Quantcast

2013 Giant Defy Composite 1 vs Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

bitblender

Chimp
Mar 31, 2014
Hi,

I need help deciding between a 2013 Giant Defy Composite 1 and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 (Ultegra components), for replacing my stolen 2009 Felt F5C (Ultegra & 105 mix).

I have been riding since 2009 and have done 3 Death Rides and couple of other centuries. I like going on long rides and climbing. That said, I would also like to race/keep-up with any rider I catch on my mostly-flat ride to work. I foresee myself riding about 50mi per week.

I am being quoted $1800 for the Giant and $2200 for the Cannondale. Both the bikes felt like a big improvement from my Felt. The Synapse felt stiffer and lighter than the Defy. I like the fact that the Synapse has internal routing in the top-tube - is there anything more than just cosmetic value, to this feature ?

I bought my first bike (the Felt) from a friend and never shopped around for a bike since then, so I don't have any experience shopping for a new bike.

Given the above choices and riding requirements, what would you suggest ? Suggestions for other bikes are also welcome. Thank you so much.

Karthik