Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Rode it again. I can get used to it, but I don't want to. Large Knolly Warden for sale, only 3 rides on it! :D

Never buying blind again :banghead:

That sucks, it always hurts when you try something blind and it is good, but just not what you want.
It happened to me last with a Rocky Slayer (2006) Nice bike, but not for my size - who needs a shifter when you can just pedal hard?
The rear suspension got alot better with a little help from Push, then the fork needed....ah well, you get the picture...

Re Knolly - I'm interested in the new 29r (120mm for my area).

No matter what the model, with Noel's stuff, you always have to keep in the back of your mind his background and love.
Old school north-shore. So no matter what, the bikes will have a bit tighter feeling, pedal great in the rough, but not as well on the smooth. I have had 5 now albeit all 26" ( 2x Delirium-T, 1x Delirium, 1 x Endorphin, and 1 x Podium ) and they all have a family feel, great in the tight, steeps, chutes and rolling terrain, not so much at flat pedaling or at flat out speed (podium excepted - it likes to gallop).

Canfield, Evil and GG also all have bikes that prick the ears up a bit at the moment.

Good luck with the sale and search.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you like a low BB it's fun. I threw the 27.5 wheels from my wife's Process on my Riot. True BMX feel.
Let me guess. you've never ridden a BMX in your life? or you rode BMX so much the CTE wiped all memory of how it felt?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Let me guess. you've never ridden a BMX in your life? or you rode BMX so much the CTE wiped all memory of how it felt?
How about I rode a BMX when I was a young boy. And it brought back all my childhood memories both good and bad. I'l let you know how the therapy goes.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
No matter what the model, with Noel's stuff, you always have to keep in the back of your mind his background and love.
Old school north-shore. So no matter what, the bikes will have a bit tighter feeling, pedal great in the rough, but not as well on the smooth. I have had 5 now albeit all 26" ( 2x Delirium-T, 1x Delirium, 1 x Endorphin, and 1 x Podium ) and they all have a family feel, great in the tight, steeps, chutes and rolling terrain, not so much at flat pedaling or at flat out speed (podium excepted - it likes to gallop).
Yeah, I can see the Warden being great for super tight tech trails with sniper drops. The front end is just so much more roomy on the current Delirium.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah, I can see the Warden being great for super tight tech trails with sniper drops. The front end is just so much more roomy on the current Delirium.
Ya, I can see that, the Warden was kind of in the transition period between the old school geo like my bikes and the new stuff ala Delirium. The geo on the new 29rs looks like it continues the path set by your D. I will still bet that your D still rocks at the slow tech sniper lines but is much more fun when things open up.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
I tired buying a new 27.5 ultra enduro bike but I came in last place. Then I bought a 29"er because I was told 27.5 is really just 26.99 and everyone knows 26 doesn't work for shit. I still came in last place. I decided to put money into something different this time. This is the game changer I've been looking for!

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
My new 2018 Devinci Spartan carbon gx build.

None stock includes : pnw bachelor 150, Industry Nine Enduro s wheels, Hope E4 brakes, Raceface sixc handlebar, and revolution suspension grips. I also changed out the front tire to an exo dhf from the double-down.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
mounted a slaughter. rolls faster, corners like a good bicycle tire and makes braking over loose stuff at speed always exciting.

also threw this old thing (sans flood gate) on the front while I get the pike sorted. probably going to have to do a coil conversion on the pike now.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I finally installed a thicker bottom out bumper on the DHX of my Django and it did indeed make the end of the travel a lot smoother.
Thank you guys for your help! :thumb:
Screenshot_2017-12-23-17-11-29.png

Edit: after some more riding I can say that this is not the right bike for coil for me. There is not enough progressivity in the frame to meet my needs of early stroke suppleness and bottom out resistance.

