Quantcast

2011 World Championships: Champery

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It is a bit early but let's get some predictions going.

I am picking:

Gwin
Moseley
Brosnan for Juniors
Graves for 4x

I think that Hill might make it in the top 10 but I do not see him on the podium at all. Not enough time on the bike and he will push way too hard to make a point, and make some bad mistakes.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
From Hills blog:

"August 23, 2011
So I have been given the green light from my doctor to start riding again. I have been told to try not crash though which I can't promise anything but I'm stoked to be able to ride my bike. The last 2 days I have ridden some mellow cross country on my stumpy. I have been loving it and can't keep the smile off my face. My shoulder is still very weak and I have nearly been over the bars a couple times because I have hit some unexpected bumps and not had much strength there. It will all come back though and I'm hanging to get back out on my demo 8 soon when my shoulders a little stronger.

I'm still heading to the world champs though looking to back up my title.

Sh#1"

Mind games? If not, I think there is no chance.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I think anyone betting against Gwin is wasting their money, not gonna stop me rooting for Hart tho!

It'll be interesting to see where Brosnans time stacks up against the seniors, I'd be willing to put money on it he'll be close to a podium time.

It's bound to rain, if it does the smaller guys like Hart/Brosnan will probably struggle. Would love to see Brendan smash it but I just don't think he has the strength 'cos of that injury in SA :(

Hill, hmmmmmmm who knows....

Jun 1, 2011
Denver
Remember last year, everyone was sceptical about Sam Hill then too. Also, he has five things Gwin doesn't have (those would be rainbow striped jerseys). I've been a Sam Hill fan boi since I started riding DH 8 years ago, I see no reason to stop now (yes, I agree that Gwin will most likely win).

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
my prediction: sam hill plays slow in the seeding runs, doesn't do alot of practice runs.

And then rapes the sh1t out of the race and wins by 7 seconds, with gwin ahead of 3rd by 5 seconds.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Come on. This is the stuff Hollywood dreams of isn't it?

Hill. Former superstar. Everyone's hero. Get's injured. Falls from grace. Gets fat and out of shape. Disappears from racing. In the mean time, in comes a new hero. Gwin dominates. Looks like the title is his to lose. But what's this? Hill's going to try and make a go of it?!

I jest, but I'm friggin' stoked to see how things play out. Gonna be watching for sure.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Hill. Former superstar. Everyone's hero. Get's injured. Falls from grace. Gets fat and out of shape. Disappears from racing. In the mean time, in comes a new hero. Gwin dominates. Looks like the title is his to lose. But what's this? Hill's going to try and make a go of it?!

I jest, but I'm friggin' stoked to see how things play out. Gonna be watching for sure.
I donno if winning world champs after getting injured, and coming back and maintaining a solid top 10 presence before getting reinjured counts as disappearing.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I think some of the riders, junior girls in particular are going to struggle with the track, especially if it rains...
Although thats based on riding it last year, Ben may have made some changes to accommodate the wide range of abilities present at a world champs vs world cup.

Ideal scenario for Hill would be that it rains and rains hard for the top 30. Having been there in 2007 and witnessed what he did in the rain I don't think anyone else would be able to touch him- even Gwin.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement

I wonder how in shape you are Mr.World Champ.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think some of the riders, junior girls in particular are going to struggle with the track, especially if it rains...
Although thats based on riding it last year, Ben may have made some changes to accommodate the wide range of abilities present at a world champs vs world cup.
No, it is still very much the same. If anything I let it get a little more technical and let some of the roots and rocks come out a little more. I opened up some inside lines and tried to make an extra line where it ravines when it rains. It is riding great right now!

Oh, I also added a couple more big jumps at the bottom. There are six in a row now.

We welded this up on Monday for the 4X'ers.

There are a couple more shots on Dirt.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/champery-world-championship-photos.html

I gotta go tape the 4X and DH now.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
Blenkinsop.

Won here before, seems to be healed up.
just wondering, are you saying blenkinsop has won in champery before? I am not so sure, the only WC he has won, to my knowledge is Schladming 2008.

I am hoping Sam Hill wins, but the form Gwin is in, it would be mad to bet against him.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I want to see Hill win. The internetz will collapse under the fanboydom!
hahah likewise... but rumour has it that he only got out of his sling two days ago. The dude is a freak but even freaks are subject to reality now and then...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
just wondering, are you saying blenkinsop has won in champery before? I am not so sure, the only WC he has won, to my knowledge is Schladming 2008.

I am hoping Sam Hill wins, but the form Gwin is in, it would be mad to bet against him.
D'oh! Redacted.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
No, it is still very much the same. If anything I let it get a little more technical and let some of the roots and rocks come out a little more. I opened up some inside lines and tried to make an extra line where it ravines when it rains. It is riding great right now!

Oh, I also added a couple more big jumps at the bottom. There are six in a row now.

We welded this up on Monday for the 4X'ers.

There are a couple more shots on Dirt.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/champery-world-championship-photos.html

I gotta go tape the 4X and DH now.
If Gwin is Rock Jesus... then Ben is God.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
In the words of Fraser Britton...

"I can't wait to get there and see the gong show first hand".

I am bringing my sun making machine with me as well.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Bring a hose. It'd be way more fun. :D

It's 90+ in Morzine this week with a few EPIC storms at night. not much rain, but loads of lightning and thunder and angry black clouds.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Brosnan seems to be on quite a roll. Getting higher placement at every race and 4th is pretty damn good. I wanna see him do well overall at World's.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

Thursday's practice last year in the dry was a definite gong show. I have never seen so much sick riding and huge crashes in such a short amount of time. I saw things I didn't think were possible (lines). With the level of riding being a bit higher now I am so excited/scared to see the guys ride.

We had to heli in the 4X start ramp yesterday.

Start of the DH yesterday afternoon.

Stik, careful with that sun machine. The track needs a little moisture to achieve it's full potential! Not like the last 2 times but like today would be perfect.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I wanted to come and watch this race, cause the last WC I was at, was Lugano 2003, but I'll be here insted

oh, well...
Couldn't find a busier beach?

Such a shame Smith is out. Kid was good on that type of track and showed he can put a solid run together.