Quantcast

2009 Specialized Site up

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Holy Enduro SL line Batman! Only the S-Works model comes with the Specialized E150 SL fork now! What's going on here?! Did the big red S give up on their forks except for the super high end market?

EDIT: Just found this thread on MTBR... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=441815

EDIT #2: Anybody notice the price for the S-Works Epic? :shocked:

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
They have a few cool things going on, but it kind of reminds me why I hate the model year game... very few changes except for paint and a few components here and there, but its enough to sell more bikes:bonk:
I like the fact that they aren't doing as much of the S branded suspension. Coming from a shop that sells alot of Specialized i saw more than a few questionable suspension parts coming in (some more than once)
That being said, the new SX is pretty freakin sexy and the new SX trail and bighit are starting to grow on me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow. For that much money you can get a handbuilt in the USA DH frame and built it up with a nice spec. well. you will soon. As soon as Doc releases the hounds so to speak :D

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I see that they are still using that patented POS rear derailleur guard for the Bighit. The only good that did me was constantly ruining my limit screw for the low setting. Great idea that was.

DH4EVER

Chimp
Jul 3, 2008
I see that they are still using that patented POS rear derailleur guard for the Bighit. The only good that did me was constantly ruining my limit screw for the low setting. Great idea that was.
Yeah dude, it did that on my demo too, they really need to stop doing that

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So they've gone to the Fox 32 with the 15mm through axle on a lot of the Enduro SL's..... but check the front hub spec. 25mm like their branded forks, looks like the specs haven't been fully updated.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Holy Enduro SL line Batman! Only the S-Works model comes with the Specialized E150 SL fork now!
I'm just surprised they put 32 TALAS' on there... I would think that an Enduro deserves the 36 TALAS.... silly people. Now they essentially have the same fork on the Enduros and Stumpjumpers (except for an inch of travel and a 25mm through-axle)...

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The 25mm axle will only be on S-works Enduros, because they are the only ones with the e150 fork. Spec decided to only outfit the S-works model with their fork to decrease the number produced thus increasing quality.

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
all I can say is at the prices they are pushing for their bikes that come stock with a bunch on their inhouse parts, I will not be buying a new Specialized bike this year. Hello EBAY, home of the reasonable priced bikes!
It's disappointing to see such retardedly high prices for bikes these days

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
It's disappointing to see such retardedly high prices for bikes these days
It's disappointing to see such a retardedly stupid statement. Can you really blame Bicycle manufacturers for increasing their prices in accordance with the inflation of everything else? Cost of raw materials, rubber, production, transportation, milk, are all up from a year ago. Carbon fiber alone has gone up 30% from a year ago.

How dare a company trying to make a profit pass their increases in costs along to their consumers!

This is an inevitable part of living in a capitalist society. Get used to it or move to N. Korea.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's disappointing to see such a retardedly stupid statement. Can you really blame Bicycle manufacturers for increasing their prices in accordance with the inflation of everything else? Cost of raw materials, rubber, production, transportation, milk, are all up from a year ago. Carbon fiber alone has gone up 30% from a year ago.

How dare a company trying to make a profit pass their increases in costs along to their consumers!

This is an inevitable part of living in a capitalist society. Get used to it or move to N. Korea.
or buy from another company like giant, that arguably rides better and costs less. If you don't like the prices buy from another company that you do like the prices from.

PS (I agree with you mattmatt)

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car

who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Yes the prices are increasing, partly due to inflation, partly due to an increase in the cost of gas in relation to the transport of products and partly due to mfg's hiking the crap out of the costs of there products. A friend of mine owns a bike shop, a Specialized bike shop and in the shop he has a 7200.00 s-works which in my opinion is retardly high! Anyone who would spend that much on a bike, in my opinion, either has money flowing out the wazu or is a complete moron! There is no need to attack me for expressing my views on the price of bikes, bike products or anything else out there. I never made any claim about you or your views so why bash me?
Is my statement really the only one you have seen so far in relation to bitching about higher prices and bikes/economy? I know for myself I have seen numerous threads in several different forums about this very subject.
Take a Xanax, drink a beer and relax Buddy!

Last edited:

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i work at a specialized dealer and i must say, i am looking forward to the day that i go up to the warehouse and have to pull the new epics, sx trails, or p bikes. Its gonna be freakin sweet to test ride them after i get done building.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
who noticed the new shock length on the sx trail?? 7.875*2.25" i guess i will not be getting that bike this year! i know its not a bad leverage ratio but the old model just had alot better one and its not like you can change the rear shock or anything now either!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Whats the deal with the price difference between the sx frames? Blah...
Different frames... one's the shorter-travel SX, the other is the longer-travel SX Trail.

