Quantcast

2009 Monster Energy - Specialized Team Bikes

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Yup. Most of the time when they swap wet/dry/different tires over in practice they're already mounted on a set of wheels, but they will often swap the dics from wheel to wheel in the proccess. less bolts less time wasted undoing them. 3 ti bolts are more than strong enough.

People seriously still think this is done to save weight?
Thank you for having some insight into the world of racing and all the work that goes into having those "sick, sweet,custom shiny bikes" and spreading it to the forum world and all those that haven't raced enough or on a level where all of those things actually make a difference for the whole package...not just 2.365787 grams for 3 bolts

Rotors are swapped so the braking performance never changes(in theory) throughout the weekend, and when wheel and tire swaps are done...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup. Most of the time when they swap wet/dry/different tires over in practice they're already mounted on a set of wheels, but they will often swap the dics from wheel to wheel in the proccess. less bolts less time wasted undoing them. 3 ti bolts are more than strong enough.

People seriously still think this is done to save weight?
Don't bring up that argument again:twitch:

uhhhhh I'm gonna go with General Lee on this one. Seeing as how he's actually on the WC circuit and all...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I ran 3 bolts (or splined at times) on all my riders bikes, always, since we began using discs. It was a speed of change issue. When discs began on MTBs the pads were so finicky to even a bike wash that sometimes I would take out pads and rotors for a wash as to not contaminate with anything.

Also there is a placebo effect I think when riders know they are on the trickest rigs possible, so even something as retarded as 3 rotor bolts makes em feel fast. I never did it for weight.

That being said...specialized has to be pumped, they have way more signage than Monster does on the bikes and uniforms.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That little red bit on riders forks is a chip timing system like marathoners use. It is being used as a secondary timing system this year. The new timing company seems to be on top of things. They also have a photo finish for 4x, should be cool to see in use.

As for the Monster bikes, both riders prefer the juicy carbon levers for feel. The elixirs have no give at all in them and have a solid CLUNK at the end that they don't like.

As for them not being on specialized tires...wait.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That little red bit on riders forks is a chip timing system like marathoners use. It is being used as a secondary timing system this year. The new timing company seems to be on top of things. They also have a photo finish for 4x, should be cool to see in use.

As for the Monster bikes, both riders prefer the juicy carbon levers for feel. The elixirs have no give at all in them and have a solid CLUNK at the end that they don't like.

As for them not being on specialized tires...wait.
Is Frank Stacey still designing S tires?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
What's the advantage of running 3 Ti versus 3 Steel if it isn't about weight.......? :imstupid:

As for saving time, if you have a good ratchet screwdriver is saves about 30 seconds.....there is something tedious and sometimes aggravating about changing 6 rotor bolts though. :monkey:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
What's the advantage of running 3 Ti versus 3 Steel if it isn't about weight.......? :imstupid:

As for saving time, if you have a good ratchet screwdriver is saves about 30 seconds.....there is something tedious and sometimes aggravating about changing 6 rotor bolts though. :monkey:
Spoken like a seasoned WC mechanic:thumb:

Not sure if Natedog (factory Giant and Team America Mechanic) and Stik (if you have to ask . . .) would share your perspective though. but even if it's 30 sec per wheel as you suggest, for a 3 rider team it would add up to 12 minutes to swap from dry tires, to spikes, and back to dry tires in a practice session. Seems insignificant? Go watch those guys work for a day and see how much time they have to spare.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Good point.......but (30sec X 2wheels) X 3 bikes X 2changes = 12 minutes...?
It does if you plan to put them back on after you've taken them off :clapping:

point is: the mechanics aren't making any more work for themselves than they have to. Unneccessary bolts don't go on the bikes. Rotors have 6 bolts because your average Joey doesn't check to make sure they are tight. ever.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It does if you plan to put them back on after you've taken them off :clapping:

point is: the mechanics aren't making any more work for themselves than they have to. Unneccessary bolts don't go on the bikes. Rotors have 6 bolts because your average Joey doesn't check to make sure they are tight. ever.
I agree with you....was just nitpicking about the Ti vs. steel really.

On the time thing.....you got me. :banghead:

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Is Frank Stacey still designing S tires?
He was last year when I was involved with Specialized and Team America.

Frank is an awesome guy, really down to earth, nice, easy to talk to...and most importantly very very thorough with all of his testing. No suprise that alot of there tires are so good.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Spoken like a seasoned WC mechanic:thumb:

Not sure if Natedog (factory Giant and Team America Mechanic) and Stik (if you have to ask . . .) would share your perspective though. but even if it's 30 sec per wheel as you suggest, for a 3 rider team it would add up to 12 minutes to swap from dry tires, to spikes, and back to dry tires in a practice session. Seems insignificant? Go watch those guys work for a day and see how much time they have to spare.
I can say off the start, when you are a team mechaninc there isn't much time in the day to hang-out or "bro-down", although sometimes you need to to step away from your work and breathe. So any safe, time saving options you can run, you usually will (3-4 rotors bolts). That being said 3 rotor bolts speeds up the process of wheel swaps exponentially. I wish i could say it only took 30 seconds per wheel, but it never seems to go that quick...I may be wrong though.

I will also speak to the comment Stik made about bike washing. Sometimes the brakes are just soo finicky that the rotors would have to come off when you wash so they would work like the riders would want...especially after qualifying and before race runs...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I can say off the start, when you are a team mechaninc there isn't much time in the day to hang-out or "bro-down", although sometimes you need to to step away from your work and breathe. So any safe, time saving options you can run, you usually will (3-4 rotors bolts). That being said 3 rotor bolts speeds up the process of wheel swaps exponentially. I wish i could say it only took 30 seconds per wheel, but it never seems to go that quick...I may be wrong though.
Seems like it would be a stressful job....don't want to make any mistakes or do anything that would foul up a racers performance. No sense in wasting any time, at certain times there is probably no time to waste...