Quantcast

2016 Fit and Finish

How well do your new parts work?

• Everything went together right out of the box

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • A few things from smaller manufacturers needed some work to get right.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Many components, even from major manufacturers needed help to even work at all.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I can't hear you, I'm busy angle grinding my new fork.

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How well does your stuff work out of the box? It's 2016 and at this point I have pretty high expectations, but how does that measure up in the real world? If you built your own bike or upgraded, how well did things go together?

Feel free to quantify your response with a post and a vote.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I can only comment on drivetrain components, but they worked as advertised right out of the box.

EDIT: I assembled the drivetrain from a mix of Race Face cranks and narrow/wide chainring, SRAM GX shifter, X1 derailleur and PC-1X chain, and a Shimano XT M8000 cassette. They matched to each other without any hassle.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think anybody who has experienced chainguide fitting issues (read: installed a chainguide) in the early 2000 will find that everything is wonderful these days. :dance:

I believe some people having backpedalling issues due to the chainline on the new 11sp XT may disagree however. There seems to be a real problem there...pretty uncommon for 2016 if is is true.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I think anybody who has experienced chainguides fitting issues (read: installed a chainguide) in the early 2000 will find that everything is wonderful these days. :dance:

I believe some people having backpedalling issues due to the chainline on the new 11sp XT may disagree however. There seems to be a real problem there...pretty uncommon for 2016 if is is true.
This, and also that.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a new SunRace cassette, Zee derailleur, One-up derailleur cage, Wolf-Tooth 32t ring, and KMC chain waiting in a bag on my workshop to be installed. I'll let you know once that's done.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
FlipSide nailed it. Sometimes installation can take longer than we want but stuff mostly installs just fine.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Everything went together on my last build awesome for me, and 750 miles in, the only sore spot is rebuilding a monarch at 400mi for $100.

Its amazing to consider how better a $5k bike is these days compared to $5k 10-15 years ago. The overall ride, the assembly, no flats, chains not constantly falling off even with chainguides (and now you don't even need a chainguide), the braking, the suspension, the shifting, light strong wheels, not breaking frames.

really do not get the bellyaching over the price of bikes "now". super exensive bikes have always been super expensive, and will always be super expensive. but basic $700 bikes now are comparable to $5k bikes from back then.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Most of my stuff has gone together pretty well.

Only thing that gave me trouble was the brake adapters, specifically the front one. Even with a Shimano post adapter, with a Shimano brake, the caliper didn't just bolt straight up. I needed to fiddle with the washers and ended up having a washer on one bolt and none on the other.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
marshalolson said:
but basic $700 bikes now are comparable to $5k bikes from back then.
That's a little overstating it. If we're talking early 2000s, the only bikes that were even close to 5k were dh bikes. And yes I'll take a specialized palmer replica or a karpiel with a white brothers fork and hayes mags over anything you can buy nowadays for 700 bucks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I guess I should add "works out of the box" somewhere. Yes things go together, but how often are they complete shit when they're shiny and new? None of the components I've purchased have been that bad, but it does look like I'll be sending my SRAM monarch back in for service under warranty. Who would have thought a SRAM part needed help?

The rest of my bike went together fine. XT drivetrain is mediocre, but I think there are rather serious design limitations, and I think it's with a bit of hubris that Shimano doesn't just adopt SRAMs admittedly superior freehub design. I'll likely be keeping the shimano shifter gear, but grabbing a SRAM cassette and freehub to shed significant weight off my hub at some point.

The only other complaint I have is Evil sending me a mid-production run axle that didn't work right.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
That's a little overstating it. If we're talking early 2000s, the only bikes that were even close to 5k were dh bikes. And yes I'll take a specialized palmer replica or a karpiel with a white brothers fork and hayes mags over anything you can buy nowadays for 700 bucks.
Bikes I have owed back then which were "that expensive" and not dh bikes
1998 specialized s-works m2 hardtail (~$4500 retail?)
1999 Fat chance yo eddy ($5000+ retail)

so, yes, we are talking "up and down" bikes with 100mm forks, v brakes, 517 rims, loose ball hubs, aluminum and butted (!!) steel frames, norba geometry, tires that flatted every other ride, etc. and yes a $700 modern bike is very much comparable.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had one of those too.

You was robbed.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1998&brand=Specialized&model=S-Works+M2

The fat chance: I'm kinda giggling at the idea of you likely owning something put together by peter verdone. ;)

Even that more exclusive stuff.....I really don't remember bikes costing that much. Not hardtails at least.
http://co3.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Fat+City+Cycles&Model=Yo+Eddy+!+(08)&Type=bike#.Vz3ryY1f2Uk

You could have had this hot piece of ass for 2k

http://co3.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Klein&Model=Mantra Carbon&Type=bike#.Vz3vuI1f2Uk

Did your local bike shop hate you?

I do admit, there was some serious stupidity going on back then. Like an ibis bow ti that existed at well over 5k.
I'm remembering thinking shit like that was not really a bike though. Those horrible flexy AMP things too.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've had good luck with pretty much everything I've worked on lately (minus finding parts for a Shimano IG8 hub of questionable vintage). Zero problems with my stealth Reverb, and happy with how the Wolf Tooth XT rear derailleur link fixed the b-tension issues on my daughter's 10 spd 40t cog set up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thought this was going to be an admission of adoration for this man...

I mean. Even as a straight(ish*) father of... oh... I can't remember the exact number. How could I say possibly swipe left with those dreamboat eyes?

