Quantcast

2013 World Cups announced

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What actually happened to Angle Fire? That was a cool World Cup, but why no more for some years now?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
From what i heard angelfire was too far away from airports and everything else. This could have been wild speculation...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
How long of a drive is it from Fort Bill to the airport?
As cool as it was to have an east coast WC the track never seemed up to par...

It blows my mind that one of the western resorts in the US or Canada haven’t run one in years...There are plenty of mountains with the infrastructure to run a WC out there. And no I'm not talking whistler.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasn't Willingen that old huge bmx track they tried to tell us was a dh race track?

I'm kinda sad there are no new venues. Well that and the fact PMB is still there.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wasn't Willingen that old huge bmx track they tried to tell us was a dh race track?

I'm kinda sad there are no new venues. Well that and the fact PMB is still there.
You gonna need to make it easier for all those former 4X guys to transition to DH, don't you? ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You gonna need to make it easier for all those former 4X guys to transition to DH, don't you? ;)
I'm pretty sure Gravy will be on my Dirt team for that track but given how small the margins are every year on wheels of speed it can make for some wacky results. I remember a race when the top top guys (Mick and someone else) were split by 0.01s.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Looks like no USA stop next year. Go fcuk yourself, UCI
Um, no, go fcuk yourself major US-based bike companies that can find $10 million for a road team and can't spare a few hundred thousand to sponsor the biggest bike race in America, individually or collectively.

If there was a bid from a US promoter who had resources there most certainly would be a US race.

We have to blame ourselves too for not working hard enough to make these races happen via vocal demand and participation in the process. An event isn't going to happen if people who care don't work hard to make it happen.

The fact of the matter is that only one organisation has had the gumption over the last 8 years to make a World Cup happen. Arcane UCI inscription rules notwithstanding, the fault here lies with consumers who don't realize that they create demand for sponsorship just as much as USAC or the UCI.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I have been told, by credible sources at the resorts, that Crested Butte and Winter Park want WCs. But both have 5 year plans that started 3 years ago. So I can't imagine they put a bid in early, what corporation is ever ahead of schedule? I wouldn't be surprised to seem them skip 2014 too.

AF is hosting the US National champs for 2013/2014. They have been expanding trails too. I'm guessing they are waiting to see how Nationals pans out before they commit to a WC again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Finally, a great travel schedule by the UCI - and triples! Love the triples. It's a nice vibe when the world's best are all in one place. DH guys cheering on the XC girls, XC dudes cheering on the DH guys. And almost every european event is back to back so each flight is worth at least 2 events.

Sucks on no Windham, I really liked that track, and being in North America for 2 events. Hopefully their are changes a foot. Remember that the UCI usually changes the schedule once or twice before February. And with the season not starting until June for the DHers, it may change a few times, who knows.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Um, no, go fcuk yourself major US-based bike companies that can find $10 million for a road team and can't spare a few hundred thousand to sponsor the biggest bike race in America, individually or collectively.
A no-name, bitch domestique humping feed bags for a contender team will get more prime-time screen time, to a larger audience, in a single Tour de France than Gwin will over the course of his entire career.

Specialized, Trek and Cannondale can all attribute the strength of their international sales directly to sponsorship of high visibility road teams, despite having committed heavily to MTB racing previously. C'est la vie.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
A no-name, bitch domestique humping feed bags for a contender team will get more prime-time screen time, to a larger audience, in a single Tour de France than Gwin will over the course of his entire career.

Specialized, Trek and Cannondale can all attribute the strength of their international sales directly to sponsorship of high visibility road teams, despite having committed heavily to MTB racing previously. C'est la vie.
Tejay van Garderen has been doing a good job huh?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A potential race in China is cool, wonder whether it will include DH? That would be pretty damn cool.

As for the no US race thing, I know it sucks for the fans but for the racers its not the biggest deal I'm sure. In fact, when you think about it, unless the US race is the first or last of the season it adds a bit of expense travelling to Europe and back twice.

I reckon the kiwis are killing it despite having had one WC race (Champs actually) that I can remember. There's like 5 or 6 kiwis in the top 20 pretty consistently despite having to jump fly halfway around the world to race.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
It blows my mind that one of the western resorts in the US or Canada haven’t run one in years...There are plenty of mountains with the infrastructure to run a WC out there. And no I'm not talking whistler.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/BC-Cup-3-Sun-Peaks-Recap-2012.html
"Keith Ryan, Cycling BC Executive Director also announced that Cycling BC with the help of Henry and other volunteers have been working diligently to secure a World Cup Downhill race for Canada and in particular at Sun Peaks within the next 2 years. Stay tuned for more info."

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Yes it's a BMX track on steriods and no wonder it's by far the easiest world cup track with todays standards,it's less then 2min long.It's no wonder since the track is like 80% concrete,10% rocks,5% jumps/gaps,1% roots,4% grass.

