Quantcast

2016 Devinci Troy Write-Up

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Below is my review of the 2016 Devinci Troy that I've been riding for the last month. I think it's a pretty fair and non-homer look at the bike. All grades below are based on reviewing it as a trail bike.

Standing pedaling: B-

At 30% sag the bike pedals decently; it bobs some but not enough to make you flick the LSC switch out of open; overall it’s a consistent motion without a wallowy spot.

Seated pedaling: B

The seatpost is sufficiently steep to put you in a good climbing position without forcing you to the front of the saddle. Pedalling isn’t as snappy as some bikes (like my outgoing SB75), but it’s good overall, mostly because the progressive suspension keeps you in the upper part of the travel.

Technical climbing: B+

The rear end is active enough to keep traction over technical terrain easily. The shorter stays can be a liability on some really steep sections where you need to stay seated and pedal up rock faces but that's to be expected.

Tight cornering: A-

Tight corners are a breeze on this bike due to the shorter chainstays. They’re not super short (426mm in slack mode), but short enough to make getting around switchbacks easy when combined with a shortish stem (I’ve been swapping between a 40mm and 45mm) and the 67 degree head angle.

High speed cornering: B (increases to an A with the addition of an angleset to slacken the headangle 1 degree)

The progressive suspension rate makes loading/unloading in and out of berms a blast; you can really pick up speed quick. The rear end is stiff with no traces of flex.

In practice the bike is predictable and stable at high speeds. The SB-75 it’s replacing was a fantasic high speed carver, likely due to the 13.0” bottom bracket and longish 17.4” chainstays. While the front-center of the Devinci is longer than the SB-75, the head angle .5 degrees slacker and the chainstays are .4” shorter, it doesn’t feel like the carving machine the Yeti was, and it’s a trait I find myself missing. I think this comes down to the higher BB (still only 13.3”) combined with the very progressive suspension which keeps the bike higher in it’s travel. Another factor is the best carving position on the bike for me has the meat of the saddle hitting my thigh which limits how far I can lean the bike over while keeping myself upright through off camber sections and flat corners. To be clear, the bike handles high speed cornering well, but it doesn’t give me the same “bobsled” like feeling the Yeti did, which keeps me from giving it a higher grade.

UPDATE: Since I first wrote this I've installed an angleset which has slackened the head angle to 66.1. The results for high speed cornering have been fantastic. Formerly at times the front wheel would feel too tucked up under me. The increased front to center has removed that sensation; combined with the other geometry effects of the angleset I now give the bike a solid A at high speed cornering. The usual climbing trade-offs apply.

Big hits: A

The combination of linkage rate and shock rate on this frame is fantastic. It has quite a bit of progression that comes on very smooth with no trace of hitting a wall. It feels like it can soak up anything. I often forget I’m on a trail bike and think I’m on an old school freeride bike.

Rock gardens: B+

The progressive nature of the suspension means I feel the hits more than on a linear bike, however it keeps up it’s speed better, won't bottom out nearly as easily and isn’t difficult to keep on line.

Jumps: A-

The bike is very poppy and is a ton of fun to boost off every trail feature in sight. It loses a few points for not having the super stable in the bike feel I mentioned in the high speed section, which means it’s not quite as confident feeling on high speed landings (once again, the Yeti set a really high bar in terms of stability for a trail bike).

Notes -

This frame features the best rear suspension rate I've ever come across on a trail bike. As a point of reference on how progressive the rear is - I'm currently running 3 orange volume spacers in the 36 Float up front to match it. One note on the Monarch Debonair - small bump sensitivity is great, but I find myself wanting to be in between two clicks on the rebound. Considering how impressed I am with the Float X2 on my big bike I'll probably put one of those on by summer.

I have the aluminum frame which is exactly the same as the carbon version from a geometry perspective. It's possible to run 2x on the alloy model, however I'm running 1x. I'm not sure on the frame weight; it's not light - but it's solid. Routing for the rear derailleur runs through the chainstay which looks like it should be easy to setup, but unfortunately some material in the stay made it a beotch to install the housing.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Awesome review!
Can we get a spec-list?
How much travel do you ride your 36 with?
Fork travel - I've tested it with the fork at both 150 and 160. As expected 160 makes the front end feel a little more secure in the rough while making the handling a little more sluggish. Since this is my trail bike I'm keeping it at 150 for the quicker handling. If I was using this as a do everything bike I might keep it at 160.

