Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

-D-

Chimp
Jul 28, 2009
Santiago told me some of what they do is proprietary, secrets of the trade. They break in the fork for you and add some "liquid gold" according Santi. Some low friction juice I guess.

I wanted him to explain more since I do all of my own bike work, but I guess not. Oh well, it rides much better now. And Santiago only lived 30 minutes away so if I have problems he's close enough to help.
LOL.. It's goooold. Think they are adding some teflon in there? :thumb:

I just got off the phone with go-ride. They are going to give zoke a ring and get a recommendation for the shim-stack setup. I'll document what they use and post up here if it works well for some of us light-weight guys.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
really? Ronnie told me everything he did while he was working on my fork
Ronnie has been doing this stuff much longer. Santiago got trained for it just this year. Not sure why he wouldn't explain the exact details. No big deal though, I see/ride with him frequently anyway.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Ronnie has been doing this stuff much longer. Santiago got trained for it just this year. Not sure why he wouldn't explain the exact details. No big deal though, I see/ride with him frequently anyway.
When you had him do up your fork, was this at a race or at his shop? I'm coming from AZ to Snowmass and I wanted to get a little help with set up. Bobby over at Marz said that he would be their main contact as far as the MSCs go so meeting with him seems to be my only hope as far as getting dialed.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
When you had him do up your fork, was this at a race or at his shop? I'm coming from AZ to Snowmass and I wanted to get a little help with set up. Bobby over at Marz said that he would be their main contact as far as the MSCs go so meeting with him seems to be my only hope as far as getting dialed.
Santiago is actually a friend of mine. Works out well my team is sponsored by his employer huh?:thumb:

Santi did my fork at his shop near Denver, I don't know if he travels with everything. Do you have his contact info?

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Santiago is actually a friend of mine. Works out well my team is sponsored by his employer huh?:thumb:

Santi did my fork at his shop near Denver, I don't know if he travels with everything. Do you have his contact info?
No I don't... I met him a couple years ago when I lived in Denver but I highly doubt he'd remember me. Any initial point of contact would be very appreciated.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
No I don't... I met him a couple years ago when I lived in Denver but I highly doubt he'd remember me. Any initial point of contact would be very appreciated.
Secret Cyclery's phone number 303-670-0396. Or as they call it the "Mountain Lab". Kinda is I suppose, its a house/shop up in the woods on a dirt road:thumb: That's the cool thing about Denver, drive 30 minutes and you go from down town to the mountains.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Yay! 7.7nm/XHeavy spring and grey lowers installed.

They sent the lowers without stickers and included a sticker kit. Im really going to put stickers ON this thing? 1st thing I do to a new frame or fork is remove the clashing crap stickers so it looks like a machine and not a toy. rant, rant..

Only possible gripe is that the 'upgrade' spring was not shrink wrapped like the one that came inside, and seems to be a bit scrapey; thats just cheesy, but I can shrink wrap it myself if it really is an issue.

Cheesy!

So anyone needing a spring change, they have em!!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Only squishing it on the floor (mounting it on bike tomorrow, need a couple of things)

Spring feels super stiff. I am 246 now without gear, probably close to 255-260 with and Im not sure!!

I hope I dont have to downgrade to the heavy, I want to beat this thing up this weekend. Ill have to bring my 66 just in case.

The bindy/scrapy is annoying too; that sh*t better work out and not make me shrink wrap or go through fuss.

Lotsa nice about this fork, but some really obvious details are overlooked.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
For some reason I think the ti spring wont fit in the straight gauge stanchions; think I read that somewhere - maybe this thread - Im not searchin' - but I saw it!

We'll see tomorrow!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hmm... got it, riding it, works REALLY well - cant come to my final asessment as its topping out yuckily, and Im also not sure if Im using the last inch of travel.

Zip tie for the travel test - but anyone have any idea whats up with the top out? Rebound is not super fast, oil is correct (300cc Damper, 80cc Spring.)

hmm...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
are you sure your stanchions are the same height as each other? i had one slip down in the crown and it caused a crazy topout
If they're off, it's by very little. I will check!

I did a sweet job swapping the lowers/guts; I even used my torque wrenches (hoot-e-hoo!) so I know everyything is super.