I heard from some people they gonna rebuild the whole DH track

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Specialized, Trek and Cannondale HAVE TO attribute the strength of their international sales directly to sponsorship of high visibility road teams, despite having committed heavily to MTB racing previously. C'est la vie.
Fixed above ^

And I overheard this from a friend:
"we can all thank Lance for bringing a new focus and new passion for road bike racing in the late 90's that saw MTB sponsorship dollars, within the industry, leave in epic proportions. They all got on the road racing/lance train and left MTB in the dust...so when you ask me "dont you think they should just leave lance alone", I say no, because in some weird, f-ed up way, he took money from my genre of sport, and made everyone drink the road racing sauce, and it was all sold on a bill of goods that was based on cheating, manipulation and lies and mob-like mentality....allegedly hahahaha"

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Fixed above ^

"we can all thank Lance for bringing a new focus and new passion for road bike racing in the late 90's that saw MTB sponsorship dollars, within the industry, leave in epic proportions. They all got on the road racing/lance train and left MTB in the dust...so when you ask me "dont you think they should just leave lance alone", I say no, because in some weird, f-ed up way, he took money from my genre of sport, and made everyone drink the road racing sauce, and it was all sold on a bill of goods that was based on cheating, manipulation and lies and mob-like mentality....allegedly hahahaha"
But Lance cured cancer.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Fixed above ^

A recent conversation I had with a former NORBA athlete trustee who was on the board circa '00 brought up the froth and bile that spurts up when I start thinking about the jerkfaces that decided it was time to stick a fork into our sport.

Most people don't realize that in 2000 USA Cycling was $1,400,000 underwater until the big-money capitalists behind the Armstrong Machine swooped in with cash and demands, "rescued" and "reorganized" USAC, replaced the entire management with their puppets and viciously and brazenly gutted NORBA and kicked everyone who gave a damn about anything having to do with dirt(or principles, fairness, truth, etc.) to the curb or made things so nasty for them that they had no choice but to leave.

Now mind you this same cabal is still running USAC and are still all deeply involved, financially with Armstrong, involved as in, you know, running the shell company that owns his private jet...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I reckon the kiwis are killing it despite having had one WC race (Champs actually) that I can remember. There's like 5 or 6 kiwis in the top 20 pretty consistently despite having to jump fly halfway around the world to race.
It's because their government doesn't suck and they have orders of magnitude better land and trail acces. *Sigh* I wish the USFS and BLM would take a hint from NZ.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
It's not world cup w/o asia, when will there be a world cup in ASIA? >> china, indonesia, last time was soo long ago Mt. Arai, Japan

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes it's a BMX track on steriods and no wonder it's by far the easiest world cup track with todays standards,it's less then 2min long.It's no wonder since the track is like 80% concrete,10% rocks,5% jumps/gaps,1% roots,4% grass.

I heard from some people they gonna rebuild the whole DH track
To be honest it would be cool if they kept it and built something new since I really wanted to ride that thing. It looked really fun, just not good racing.

Are you planning to visit? Maybe if time allows and in 2013 I still have to be in office for only 3 days/week I will go to see it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So no new venues. Also has anyone seen the DH1 post where they asked if they should try to start their series again?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
USA or not, it's the Euro cup, with some Canada for SnG.

That's not a 'World' cup; much like the idea of baseballs World Series, or how US teams that compete solely in the US are 'World Champions'

Do what you want, but be honest about it.

Hrrmmph.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
definitely highlights why the UCI is again off the back. It's weird though, everyone whines about the UCI and how they're stifling things and hindering progress, but then listen to the uproar when they dropped 4x, or on the Enduro side with the UCI giving it a pass....perfect chances to build something right and make them work well without the UCI hindering things.

Is it just the 'prestige' thing? Is the 'prestige' worth it if it comes from a governing body that's doesn't appear to be trying very hard to push the sport wider? I just generally think these old boy club, IOC style governing bodies are just leeches trying to live lavish lifestyles on other peoples dime, just doing enough to try and justify their existence, but generally not doing much to really help the sport truly develop and reach it's potential...generally speaking, of course. I understand that Chris Ball was a breathe of fresh air, but he's gone now too. Anyway, bunch of rambling thoughts, I dunno at least it doesn't prevent any of us from getting out riding and having fun regardless, but then again I'm not trying to make a living directly from racing.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw the schedule change on Vital. What is the "tipping point" for the frustration with UCI? Will there ever be a day when the premier racing series isn't affiliated with UCI? Or is DH just too niche to get out from the umbrella of UCI?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw the schedule change on Vital. What is the "tipping point" for the frustration with UCI? Will there ever be a day when the premier racing series isn't affiliated with UCI? Or is DH just too niche to get out from the umbrella of UCI?
Actually the "niche " sports are the ones that are often organized around non standard retirement home organizations. Snowboard, BMX and a few others have big tours that are not affiliated with their respective serious orgs. Even freeride mtb has something even if the model of FMB tour is not perfect.