Spec-

- 2015 Fox 36 Float fork w/ 2016 damper
- Rockshox Monarch Debonair RT rear shock
- Magura MT5 brakes w/180mm rotors
- Hope Pro 4/WTB I25 (non-KOM) wheels
- Specialized Butcher Control tires
- KS Lev DX dropper
- Answer ProTaper DH 780mm bar
- Gravity Gap 45mm stem
- X7 10 speed shifter
- X9 rear derailleur
- 11-42 cassette (SRAM/e13)
- Race Face Turbine Cinch cranks
- WTB Pure V Race saddle
- Chromag Scarab pedals
- Bontrager Race Lite Plus grips

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Fork travel - I've tested it with the fork at both 150 and 160. As expected 160 makes the front end feel a little more secure in the rough while making the handling a little more sluggish. Since this is my trail bike I'm keeping it at 150 for the quicker handling. If I was using this as a do everything bike I might keep it at 160.
Summs up pretty much my experience with my Giant Trance Sx. But since I am riding an XL with a wheelbase that long, it obviously isn't that mcuh noticeable as on smaller frames.
I am gladly running a 140-160mm dpa Pike on it, which is an awesome setup for 140mm machines like this I think.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Summs up pretty much my experience with my Giant Trance Sx. But since I am riding an XL with a wheelbase that long, it obviously isn't that mcuh noticeable as on smaller frames.
I am gladly running a 140-160mm dpa Pike on it, which is an awesome setup for 140mm machines like this I think.

Nice, I came really close to buying a Trance frame instead; I might get one next year. I loved my old Reign X.

El-Train

Chimp
Mar 23, 2016
Really liking this bike, how heavy are you? I push 200 lbs most of the time, curious how it handles big guys

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Great review, thanx!

What size did you get and how long are you?
I am 175cm (5"9) and should get a medium but I am a bit tempted to get a large in order to get more reach and a slightly longer wheelbase... a medium would be more playful and a large more stable, as one can read on the Internet! ;)
The medium Troy has the same wheelbase as my current bike but the reach is 30mm longer on the troy.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Nice review! If you don't mind I would like to add more info and numbers to the thread. Bye :)

Hey Andre, any chance you could compare the Troy to the Norco Sight? They have the same travel, nearly identical geometries, and similar price brackets. Would definitely be useful as a buying guide.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Great review, thanx!

What size did you get and how long are you?
I am 175cm (5"9) and should get a medium but I am a bit tempted to get a large in order to get more reach and a slightly longer wheelbase... a medium would be more playful and a large more stable, as one can read on the Internet! ;)
The medium Troy has the same wheelbase as my current bike but the reach is 30mm longer on the troy.
I'm about the same height as you (maybe 2cm shorter) and very happy with the medium. I rode a large in the previous generation Troy and the new medium fits about the same - with a lower seat tube which is nice.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm 180cm with a long torso (31" inseam) and I'm riding a medium. 460mm reach on the large seemed a little much when I bought it, although I wouldn't mind trying one. Overall the reach feels fine but there's times when I wish I had more front to center; I just ordered a 1 degree angle set to push the front hub out a little bit.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thank you for the feedback guys!

@djjohnr: interesting that you did not go for a large because of your length but I understand that a medium might fit you better in regard to your inseam.
On my side, I am a kind of short torso with long legs and arms person with an inseam of 32" (81cm) for 5"9 (175cm). A real monkey in other words! ;) I don't know if it does make me more adapted to a large size frame... but I would be able to fully use a 125mm dropper on a large. I also briefly tried a Kona process in large with 460mm reach and it didn't felt too stretched.

