Quantcast

2011 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Rocky Mountain has completely revamped the design of the ever-popular Slayer line. The bike was released at Sea Otter to the masses, so here is Ridemonkey's first look at the next-generation Slayer 70!
---

Photos by Fraser Britton
Words by David Peacock

Behold, Ridemonkeys, the Slayer 70.

The bike weighs in at a scant 29.2 pounds prior to the application of foot-resting devices; for a 165mm travel bike that is damn impressive. Labeled as an "enduro-DH and aggressive all-mountain" machine, the Slayer is built with everything that is expected from Rocky Mountain: love, time, and some fine-ass aluminum. As expected from the boys north of the border, the frame is hand built in Canada, so you can be assured that those welds were done by a professional.

The angles on the bike rest at 66.5 degrees for the head angle, and 75 degrees for the seat angle. Rocky labels the seat tube's sharp angle "Straight Up Geometry" for obvious reasons, and you can tell the bike is born of the rugged slopes in British Columbia by its slack head angle.

The parts specifications are as follows:​

-Easton Haven Bar and Stem
-Fox 36 Talas 160
-SRAM X.9 shifters and rear derailleur
-SLX Front derailleur e-type mount
-Formula ONE brakes
-Race Face SIxC carbon Cranks
-ISCG Tabs
-DT Swiss EX500 rims laced to DT Swiss 240S hubs
-Cane Creek Headset
-Fizik Tundra Saddle
-Maxxis Ardent Tires

The price of this Canadian she-wolf has yet to be determined, so keep an eye on www.bikes.com for the pocketbook details.

Attachments

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What's the deal with the suspension? I assume it's not an accident that we didn't get a close up of the rear dropouts?

First glance, I like...a lot.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Gully's new Slayer just popped up on my facebook news feed-

I wonder how well the frame will hold up to his abuse

edit: doesn't show if you're not logged in to FB I guess

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I really like the look of the new Slayer.

Can any e-engineers provide any e-speculation on the rear pivot location and how this will affect the suspension with reference to the Horst-link on the big S bikes?

RMB-PM

Chimp
Apr 23, 2010
Hi Guys,

Alex from Rocky Mountain here. Thanks for the feedback. Here's a link to answer some of the questions and speculation on the bike.

Keep it coming! Every little bit helps.

See ya out there.

Last edited:

RMB-PM

Chimp
Apr 23, 2010
The SS is a park / FR bike. The Slayer is agressive AM. It can definitely handle the odd foray in the park, but really meant to be ridden to the top of that gnarly DH.