Quantcast

2016 TLD

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd been looking at the closeouts on the current carbon versions and was tempted.

Thought you liked your Fox's?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i like my old fox D3R, but not overly impressed with Fox's quality. At this point it's cracked and really squeaky.

I just snagged a D3 Pinstripe II on closeout. still a lot of $, but should last a few years. And it's not horribly colourway-ish.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
@rpet we showed 2 new color ways at Interbike, one of them was a matte finish in orange and green, the other was gold chrome, red and black, just like the popular Palmer lid we did years ago, but with a better graphic and not so much gold chrome. The others are on lock down until they go on sale on Feb 27th. I can tell you, there is a matte black raw carbon with black logos, full stealth mode, and then-of course, a bunch of wild ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@rpet we showed 2 new color ways at Interbike, one of them was a matte finish in orange and green, the other was gold chrome, red and black, just like the popular Palmer lid we did years ago, but with a better graphic and not so much gold chrome. The others are on lock down until they go on sale on Feb 27th. I can tell you, there is a matte black raw carbon with black logos, full stealth mode, and then-of course, a bunch of wild ones.
are you folks expanding more into the trail/enduro market in the future?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
first day with the D3 and I'm liking it a lot! It needs to pack in a bit more as it breaks in.
I think I could try the thinner padding with my Medium.

Interested in trail shorts discussion also. I liked my '14 Sprint shorts, which are still my go-to, other than the fragile basketball-short-material front panels.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
They finally got the fit and fabrics right for the ruckus and skyline kit. Good stuff.
Do tell, I have always liked the skyline kit, but the jersey fits a little boxy and i'm stuck between sizes on the shorts. The 32 fit/length/bagginess is good, but the waist is far too tight. The 34 waist fits good but hte short is a bit on the long and baggy side for trail riding.

The 34 fits decent over pads for DH riding.

Interested in trail shorts discussion also. I liked my '14 Sprint shorts, which are still my go-to, other than the fragile basketball-short-material front panels.
I like the sprint for DH racing, but they leave a little to be desired in the pocket department. I also like the skyline but I am between sizes.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
are you folks expanding more into the trail/enduro market in the future?
That is all we have been doing in the last 4-5 years, and more trail offerings in the pipeline (trail=mountain biking). We have made mountain bike apparel for a long time, but our sizing was always erratic, materials were not as dialed as they are now-but as we know in life, in business and on RM, you can't please everyone. We just keep doing what our customers ask us for, and what Troy's vision is. 2016 will see some additions in the apparel line, helmets, and were really excited about some new protection pieces coming out. As for Sprint, someone mentioned the thin material up front (this is what the bulk of our customers asked for) and someone commented on the pockets-same deal, our customers wanted a pocket, but not big ass pockets, it is a DH/BMX race pant after all-but, maybe there is a new version of SPRINT that isn't so racey, and maybe its a bit more bike park bro friendly, like something in between our burly 'moto' short and sprint? Always open for some dialog to relay to Troy, his head would explode if I sent him in here to browse! ;)
Happy Holidays or whatever the hell you celebrate.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Festivus gift from my wife is a new D3 carbon on closeout.

I can recommend the skyline shorts for trail riding, I wear them over bibs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is all we have been doing in the last 4-5 years, and more trail offerings in the pipeline (trail=mountain biking). We have made mountain bike apparel for a long time, but our sizing was always erratic, materials were not as dialed as they are now-but as we know in life, in business and on RM, you can't please everyone. We just keep doing what our customers ask us for, and what Troy's vision is. 2016 will see some additions in the apparel line, helmets, and were really excited about some new protection pieces coming out. As for Sprint, someone mentioned the thin material up front (this is what the bulk of our customers asked for) and someone commented on the pockets-same deal, our customers wanted a pocket, but not big ass pockets, it is a DH/BMX race pant after all-but, maybe there is a new version of SPRINT that isn't so racey, and maybe its a bit more bike park bro friendly, like something in between our burly 'moto' short and sprint? Always open for some dialog to relay to Troy, his head would explode if I sent him in here to browse! ;)
nifty. glad to see VoC in the development input. any winter gear in the pipes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Make some simple shorts with pockets and belt loops and I'll buy them.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
My 2015 skyline and connect shorts are great for trail riding and are stylish enough for stopping somewhere on the way home from riding. I really don't know why my xc buddies wear skinsuits when these shorts are so comfy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cough, cough..... check out the new dirt craft short from patagonia coming out january 1. Both of those features and many more
How much, though?

If shorts cost over $90, I'll wait until a size too big goes on sale on buy those. Prices on some stuff is stupid....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Belt loops? Get out your needle and thread and you'll be done before you can click [Post Reply]

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Why do ACE shorts cost $165....?.....
They have a removable chamois liner that adds a hefty chunk of scratch to the MSRP. Look at the other shorts they sell without a liner, they are significantly less. That said, I have a pair of TLD shorts from 2011 that is still going strong and just bought some Skyline shorts that you can find on sale for $56. They have also been holding up great but they run a little bit larger in the waist than my older pair.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
They have a removable chamois liner that adds a hefty chunk of scratch to the MSRP.
TLD shorts always had those.....basically worthless version chamois, only good for a 2nd layer in the winter.

ACE shorts must have ASSOS chamois for $165 then....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You really wear a belt when riding?
I do.

I hate that Velcro crap that comes on some shorts, that is impossible to adjust without taking them off.

Even if I adjust the Velcro tight, my shorts always have a tendency to slide down. A belt is the perfect solution and has much more range adjustment.

Draw strings are okay, but have you ever had to piss mid-ride realllllllly bad, only to find that the string is in a tight knot around your waste? I know I've had a few close calls with pissing my pants... :rofl:

I use one of these belts; it is soft, infinite adjustment and it works way better than Velcro.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
That giant metal buckle doesn't look comfortable.

The Velcro on the Skyline shorts works well, and definitely doesn't require removing the shorts to adjust. Find last year's model, buy on sale, price is fine then.

Agreed on the liner shorts though, they aren't worth the upcharge.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
cool belt. i might get one of those for other outdoor stuff. never needed one for MTBing though...
different strokes...

My new Skylines look great... a little long in the inseam though.