Quantcast

2014 GT Fury

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
How do you guys feel about the new gen geometry with long tt and stretched wheelbases? I'm 5'7 with short arms and a long torso, this summer I rode a friends Med Glory and the bike felt stable but I felt like I was trying to turn a semi truck? I don't know if a size down would feel better or if any bike with a 48 inch wheelbase is going to feel like that?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like it, but I've said that before. I usually the same geometry is paired with a short rear end, which puts you riding mostly over the rear wheel with you arms stretched out in front. I think it makes the bike way more stable, and more easy to handle much higher speeds. It requires that you get more aggressive with your body positioning to move froward for turns, particularly sharp ones, but the reward is the astounding capability to just absorb any little fuckup at mach 10.

Is it faster? In my opinion, definitely. Is it more fun? Probably not. I think it's harder to handle over jumps and it's more difficult to turn. But I like going fast down trails, not sessioning A line trails all day.

NuckaMan

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
care to post up the parts spec and weight? looks like a sick ride! what size and how tall are you? sorry for the 21 questions
Frame is a Small, running a Boxxer R2C2 w/ Truvativ Direct Mount Stem, Sram XO Shift/Derail, Truvativ Descendant Cranks, E13 ChainGuide, Hadley Front and Sunringle Rear Hubs laced to some Mavic 823.

It's coming in at 40lbs on a bathroom scale....hopefully it rides good. Not sure yet.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Frame is a Small, running a Boxxer R2C2 w/ Truvativ Direct Mount Stem, Sram XO Shift/Derail, Truvativ Descendant Cranks, E13 ChainGuide, Hadley Front and Sunringle Rear Hubs laced to some Mavic 823.

It's coming in at 40lbs on a bathroom scale....hopefully it rides good. Not sure yet.
that fucker is going to be bomb proof. how tall are you? i know the small gt fury is 1mm longer reach than a large dhr, so i imagine some tall dudes could get away riding a small just fine

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife suitably pleased with her gift of a Fury frame, Boxxer Team and saint bits etc. I'll post photos once she's built it up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
With some warmer weather she finally got started with the build. Discovered that we didn't need the Shimano 203 adapters I'd bought for the frame or Boxxer..fork needed a couple of washers to stop caliper/rotor interference though.

Need to cut the steerer, shorten hoses and then I'm open to suggestions on how the heck you get the rear housing to thread through the seatstay and out the hole...

Edit: the plastic cable exit guide on the top of the stay pops out.

Last remaining maintenance issue is needing to swap to a lighter spring and unbolting the rear of the shock successfully is beating me :/

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
^^^^^^^^ Looks awesome dude!! I really like the accent spokes on your wheels, you've given me an idea for my wheel build. Are those white? I wonder how it'd look to try to match the GT yellow?

My Fury frame got here last week, and in good fashion, my initial budget oriented build kit swap from existing DH bike has morphed into a budget destroying, marriage stressing full on DH build :)

Will post photos soon.

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
did you go with 650b or 26? what is your size and height?
5'10 went with a medium. Sixfiddybeeeeez. Went there with my trail bike last year, makes sense (I think) to do it with the new DH build, so it.is.happening. In the southeast, we have a winter race series (1 in Feb, 2 in March) so I am able to give my Sunday a proper rite of passage while parts start to trickle in for the Fury. Soon to be for sale, 2007 complete (medium) World Cup dominating, sh!t brown, IH Sunday. Coming to Pinkbike near you..........................

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
How are spring weights working out for y'all? I am 180 nekked, frame shipped with a 400#, I will definitely ride it first but does this seem reasonable?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm 200lb nude and ride a 450 with the RC4. I will probably look for a 500 this season to keep the bike up a bit higher in its travel. It tends to wallow/sink down under my weight with that spring, but it does have 220mm of travel (the 26" does, at least). I think you'll be OK with the 400 at 180 if you're on the rc4. The vanilla doesn't have the air spring booster to give the bike a little progression, and mine suffered for it.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
What are you guys doing for your chainstay? i thought the factory guard was going to be awesome, but 3 test runs in on the bike and already getting a couple chips through the clear coat. Might wrap it normal bikes without a factory guard. OH THE GRAMS. :panic:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What are you guys doing for your chainstay? i thought the factory guard was going to be awesome, but 3 test runs in on the bike and already getting a couple chips through the clear coat. Might wrap it normal bikes without a factory guard. OH THE GRAMS. :panic:
3M mastic tape. Pretty much the same as my Sanction rear triangle and the mastic tape did the trick.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ Agreed. Only other option is sticky velcro but this collects dirt and shit and looks bad. If you have not put some velcro on the inside of your Dorado fenders near the top, you should. It quiets the clacking of the guard against the legs of the fork. Thank me later. By the way @Metamorphic that is a sweet, sweet rig.

Here's your tape:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Moisture-Sealing-Electrical/dp/B001B1AP3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457636540&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+mastic+tape

Here's your velcro:
http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Sticky-Back-Black/dp/B00006IC2L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457636681&sr=8-1&keywords=adhesive+velcro

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Has anyone got a link to a good baseline shock setting for the 27.5 Fury my wife can start with? I couldn't see anything on the GT website.

(Changing spring on this bike was a PITA, thanks for the pointer @Sandwich)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can take mine off the bike. It would be good for me to write them down so I can go back.

I know @Udi told me to minimize the boost pressure (125psi) and minimize the air chamber for minimum resistance off the top and maximum ramp at bottom out. Seems to work pretty well so far, the difference between the van and RC4 was certainly noticeable, particularly in the progressiveness. Otherwise I started by following his advice for the 40, which was like max HSC and then feed in LSC, but slightly reduced (RC4 compared to 40 settings). I ended up changing those quite a bit, so I'll have to check what I did.