Quantcast

2012 Trek

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Only a very few people knew that there was anything special going on in his fork. Even last week at Windham, no one from Fox would tell me who else was even on that fork, besides Gwin. There's obviously a few guesses that would be fairly accurate, but no one was talking. I found it odd that they'd tell me about what was going on inside the fork in Whistler a few weeks ago, but wouldn't tell me who was on it!
Interesting...

While watching Gwin during practice at Windham blasting through the last rock garden/right hander something about how his suspension was behaving didn't add up... I was so intrigued by it, I must have stood in that spot for an hour, just to watch him work the bike through there.

He took the absolute roughest line through there at ridiculously high speeds. He wasn't trying to "tap-dance" the bike over the tops of rocks like Hill does but seemed to be just "plowing" that one section. His front and rear wheels were just cycling through travel like mad, but the overall attitude of his bike stayed balanced...

That by itself isn't particularly unusual, but when you also consider that he typically runs a stiff suspension setup with a lot of compression and spring AND I never heard him "ring the bell" (rims bottoming out and making a *clang* sound) blasting through there... With regards to watching the fork - it was like the damping seemed to shift from "stiff/firm" to "linear/compliant" while hitting knife-edge and square edge hits...

This "Hybrid Air Fork" mod that Trek and FOX are performing on the 40 reminds me of the 06-08' Boxxer Team Air Top Cap Pre-Load mod that some guys were running a few years ago (I think Atkinson was one of them). Interesting.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
While watching Gwin during practice at Windham blasting through the last rock garden/right hander something about how his suspension was behaving didn't add up... I was so intrigued by it, I must have stood in that spot for an hour, just to watch him work the bike through there.

He took the absolute roughest line through there at ridiculously high speeds. He wasn't trying to "tap-dance" the bike over the tops of rocks like Hill does but seemed to be just "plowing" that one section. His front and rear wheels were just cycling through travel like mad, but the overall attitude of his bike stayed balanced...
I noticed that in one of the dirt vids, of qualifying I think it was. His bike seemed unreally glued to the ground over the rough stuff!