EDIT: But the Min/Max markings wore off during the swap (cheap?) - So the alignment is def questionable.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If they're off, it's by very little. I will check!

I did a sweet job swapping the lowers/guts; I even used my torque wrenches (hoot-e-hoo!) so I know everyything is super.
if it's a little, it wont matter. if its a bunch, then it will.

did Marz want to charge you to to swap the lowers?

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
if it's a little, it wont matter. if its a bunch, then it will.

did Marz want to charge you to to swap the lowers?
150 for extra lowers, got it down to 100 through shop hookup.

The top out is very obvious, there doesnt appear to be a major dif if at all in stanchion position ( I didnt measure, just eyed last night)

I want that to stop - fork works great in gen, but I cant stand that crap.

I will call Marz now and see what they advise.

and find a nice orange zip tie or maye even slip an oring over the stanchion

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
150 for extra lowers, got it down to 100 through shop hookup.

The top out is very obvious, there doesnt appear to be a major dif if at all in stanchion position ( I didnt measure, just eyed last night)

I want that to stop - fork works great in gen, but I cant stand that crap.

I will call Marz now and see what they advise.

and find a nice orange zip tie or maye even slip an oring over the stanchion
Close off the damper side with the stanchion a couple inches lower, so when the fork is out of the crowns, the damper side sits lower naturally. It creates a little bit of a negative pressure top-out cushion.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
did you try the fork before you swapped the lowers? did it top out then?
Just floor test, it didnt go on the bike until the swap. It doesnt top out constantly, but about 60% of the time.

I will try the neg spring action Hacktastic! I did notice that I couldnt' overcome SOME of that when assembling. It was a hoot when I was trying to poor the oil out of the damper leg -- "wtf?" -- then realized the air/volume adjuster was in there!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ok, did the above, added some rebound (ft and rear) bike seems balance.

Still have to ensure I am using all travel, but even if Im not -- this thing is confidence inspitring! Front takes care of business but stays up and more responsive. Bike feels lighter AND faster. This is jumping from the 66 to the 10 888, so its not a direct transition, but the 07 never felt this active and confident no matter what I did to it!

Now to find a proper o-ring (in a nice color) and slip it on one of the stanchions for a travel test (f a zip tie!)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Actually there is only one of these in the world and it is stillin my office. I am going to have a hard time leting this one out of my hands!! It is a full Works fork that I have custom tuned for Bryson Martin Jr. It has polished bushings, tuned shim stack and oil level as well as the teflon additive and specially blended seal grease.

Ronnie

Last edited:

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
The CRC guys appear to have the new forks on their bike Chamery.

I've got a new 888 EVO sitting on my desk. Can't wait to mount it up.

Is worth checking the oil level before I ride it?

fast_bastard

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
I'm having issues with my 2010 888 Evo Ti. The fork is puking oil out of the lower leg on the damper side. The oil is coming out by the compression knob. Has anyone seen this before? Any known fixes? The fork is very new, only a few days riding on it.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I'm having issues with my 2010 888 Evo Ti. The fork is puking oil out of the lower leg on the damper side. The oil is coming out by the compression knob. Has anyone seen this before? Any known fixes? The fork is very new, only a few days riding on it.
Might be missing the small O-ring from the compression adjuster. My 55 TI was. Give em a call. It's a do-it-yourself job.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
can i pry up my seals to throw some slick honey in there?
i know when Ronnie did my Works job, there was a good amount of grease after the install and ive ridden some harsh conditions since then and would like to grease em up again.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
can i pry up my seals to throw some slick honey in there?
i know when Ronnie did my Works job, there was a good amount of grease after the install and ive ridden some harsh conditions since then and would like to grease em up again.
Grease does not go between the oil seal and the dust wiper. It does nothing in there. Zero.

If you want to properly grease them, then you gotta take the seal out and fill the "cup" in the seal lip with grease, just like with any pressure seal.

What you can do temporarily is just drop some oil onto the stanchions or down into the dust wiper with the little spring thing removed. Or just pry that up, and put some super thick motor oil onto the foam ring that lies between the dust wiper and oil seal.

For the nickel stanchions especially, it is really important to keep that foam ring full of oil.