Zark said:
So they've gone to the Fox 32 with the 15mm through axle on a lot of the Enduro SL's..... but check the front hub spec. 25mm like their branded forks, looks like the specs haven't been fully updated.
Just a typo. Either they didn't change it from last year's spec sheet, or someone accidentally typed a 2 instead of a 1.

slyfink said:
I'm just surprised they put 32 TALAS' on there... I would think that an Enduro deserves the 36 TALAS.... silly people.
I can think of two reasons why they did this: 1) to keep the weight down (which uneducated consumers will like), and 2) to match the front and rear travel (both at 150mm). The 15mm thru-axle Fox forks have 150mm travel, compared to the 160mm of the 36 forks. Perhaps Specialized felt the axle-to-crown height on the 36 was too high and affected the bike's handling characteristics.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
who pissed in your cheerios this morning? Yes the prices are increasing, partly due to inflation, partly due to an increase in the cost of gas in relation to the transport of products and partly due to mfg's hiking the crap out of the costs of there products. A friend of mine owns a bike shop, a Specialized bike shop and in the shop he has a 7200.00 s-works which in my opinion is retardly high! Anyone who would spend that much on a bike, in my opinion, either has money flowing out the wazu or is a complete moron! There is no need to attack me for expressing my views on the price of bikes, bike products or anything else out there. I never made any claim about you or your views so why bash me?
Is my statement really the only one you have seen so far in relation to bitching about higher prices and bikes/economy? I know for myself I have seen numerous threads in several different forums about this very subject.
Take a Xanax, drink a beer and relax Buddy!
Sorry, I probably went a little overboard with my statement. I'm just getting tired of seeing threads with people bitching about price increases. If you look at the percentage increase of Milk, gas or any other standard commodity over the last year, bicycles have gone up by a substantially smaller percentage.

It probably doesn't help that I work at a Bike Shop, I'm an international business major, and I'm taking 2 graduate level economics classes this semester.

P.S. I like chex not cheerios, and I'm 8 currently beers deep.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry, I probably went a little overboard with my statement. I'm just getting tired of seeing threads with people bitching about price increases. If you look at the percentage increase of Milk, gas or any other standard commodity over the last year, bicycles have gone up by a substantially smaller percentage.

It probably doesn't help that I work at a Bike Shop, I'm an international business major, and I'm taking 2 graduate level economics classes this semester.

P.S. I like chex not cheerios, and I'm 8 currently beers deep.

it is one thing to increase retail prices due to increasing commodity prices.......it is quite another thing to produce products in a significantly less expensive place (Asia) and to use less expensive in-house products ....and yet charge the same or more as a product that is made in a more expensive place (US, UK, etc) and built with recognized brand name products....

I am certainly not going to argue the quality of overseas production....but it IS less expensive, and the end product SHOULD reflect this. We as consumers (especially as US consumers) are getting REAMED (in many ways) when we pay the same for a product that is moved to overseas production. We pay more for 'less' and it is just one more small step in ....loss of US mfg, trade defecit, transfer of wealth, etc.

I was surprised to look at Demo pricing (frames). I have not looked in a couple of years (because I dont care)....but they have come down significantly in the last two years. A demo 8/9 used to be ~$3000...now $2200. IMO, this where companies like SPec, giant, etc could really make a difference in the bike biz. Asian production price reductions should be used to make bikes more available, NOT to increase profit margins for the big guys!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
wow. For that much money you can get a handbuilt in the USA DH frame and built it up with a nice spec.
My DH bike is no longer a specialized, but having owned 3-4 of them in the past, I can quite confidently say that their manufacturing processes and attention to detail far surpass most if not all US-made frames I've seen/owned. Country of origin stopped meaning anything many years ago, and I think there are few people out there that haven't realised this by now.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
For us euros the prices don't seem to be that high.
A demo 8 for 3900,- USD ( ca. 2700,- EUR) seems acceptable.
On a different note: funny, that the cheaper bikes in the model-lines are better looking than the more expensive ones (Demo 8 vs. Demo 8 II, Enduro SL comp vs. Enduro SL expert....)

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
i must be missing something here...:huh:

im clicking the link and all i get is the 2008 site, i searched it for a good 15 minutes and found no trace of anything 2009.

can someone help me, :imstupid:

edit: nvm i found it, apperently they don't like canadians, i was in the Canada region and it seems to be unupdated... i feel really stupid now...

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I couldn't find it on the site, but does anyone know if they will be offering the gromhit for '09?
My boy who is 9 will begin riding DH next year it would be the perfect bike for him.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
who noticed the new shock length on the sx trail?? 7.875*2.25" i guess i will not be getting that bike this year! i know its not a bad leverage ratio but the old model just had alot better one and its not like you can change the rear shock or anything now either!
From what I've read the shock can be changed. The new design rear shuttle should work with any shock.

Bummer the leverage ratio went up! I'm really glad I bought a 06 Enduro.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Perhaps Specialized felt the axle-to-crown height on the 36 was too high and affected the bike's handling characteristics.
Axle to Crown on the 150mm 32 is about an inch shorter than for the e150. They would have had a better time with geometry on the 36.