Quantcast

2013 Glory shock help

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I'm currently riding a 2013 Giant Glory 0 that I picked up used a few months back. The fork is now a Dorado Expert (pure awesomeness) and the rear shock is a 2013 Rockshox Vivid Air.

The Vivid Air feels awesome, but I have concerns about service intervals. The whole issue of having to dissect the entire shock to change air can seals really sucks, and $160+ at least once a year is a major bummer compared to the longer service intervals of coil shocks.

Given that the shock is still in great condition, I'm thinking about getting rid of it and picking up a good coil shock. I haven't really paid much attention to downhill over the past few years, so I'm not totally familiar with the latest-and-greatest. Anyone have any opinions on which shocks I should consider and why? Anything that will work especially well/poorly with the Giant's Maestro design?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
2014+ RC4 w/ small shaft would be my go-to coil shock on most relatively modern frames with progressive curves. The Glory does have a small amount of end stroke digression but I don't personally think it's enough to justify going back to BV-equipped shocks unless you are very fast / very heavy or both. Being in its final iteration before retirement I think it's genuinely the pinnacle when it comes to the reliability, and if you're the kind of person that likes to drag out service intervals, while it's rarely kosher to encourage - this would be the prime candidate to do it with.

Two considerations:
1) If you are used to the firm initial feel of the air shock and for some reason like that, then the fat shaft 2013 RC4 is probably better. If you are a bigger guy or riding at pro level it's probably not a bad idea either. Alternatively just factor this into your spring rate choice on the small shaft.
2) If your weight is such that you need a 500lb or greater spring, it's worth getting the rebound revalved. The 2013 Glory still uses the 2.75 stroke shock the leverage ratio is high by modern standards, and as a result rebound dampers can be pushed outside of their ideal operating shaft speed range.

I would recommend Vorsprung if the second scenario applies, Steve has handled this issue for friends of mine before and he makes a specific change in the rebound stack that makes things mint. It's not a must, just worthwhile when the spring rates go over 450.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I wouldn't say I necessarily go way over service interval recommendations, I am just skeptical that the Vivid Air will really be able to last for a full year of riding without requiring an air sleeve service...