Quantcast

2015 Fox 36er

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Totally siktor bro or creaky mess?

I've heard good things. I experienced bad things (Creaking csu) with an older fox 32. what's the deal smart peeps?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@HAB seems to like his a lot, more than his pike and mattoc. hopefully he will chime in.
Yeah I've had a Pike, Mattoc Pro (still have it) and a 2015 36 Float (still have it). They're all good, but I do like the 36 the best of the bunch. It's far and away the stiffest, and has the best air spring of the group IMO. The Pike could use some better bottom out control, and the mid stroke on the Mattoc is a little soft (though it's awesome lowered to 120mm on my hardtail).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw my short list for a new fork (when i get around to it) is the 36 and the DVO diamond. by the time i'm ready for a new fork there should be some better real world reviews for the DVO

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As an aside, does anyone make a single crown fork that isn't prone to creaking CSU? My second Pike has just fallen foul of this. A buddy has gone through multiple 36s. I hear horror stories of both Marzocchi and X-fusion products...

I mean, it's not exactly rocket science...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it is a weird thing. I'm happy with my pike overall but there are better deals on the 36s for us wagon wheelers, so if i'm building up a new bike, why not? Just want to make sure the very prone 32s are the exception and not the rule, so to speak.

I like the dvo, but I don't want to pay retail for it. 685 for a 36? hell yeah.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Love my '15 Float 36.
Flawless so far and a stiff mofo (using 20mm).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The only 2016 Factory series 36s on the Fox site are 15/20 x 100 forks.
Are you really thinking of going boost?
fuck no, I was kidding. 20x100 would be spot on. most hubs are convertible if I ever did get another 15mm fork anyways. I just think it's funny that it's like the one fork on the market that's still 20mm.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
A local shop owner has one of the 27,5" 170mm forks. The fork was already two times sent back for warranty. Massive bushing slop each time after the first rides. He is coming from a XC background, so definitely no brutal hack.
The service shop told him, that his fork wa not the first and the last from the 2015 gen with this problem.
They actually talked about a common issue on the the 2015 forks from Fox.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As an aside, does anyone make a single crown fork that isn't prone to creaking CSU? My second Pike has just fallen foul of this. A buddy has gone through multiple 36s. I hear horror stories of both Marzocchi and X-fusion products...

My Mattoc is a year old and silent. I only have a couple months on the 36 so I'm not ready to call it all good yet.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
A local shop owner has one of the 27,5" 170mm forks. The fork was already two times sent back for warranty. Massive bushing slop each time after the first rides. He is coming from a XC background, so definitely no brutal hack.
The service shop told him, that his fork wa not the first and the last from the 2015 gen with this problem.
They actually talked about a common issue on the the 2015 forks from Fox.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Out of the box, the fork already had plenty of bushing slop that turned excessive after a few rides. So he sent it back. And then sent it back again.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Out of the box, the fork already had plenty of bushing slop that turned excessive after a few rides. So he sent it back. And then sent it back again.
Clearly a pre-production Yeti OEM fork.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

The creaking is what we call in the business "the sound of enduro". Spirits can be pretty be pretty boisterous at times ya know. But fear not, my new company is going to make enduro spirit dampers (yeti blue in this example):

We're working on a crabon model (despite poor/painful initial results), plus a new set of standards, so look for a MBA review soon. Initial pricing will be ~$75.00 for the 3C version and ~$1,200 for the crabons (but they will have your choice of matching stickers and faux weave).

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Is the 2016 36 the same as the 2015?
Has anyone ridden the new 36 in talas? I wouldnt mind trying one but I like having travel adjust and I actually prefer the spring rate of the dual position pike to the solo air...Not sure how the new talas is...wouldnt mind something a little beefier but Im happy with my pike..I might get a lyrik when it's time for a new one..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is the 2016 36 the same as the 2015?
Has anyone ridden the new 36 in talas? I wouldnt mind trying one but I like having travel adjust and I actually prefer the spring rate of the dual position pike to the solo air...Not sure how the new talas is...wouldnt mind something a little beefier but Im happy with my pike..I might get a lyrik when it's time for a new one..
The 2016s have the FIT4 damper available as an option. The FIT4 forks are 15mm QR. The RC2 damper is still available with the bolt on 20mm axle (convertible to 15), which I believe is unchanged from 2015.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my god. they were certainly ambitious if nothing else. sorry for the thread drift.

oh yeah, spent some time on a new 36. nice stout chassis, sorted dampers. a good bit more knob twiddleability than a pike. didn't ride quite as high as my pike, but much better support than the gross 34. really good fork overall.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
look at those pigeon shit welds.

having approx 5 mins of experience with MIG, i am confident that if i was given another 5, i could do better than that.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
At the risk of being heckled for posting actually relevant information in this thread, here goes:

Apparently it is, actually. :) I've been on various versions of a 36 Van 180 for a few years now. I've had the CSU creak nightmare the whole time, and the LBS got tired of me coming in complaining about it, saying things like that's normal for a mountain bike etc... Sorry, but that sh*t is not normal. Fox was always good about warranty work though, and I would just send the fork back in whenever the creak got unbearable. It would generally always develop a creak within a couple months and I'd just deal with it till I couldn't handle it anymore; they'd replace the CSU and things would be good for a while until the cycle repeated itself. I actually had a couple forks that I swapped between so I was never out of luck when the fork was in for service. I probably went through about 3-4 rounds of replaced CSU's. I have a buddy who works at Fox, and I didn't want to bug him about this but finally I broke down. He said they had in fact had some issues with the press-fit process on the CSU's and that it was more difficult to address with Kashima, but that he thought they finally had a handle on the issues. Then he put me in touch with the CS manager directly, and he replaced the CSU on all my 36's (sad to say by this time I had accumulated 3 of them to cycle between!) with the 2015 version. He claimed that they had not had a single return of 2015 CSU's due to creaking, and said "don't prove me wrong!" :)

Well, I was dubious, because I was SURE that I could make that thing creak within a month if I rode it hard. But I have to say, amazingly, I have beat on 2 of those forks pretty solidly now for about 7 months total... and not a single creak from either one! I honestly never thought this day would come.

(I'm knocking on wood as I post this...)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Totally siktor bro or creaky mess?

I've heard good things. I experienced bad things (Creaking csu) with an older fox 32. what's the deal smart peeps?
The former. I'm really picky about my fork's performance and feel... these have swayed me away from my previously beloved Bos Devilles. No creaking at all, just sweet damping :)

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Can I ask a dumb question? Going to ask a dumb question.

What does CSU stand for? Google punches me in the teeth with Colorado State Univ results. Sorry for being ig'nut.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i thought it was crown steerer unit (or maybe upper?). its a bike jargon term so google wouldn't necessarily have it right off the bat.

i had no idea so many people had issues with CSUs on forks other than fox. my buddy and i have used vengeance and they have been nothing but awesome. i will keep an ear out for any odd noises.