Quantcast

2015+ fox 36 harsh

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Anybody have any time on the 2016 fit4 damper? Is it the damping the same aside from the lack of high speed adjustment since you have low speed adjustment in the open setting?? I just sold my lyrik dpa to get 36 talas and of course now the only 36 talas rc2's I can find are full retail being they are 2017's...could save around 500$ getting a slightly used fit4 one..I dont ever mess with my clickers once I have it setup but Ive never felt a fit4...dont want to buy another fork Im going to have to sell in 2 months like I did with the lyrik..

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Anybody have any time on the 2016 fit4 damper? Is it the damping the same aside from the lack of high speed adjustment since you have low speed adjustment in the open setting?? I just sold my lyrik dpa to get 36 talas and of course now the only 36 talas rc2's I can find are full retail being they are 2017's...could save around 500$ getting a slightly used fit4 one..I dont ever mess with my clickers once I have it setup but Ive never felt a fit4...dont want to buy another fork Im going to have to sell in 2 months like I did with the lyrik..
Getting the FIT4 over the RC2 will be lining up for exactly the same deal as last time, you seem like the kind of rider sensitive enough to appreciate and utilise a proper LSC/HSC adjustable damper. While changing for different tracks is a fringe benefit, the main benefit is that you can get solid mid-speed support without excessive harshness over small bumps / chatter by utilising more on the HS preload adjuster and less on the LS.

Plus maybe the 2017 model will come with the added bonus of ironing out whatever 50% of the owners here seem to be complaining about...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Getting the FIT4 over the RC2 will be lining up for exactly the same deal as last time, you seem like the kind of rider sensitive enough to appreciate and utilise a proper LSC/HSC adjustable damper. While changing for different tracks is a fringe benefit, the main benefit is that you can get solid mid-speed support without excessive harshness over small bumps / chatter by utilising more on the HS preload adjuster and less on the LS.

Plus maybe the 2017 model will come with the added bonus of ironing out whatever 50% of the owners here seem to be complaining about...
Thanks! I pulled the trigger on a '17 talas rc2...wont be here for a few weeks though

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks! I pulled the trigger on a '17 talas rc2...wont be here for a few weeks though
Do you need the travel adjust?

In my experience for friction it's always been Van >>> Float > Talas. They do update it all the time though so hopefully it's good, fingers crossed for ya.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yea. Can't ride without it. @kidwoo is happy with his
Definitely better than the float I used.

I don't even use the travel adjust :rofl:

I've had the talas assembly partially apart a few times just to mess with the travel. It's nothing like any other previous talas thing.

It's just like a coil: In that I bottom the shit out of it if I don't use enough HS compression damping.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's just like a coil: In that I bottom the shit out of it if I don't use enough HS compression damping.
I take it you think the Float ramps up more?

I had to put a bunch of volume spacers in mine to get it to where I'm happy with it, and that's running substantially more air pressure and a little more HSC damping than recommended.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

I had to put a bunch of volume spacers in mine to get it to where I'm happy with it, and that's running substantially more air pressure and a little more HSC damping than recommended.
How do you think that firmer setting does on rocky stuff or flat choppy corners?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How do you think that firmer setting does on rocky stuff or flat choppy corners?
That's where it does well. It honestly doesn't feel great unless you're really smashing it into stuff pretty hard. Just cruising it's harsh.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I never bottomed it. I've done it a few times on that talas now. Even with the HSC damping cranked. That float has other issues though. Some tokens might help it.

Short answer: seems like it

Last edited:

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Got it back and have to admit, the Fox service is pretty damn good. Supposedly I already had latest damper, but it is pretty drastic improvement. Not 100% yet, but i haven't been able to fully dial it in yet. The head tech even called me and picked my brain for about 30min so I gotta give Fox props. Only thing he could see that was possibly causing it was a redesigned quad seal. So they tore it down, totally rebuilt it with latest seals. I also wonder if the damper was overfilled. He did not tear it down personally, only did the rebuild.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Got it back and have to admit, the Fox service is pretty damn good. Supposedly I already had latest damper, but it is pretty drastic improvement. Not 100% yet, but i haven't been able to fully dial it in yet. The head tech even called me and picked my brain for about 30min so I gotta give Fox props. Only thing he could see that was possibly causing it was a redesigned quad seal. So they tore it down, totally rebuilt it with latest seals. I also wonder if the damper was overfilled. He did not tear it down personally, only did the rebuild.
Mind sharing who that was you talked to?

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Jp or jt. One thing he recommended was running rebound almost all the way closed. It is weird, im about 155lbs and running 6 clicks out. I dont see how heavier riders can get away with that.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Does anyone know if the 2017 model is having the problem with negative air bleeding over?

My 16 does it and it bugs me to have to push a zip tie past my seals and possible screwing up my seal or stanchion
.image.jpeg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nice work!
I think you could have made the increase in volume of the negative chamber bigger by machining away more material, isn't it?

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
My fork is at fox right now. I'm gonna ride it and see if they made any difference. Then I'll replace the part and compare.

I'd be interested in seeing the measurements of the fox parts everyone has just to see what kind of or if any tolerance they have.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Yeah i sent my fork in for warranty because of the harshness, they did a full rebuild and changed all the seals, it was marginally better.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2018-fox-36-first-ride.html

"The biggest change is on the air spring side, which receives an increased negative spring volume, as well as a simplified design that eliminates a seal and makes it even easier to add or remove volume spacers."

However -

"That being said, I did find that my hands felt a little more fatigued after plowing through extended choppy sections of trail compared to the RockShox Lyrik that I'd had on my bike previously."

Last edited:

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
That is why the negative air volume increase by itself doesnt fix the root cause. Theyre always going to have some people singing its praises, and some people wondering what the other people are smoking because it doesnt sound like they fixed the fundamental issue.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2018-fox-36-first-ride.html

"The biggest change is on the air spring side, which receives an increased negative spring volume, as well as a simplified design that eliminates a seal and makes it even easier to add or remove volume spacers."

However -

"That being said, I did find that my hands felt a little more fatigued after plowing through extended choppy sections of trail compared to the RockShox Lyrik that I'd had on my bike previously."
That's the part I hate the most about my fork. It feels ok till I'm going fast riding thru baby heads, then it jackhammers!

My fork just got to Fox today so hopefully they will give me a call and I'll see if they can swap in the 18 parts.