*just buy me enough Achopops

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Built up a Commencal Meta AM steel hardtail and I was suprised at how fairly painless it was. Internal routing had nice cable guides installed so I could easily route my cables, I did have to bust out my cable fish for one of them, but that was completely my fault. I had to drill water bottle cage holes and install revnuts, but that was more a personal preference thing(I hate camelbacks unless I hafta use one, fanny pack endubro). Bought an x-fusion hilo ace and that has the biggest piece of shit remote I've experienced, so ripping apart a shimano shifter to replace it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Anal retentive craftsman + frame and parts = lots of tweaking. Also tracking down small parts like the right chainring bolts has to be factored in because something like that can hold up a build.

Now shall we discuss the subtle nuances of proper clutch tension and how to do so on an XT derailleur ?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I had one of those too.

You was robbed.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1998&brand=Specialized&model=S-Works+M2

The fat chance: I'm kinda giggling at the idea of you likely owning something put together by peter verdone. ;)

Even that more exclusive stuff.....I really don't remember bikes costing that much. Not hardtails at least.
http://co3.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Fat+City+Cycles&Model=Yo+Eddy+!+(08)&Type=bike#.Vz3ryY1f2Uk
Haha!

Sounds like my memory is pretty foggy (go figure), so I am going to play the inflation card from some random wgooe work to save a little self esteem: $2000 in 1998 = $3000 in 2016, and $3k gets you pretty close to a legit a fs bike nowadays. Enduro comps are like $3500, no?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think it's with a bit of hubris that Shimano doesn't just adopt SRAMs admittedly superior freehub design. I'll likely be keeping the shimano shifter gear, but grabbing a SRAM cassette and freehub to shed significant weight off my hub at some point.
Are you saying SRAM's freehub design allows for a lighter cassette? Or that the SRAM stuff is just lighter... My problem with SRAM cassettes is that I regularly bent the cogs. Of course that was about 4 years ago, but what is it that they they say, once bitten, thrice shy?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Are you saying SRAM's freehub design allows for a lighter cassette? Or that the SRAM stuff is just lighter... My problem with SRAM cassettes is that I regularly bent the cogs. Of course that was about 4 years ago, but what is it that they they say, once bitten, thrice shy?
User error.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wore out an XX1 in two years. Considering the miles I'm surpised it took that long. Still works it just hangs up a little between a few gears from worn teefus.. And yeah it's crazy how light those things are. For reference, hold one of the pinned GX cassettes in one and an XX1 or an X01 in the other.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
since we're on cassettes at the moment, has anyone got a hold of the e13 9-44 cassette?

quality? locking system seem to be sorted out?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My XX1 cassette is trashed, missing teeth, and won't stay in gear under load on most of the cogs. Running an XT at the moment as I have a spare freehub body for the i9s, and the thing is an absolute boat anchor by comparison. However, I really hope Shimano sticks with their freehub design. I've never had a Shimano style cassette get mercilessly stuck on a freehub, the Sram design is light, but even properly torqued with about 9 gallons of anti seize on the assembly, they can get really stuck. Finally got mine off when I figured I had nothing to lose and hit it with the 1/2" drive air impact.

My gripe with current generation parts is all things containing fluid. Brakes, posts, forks, shocks, way too many issues. Imagine if car companies shipped a fair percentage of new cars sans brake fluid, or with air in the lines. It's so goddamn simple to bleed a brake, the fact that they ever ship with a shoddy bleed is unacceptable. Fork reliability has made huge strides in the last few years, but the fact that they still ship shit that creaks and needs new seals right out of the box is just sad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes and more. The hub I have (Onyx) has a very heavy freehub. They are releasing a new alloy driver, which should lose about 85g with the switch to SRAM. Grabbing a new cassette will save another like 200(!). All in (I did the math) I stand to save almost have a pound of hub weight by switching over. Plus, it might help with the backpedaling in the top 3 gears...

The cost is 3x as much, but the weight is like 200g lower (480 vs. 280, or so).

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I guess I should feel guilty about almost all the gear I've acquired recently working great out of the box. Hell, even my newish XT brakes worked like a charm! Maybe all the goat/prostitute sacrifices to Satan have finally started paying dividends. Hail to Big Red!

The only thing I've had an issue with has been a Schwalbe tire and a Hutchinson tire not seating up with a floor pump (versus my Goma, various Maxxis tires & Specialized tires which all seated up easy with a floor pump)...Meh

Have to say tho, I would like to try one of them hand carved XX1 gearsets. Once my Praxis cassette gives up the ghost, maybe I will finally go 11 speed and buy dogboy's XX1 :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
since we're on cassettes at the moment, has anyone got a hold of the e13 9-44 cassette?

9 teefus scares me. The wrap on a 10t is already pretty bad.

Hell, even my newish XT brakes worked like a charm!
Yeah they all work great out of the box. It's after hours of use that they start sucking.

Ride moar?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

I've had one for a little more than a month. So far so good. Shifts great and the extra range is nice.

My gripe with current generation parts is all things containing fluid. Brakes, posts, forks, shocks, way too many issues.
I tend to agree with this, but mainly because everything else is so well-sorted at this point that these higher-maintenance items stick out. Also, for me, it's brakes and dropper posts more than suspension. With regular maintenance, my forks and shocks (Fox, mostly) don't require a lot of attention.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
meanwhile I have a seemingly near mythical set of elixir crs from 2009... bleed them once a season, change the pads, solid.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
don't those new fangled angled parallellogram derailleur cages solve that problem?
Partially yes. But the more you reduce that angle, the fewer teeth you're using for drive. It's probably fine, I just don't want to be the first guy trying it.

But now I know OGR will tell me if/when he starts pulling teeth off. He can pedal a lot harder than I can. :D