Last edited:

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
What do you think of the Helm?
Got a mini-review? :D
Yeah it works. The shock goes up n down. 87+/90- pressure. Run the lsc two clicks, hsc fully open. Run thru 145mm of travel fairly regular. 160mm if I do dorps to flat or josh bender jumps. It's light, stiff and well made. I'm enjoying it so far, had wallowing issues at first but that was easily fixed. Loads of adjustment. It definitely keeps your wheel tracking and going where you're pointing it. I was on marzocchi suspension for years, then I went to manitou when they came out with the Mrd Carbon dorado in 09. Cane creek was always very good for rear shocks and the fork hasn't disappointed me yet. Worth more $ then a fox36, debatable. But a nice piece of kit in deed

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I drank the koolaid and signed up for a big wheeled Bro-duro bike. I like it. Wheels need to go as they are stupid heavy. Bontrager dropper post went straight in the garbage, as did the stock tires bars stem brakes cassette and a few other odds and ends. It has stood up admirably to a season of shredding bc real trails and a few bike park trips. Cornering took some getting used to coming from a 26isdead™️ bike.
Yes I know I don’t have any style and I’m ‘gasp’ wearing goggles with a half shell. Somebody alert the fashion police or TeamRobot...

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Bontrager dropper post went straight in the garbage
I'm with you on that one: mine lasted 2-3 wet months with one complete rebuild then it got the upgraded seal and new internals under warranty. With the "upgraded" seal, the stanchion is tacky from the grease inside meaning that it is probably not very tight...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I am getting an ifp to replace the bladder in my Stage. I am worried about an increased stiction a bit.
That's the problem when people start messing around on their own with their bikes. If you had left it to your trusty LBS, he would have told you "we have fixed it now, you can go out and shred" or something similar, and you would never had second thoughts about it. Ignorance is a blessing! ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's the problem when people start messing around on their own with their bikes. If you had left it to your trusty LBS, he would have told you "we have fixed it now, you can go out and shred" or something similar, and you would never had second thoughts about it. Ignorance is a blessing! ;)
If I were to drop my bike at a LBS every time something needed an attention, I'd be applying for a 3rd mortgage on my home by now.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
If I were to drop my bike at a LBS every time something needed an attention, I'd be applying for a 3rd mortgage on my home by now.
Sorry to read that you already have 2 mortgages, but maybe there is nothing unusual about it on your side of the pond...?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
finally got some of these. diameterally challenged for gloveless, aight with gloves. the search continues...

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I am at a loss on grips also. My favorite was the odi intense. The only thing I don’t like with it is the outside endcap but I’ll put up with it until I find a suitable replacement. I still have one more set in the package, going to ride my current set until they’re worn down to the plastic. I tried the new odi elite grips which are supposed to be their replacement and I was less than thrilled. Also tried some old school Renthal slip on Kevlar grips which I like in the dry the few times things get real sloppy and I actually ride I found myself wanting some more siping. Also tried odi o-grips the slip ons I liked them but they were a little on the wide side and I wish they were a touch thicker. The search continues...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am at a loss on grips also. My favorite was the odi intense. The only thing I don’t like with it is the outside endcap but I’ll put up with it until I find a suitable replacement. I still have one more set in the package, going to ride my current set until they’re worn down to the plastic. I tried the new odi elite grips which are supposed to be their replacement and I was less than thrilled. Also tried some old school Renthal slip on Kevlar grips which I like in the dry the few times things get real sloppy and I actually ride I found myself wanting some more siping. Also tried odi o-grips the slip ons I liked them but they were a little on the wide side and I wish they were a touch thicker. The search continues...
I am/was also a fan of the ODI Intense when they were available but have now switched to the ODI Troy Lee on the DH bike and really like them. Especially in the wet they are better than the Intense ones IMO.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Old-school moto grips with hairspray and wire ties.
Rogues
Ruffians
Deathgrips
TroyLees

Search has ended with Ergon GE1.
Although I am interested in the GA2, but not enough to cough up 40 odd bucks, but would love to see some in person.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I never could figure out if I liked the tld grips better with the writing facing away or towards me. Either way I tried 2 sets and they ended up in the bin. Need to try the death grips, or start a kickstarter for a single locking clamp intense style grip...