Quantcast

2013 Marzocchi 888 CR how to bleed damper after oil change?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Hi I recently purchased a used 2013 Marzocchi 888 CR with a titanium 5.5nm spring in it. Not sure what the make of spring is but it is titanium and fits in the tube. The plastic wrap that was on it fell apart and the fork needed an oil change and cleaning anyways. Im 190lbs and will need a firm spring, Marz is out of stock with steel springs at the moment..

So I disassembled the fork and cleaned re greased the seals/wipers and added new oil. 400ml to spring side and 80ml to damper side, The damper and all of its adjustments dont seem to do much. It only has 7 settings for compression and around the same for the rebound adjustments. I cannot feel much if any difference between hi or low adjustments. I have added oil directly down the aluminium tube in the damper and then put the other half of the damper and moved it through it motion to get the oil cycling through. I tried just adding the oil to the stanchion tube and then putting it together and cycling the oil through. I can hear the oil going through the damper but it really isnt doing much.

when the whole damper is assembled and the top cap is on, I can put the damper side of the fork through its whole motion with my hand without much effort and the adjustments dont seem to change the feel of it with my hand or on the bike at all?

I wish Marz had a service guide with clear instructions for these forks. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

Ipsec

Chimp
Oct 24, 2012
This is the procedure I followed for both my 888CR and my 55CR. Before I found that video and did the bleed process they show, I also had similar results to what you describe - compression/rebound had no effect, etc.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Yep that sure helped.. I tried to do it basically like he shows even though the damper in the 888cr is slightly different. Bled the rebound knob first and then filled up the aluminum tube and shook it and installed the rebound then installed the whole damper in the stanchion.

The damper is working, it feels like it doesnt start compression till about 3" into the travel but?? way better than it was and the adjustments work now. The rebound is working great.

Thanks again Ipsec

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Bumping this old thread as I am finding myself in the middle of a 2014 888 CR overhaul. It started with a spring replacement and went downhill quickly. What are you guys using for damper oil, Torco 7? I took the cartridge apart and found this seventh circle of hell inside, quite surprising after short three seasons, smelling like burnt nasty socks. Anyone having a similar experience with the 888CR?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
It's a standard feature, there's all manner of non-anodised aluminium in those dampers, tiny flecks of which have turned the oil that appealing shade you see there.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah what Ryan said, it's just the natural oxidisation from the non-anodised aluminium reacting with the oil and turning black, and a lesser amount is wear particles which causes the silvery tinge.

I found Motul works well in those, Motul Expert 10 is a good bet, but mostly anything goes, Torco is fine. I always liked Marzocchis with oil a bit thicker than stock.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Thank you, gents. I didn't see that much oil degradation in other forks with alum cartridges and much heavier use, I learn something new every day. Speaking of the oil, the Torco 7 is too light if the factory oil was Golden Spectro 125/150. I have some Bel-Ray Fork 10w around, perhaps I'll just use that straight or mix it with something a little lighter. Not a semi-syntheric, but I am reading about people's good experience with Bel-Ray in Marzocchi forks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're welcome to pore over my oil collection if you need... I think I have rs 15w, finish line ???? wt, and fox GOLD, but that's not really damper fluid.

Gel O

Chimp
Oct 23, 2017
This is the procedure I followed for both my 888CR and my 55CR. Before I found that video and did the bleed process they show, I also had similar results to what you describe - compression/rebound had no effect, etc.
Just a simple question. Do I need to follow the volume of oil after I bled the damper on my marzocchi 888 cr? Or after the bleeding assemble it straight on? Thanks

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just a simple question. Do I need to follow the volume of oil after I bled the damper on my marzocchi 888 cr? Or after the bleeding assemble it straight on? Thanks
Not sure what exactly your question is but you have to completely fill the cartridge which is what the procedure pictured in the video accomplishes. Then you need to add a bunch of oil to the leg per the service manual (quite a bit IIRC).

Gel O

Chimp
Oct 23, 2017
Not sure what exactly your question is but you have to completely fill the cartridge which is what the procedure pictured in the video accomplishes. Then you need to add a bunch of oil to the leg per the service manual (quite a bit IIRC).
Okay.so I need to fill the cartridge with oil like in the video and then fill the leg with 400ml of oil as per seevice manual.