Last edited:

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
going probably 35+ mph no brakes

35+ mph is like falling out of a car, into rocks. you would have broken something. 35 mph is pinkbike speed for like 15-20 mph

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Well he DID say he broke his collarbone...but also that he'll be riding again in 4 weeks. So I'm not really sure, what to think. Broken clavicle is definitely gonna put you out for more than a month.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Give the guy some slack, he's probably high on Perc right now... lol

May he heal Quickly.... because i wanna ride with him and Witness the 35MPH run.....

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
The power to overcome air resistance increases roughly with the cube of the speed, and thus the energy required per unit distance is roughly proportional to the square of speed. Because air resistance increases so rapidly with speed, above about 30 mph (48 km/h), it becomes a dominant limiting factor.

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
all right, I exaggerated a bit, definitely 25 mph...
I was in eighth gear before that first steeper chute section with all the logs and i pumped through that section which accelerated me a bit so I guess it was ~15 mph before the chute and ~25 mph after...

i guess i was a little loopy and what not after all the codeine and the crash...

yeah i guess you could say the pinkbike speed of 35 mph, but im thinking the distances were accurate +/- 5ft 'cause i flew...

i went to the doctor today and he said no dh mtb for 2 months, but i could ride regular-like in 4 weeks...pretty bummed

o and its fractured but not displaced so no surgery