Quantcast

2011 Paris-Roubaix

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Who is stoked for Paris-Roubaix this weekend?

It's one of my favorite races, truly epic and the stuff of many legends. I am fairly ambivalent about a lot of the road stuff these days but P-R will always be a special day. And that's only partly because I had the great experience of going to see P-R in 2001, the year Hincapie almost made it happen despite being severely out-manned by Domo.

Cancellara is definitely talking a big game: “I am the only man in the world who can make an attack like the one in Flanders, or in Roubaix in 2010. Everybody knows that if I’m at 100 percent they have to fasten their seatbelts, like on an aeroplane.” (From Cyclingnews.com)

Of course, he's pretty much 100% correct, and he's my pick. But this race is as much about luck as strength, so anything can happen.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm going to have to see if it's on tv and set my dvr since I'll be out of town racing super D!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
It's going to be a hell of a race. Cancellara's performance in Flanders was impressive and showed that he had the most strength of anyone in the peleton.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's going to be a hell of a race. Cancellara's performance in Flanders was impressive and showed that he had the most strength of anyone in the peleton.
Right. It also showed that he is still beatable, and that maybe (just maybe) he's not a strong as he thinks he is. He wasted a lot of energy in Flanders and combined with the hydration issue it was probably why he didn't win.

Should be a hell of a battle. I hope to see some other teams in the mix, like maybe Garmin and Cervelo. Boonen should be up there, of course, but there are a lot of opportunists as well.

Also, there will be tons of veterans on the road and this race awards experience. Anyone think Hincapie? Would love to see it, but it's not very likely.

Last edited:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Anyone think Hincapie? Would love to see it, but it's not very likely.
When he was in the chase group at the end of Flanders, that thought crossed my mind, and I loved the idea................but.............

Lance probably told him that he isn't allowed to win. Kind of like Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Spoilers!

Glad the Vansummeren won. He's never had a big win like that, but has always worked hard for others (I mostly remember him for his awesome sliding stop in P-R 2009 when Hoste went down...he stops for Hoste, which naturally does nothing). As I sort of expected, Cancellara looked to be a victim of his own success. But he did what all great (or at least well-liked) bike racers do: he gave it his all anyway.

Wow, overall, I have to say there's been some great racing this year. All the major events have been pretty close or at least interesting. MSR was, for me, the top of the heap with all the different kinds of riders in the finale and non-stop attacks right to the end.

Edit: just one thought- it really is good too see a rider give it everything even when the odds are against him. One reason I liked MSR this year is because Nibali and Scarponi (and even Gilbert, though few seem to think so) weren't very suited to the last kms of the course, they still did what they could instead of just sitting in. Giving it everything in spite of the odds and taking initiative are what make for good racing and for racers that people like- there's a reason why Boonen and Gilbert get lots of press (and wins) when Pozzato and others get criticized.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I agree with you, the racing has been great this year. I couldn't believe the bridge/sprint of Scarponi at MSR. Great race yesterday with lots of action and drama. Too bad Chavanel had such bad luck. I don't really like Boonen, but I would like to have seen Chavanel be there at the end.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SPOILERS:

Props to Garmin for having the strongest team, and playing their cards the right way. Hoshovd missed his chance to go for the win in the rainbow jersey but it was a huge day for the team (and obviously for the Van Summeren). Very well played and it seems that Van Petegem's involvement as a consultant paid off.

Cancellara was a victim of his own success, and he was also hampered by a pretty weak team. More proof that being (arguably) the strongest rider in the race is not always enough.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I finally watched it. He didn't win, but Cancellara damned sure didn't let all those fags squat his wheel to out sprint him again.

I like Vansummeren but really can't get into Garmin Cervelo. I don't know why, but don't like them.

Bring on more classics.