A medium would fit me well, I am sure, but with bikes getting longer every year, I wonder if I could be ahead of time with a large...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
@djjohnr: interesting that you did not go for a large because of your length but I understand that a medium might fit you better in regard to your inseam.
I bought based on reach; standover would have been fine on a large. My last trail bike had 430mm of reach and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to go any longer on that frame. Head angle was exactly same but the chainstays were significantly longer. The shorter stays on the Troy require me to keep my COG farther forward - hence my desire for more front to center.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Great review. The Troy has been on my dreamlist for a long time. I would really like to try one.

How deep can the seatpost go? Can max travel droppers fit? I trend to set up my pedaling position very high and some bikes force me to compromise.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Have you put the x2 on it yet? I just blew yet another DB Inline and have been thinking about this for my 2014 Troy.

-Brett
No I haven't. I've found a happy place with the Monarch and haven't felt the need to swap it out anymore. I still may try it at some point just because I can't help tinkering, but no immediate plans.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Great review. The Troy has been on my dreamlist for a long time. I would really like to try one.

How deep can the seatpost go? Can max travel droppers fit? I trend to set up my pedaling position very high and some bikes force me to compromise.
It's deep; I have a 150mm Easton dropper in it right now with ~2" of post showing. I can push the whole thing in without hitting anything.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
No I haven't. I've found a happy place with the Monarch and haven't felt the need to swap it out anymore. I still may try it at some point just because I can't help tinkering, but no immediate plans.
Ok, I will be ordering one here soon. The can on it is smaller than a CCDB Air CS so its fitment should be spot on! I am tired of blowing the circuits on my DB Inline.

-Brett

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
May be my next test rig or the DJANGO but worried I will be bottoming that thing out so much the suspension will pack up on rockier stuff.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Bottom out the Troy or the Django?

-Brett
The DJANGO. When I had The Following it would get overwhelmed sometimes on the rockier trail in town and the suspension would be using full travel a bunch. Every other trail it was fine though....also it was a 29" wheeled bike so the 650B will be a bit rougher.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The DJANGO. When I had The Following it would get overwhelmed sometimes on the rockier trail in town and the suspension would be using full travel a bunch. Every other trail it was fine though....also it was a 29" wheeled bike so the 650B will be a bit rougher.
Good point. I am wondering if the made it more progressive like the newer style Troy. I bottom out my Troy quite a bit and would appreciate more progressiveness.

-Brett

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'll be interested to hear your experience. It might be a bit much to ask of a 120mm bike on rowdy trails though.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Sold The Wreckoning now its time for a small bike with small wheels.....

I think I am going full XC and doing The DJANGO but not 100% certainin yet. I need to order it Monday anybody have thoughts between Troy and Django?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

I think I am going full XC and doing The DJANGO but not 100% certainin yet. I need to order it Monday anybody have thoughts between Troy and Django?
Basically it seems to be the same bike geometry-wise except for the HA which is 0.5 slacker on the Troy.
Then you know better than me if you need 120mm or 140mm suspension...
The carbon frame of the Troy seems a little bit lighter than the Django. Was the Troy launched after the Django so that Devinci could learn from it and make is slightly "tuffer" bike lighter?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

I don't think I'd want anything with less travel than the Troy, but if you want more of an XC bike that can handle some rough stuff than the Django might be interesting.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Basically it seems to be the same bike geometry-wise except for the HA which is 0.5 slacker on the Troy.
Then you know better than me if you need 120mm or 140mm suspension...
The carbon frame of the Troy seems a little bit lighter than the Django. Was the Troy launched after the Django so that Devinci could learn from it and make is slightly "tuffer" bike lighter?
No, the Troy has been out since 2014. They changed the Troy frame up a bit for 2016 to make it stiffer and more progressive. So I would think they learned from the Troy to make the Django.

-Brett

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Someone on MTBR put on a DB coil...very tempting. Mid-stroke on the Monarch isn't bad but it's still not quite a coil in that department, and the rear feels plenty progressive enough for a coil spring.

Last edited:

micgills

Chimp
Dec 7, 2015
Does anyone think there would be clearance issues with the Float X2? The cane creek coil sounds tempting too, but with out a compression switch I can't say I would want to live with it everyday.