Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Belated report of dh bike tweaks.

Given the awkward placement of the compression adjustments:

Resized_Screenshot_20180402-103031.jpeg

I got a local metal fabricator to modify a couple of Allen keys.
Resized_Screenshot_20180327-201737.jpeg

Then with the suspension kinda sorted, I moved on to rd adjustment.

I've been using a 7 speed Hope hub with the bottom 7 gears from a 10 speed cluster. The system is almost perfect, barring the inability to correctly limit the low end of the gear range... The low screw, when correctly adjusted, prevents the derailleur from shifting into the higher gears. Seems to be a more recent SRAM issue.

Long story short, after much stuffing around (including some aborted derailleur surgery), I epoxied an "L" section of aluminium onto the rd body, and we're good to go.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The low screw, when correctly adjusted, prevents the derailleur from shifting into the higher gears. Seems to be a more recent SRAM issue.
Nah. That's been a problem with many SRAM mechs for well over a decade.
Adding a nylock nut to the end of the limit screw so it stops on the nut rather than the screw can also sometimes allow you to limit them a little bit further without it effecting the other end limit

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Nah. That's been a problem with many SRAM mechs for well over a decade.
Adding a nylock nut to the end of the limit screw so it stops on the nut rather than the screw can also sometimes allow you to limit them a little bit further without it effecting the other end limit
Ah ok.

I also tried the nylock nut but couldn't find one quite big enough to work properly. I was actually inspired by your Session build from a few weeks ago, and after multiple hack attempts settled on the current version.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got the Scout back from the shop. Normally do my own work, but just said F it and let them service the rear shock, tubeless tire refresh, put new metal pads in the brakes and swapped the Pike out for the Fox 36.

They didn't listen to me about trimming the steer tube in the Fox, to leave two small spacers on top of the stem.....so I got all the above for free. Woot, I guess?

Ready to shred some god damn (dry) dirt once winter decides to pack up and head south.

No change with the Turner DHR. Though I'd really like to find some 2.7 DHFs for it. Do those exist anymore?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Picked up a Rocky Altitude. I just wanted a frame but the only frame-set option was carbon, and I have trust issues with the stuff. I need to swap all the parts over from my Spitty but I took it for a ride in stock form. Climbs decently and corners great. I'm surprised at how good the 36 performance GRIP feels, it's definitely the best feeling budget fork I've ever ridden; the DPS shock is pretty meh.

Unfortunately I've already found a problem - the shock spacers won't clear the link to go into the upper Ride 9 geometry positions, looks like they didn't machine away enough material. Warranty time...yay.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My new trail cutting machine, built by my friend Oscar. Opted for the 34 instead of 36 for a little flex and compliance. Geared 30x20 with an oval ring to annoy my lbs friends.

20180408_123121.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Picked up a Rocky Altitude. I just wanted a frame but the only frame-set option was carbon, and I have trust issues with the stuff. I need to swap all the parts over from my Spitty but I took it for a ride in stock form. Climbs decently and corners great. I'm surprised at how good the 36 performance GRIP feels, it's definitely the best feeling budget fork I've ever ridden; the DPS shock is pretty meh.

Unfortunately I've already found a problem - the shock spacers won't clear the link to go into the upper Ride 9 geometry positions, looks like they didn't machine away enough material. Warranty time...yay.

I had to warranty my rocker arm, but for a slightly different reason. Got to thrash the bike properly at Gooseberry Mesa...love the bike, but I still find it harder to do immediate wheelies on it than the old Altitude. That being said, it is so goddamn stable glued to the ground, (HTA and longer geo) I don't have to wheelie drop as much...but that is not the point, as I love to wheelie drop little drops. Good luck with the warranty, mine took five months. (But my bike worked fine in four of the nine positions while I waited for the warranty part to arrive).

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I had to warranty my rocker arm, but for a slightly different reason. Got to thrash the bike properly at Gooseberry Mesa...love the bike, but I still find it harder to do immediate wheelies on it than the old Altitude. That being said, it is so goddamn stable glued to the ground, (HTA and longer geo) I don't have to wheelie drop as much...but that is not the point, as I love to wheelie drop little drops. Good luck with the warranty, mine took five months. (But my bike worked fine in four of the nine positions while I waited for the warranty part to arrive).
Compared to the Spitfire this thing seems to want to wheelie if I even remotely think about it. What was the deal with your rocker?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mine would not go into the 1,2,3,4 positions (steeper HTA) because the carbon was laid on too thick or something.
Not a big deal as I rarely want to be in those positions, but I would like the option.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sticking with the Nomad. It is an excellent bike for the type of riding I do most of. I've just added a nifty little chain guide from Oneup.

The drivetrain is getting a little tired, so I think I'll just freshen it up with a new cassette, RD and chain. I'm still toying with the oval chainring idea, although it is likely just lizard wizardry.

I'm toying with the idea with switching up tires too, but I've grown used to the Magic Mary. If I can find a deal on a 2.5 DHF, I'll grab it and give it a go.

Oh, and I switched out my red headset spacers for some blue ones. Important stuff.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've grown used to the Magic Mary. If I can find a deal on a 2.5 DHF, I'll grab it and give it a go.
Oh man, the Magic Mary absolutely destroys the DHF where you live, I'd stick with it.
The Magic in any of the softer compounds (eg. Purple Addix, if not already running) is pretty much the only thing that can beat another Magic in those conditions.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Oh man, the Magic Mary absolutely destroys the DHF where you live, I'd stick with it.
The Magic in any of the softer compounds (eg. Purple Addix, if not already running) is pretty much the only thing that can beat another Magic in those conditions.
I just received 2 purple today.

I rode in sheeting rain and picked some pretty irresponsible lines this past weekend and it just sticks.

So forgiving. And that’s with the old vert star.

I’m having a hard time finding ways to shave weight. Tires was my cheapest option, and I don’t think I’m willing to spend money on the next cheapest option: a fork.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
First ride on my new Sentinel yesterday. So far the Vital review has been spot on. Bike loves to go fast. Front end sticks like glue. 140 rear is a good compromise in travel and more than the 135 I had on my last bike, but I don't think it'll convince me to get rid of the DH bike. Stock X01 build is pretty hard to fault, but the 35mm Race Face cockpit is stiffer than I care for. I'll give it a couple more rides, but I anticipate shopping for bar with a bit more compliance soon.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I get the impression on these forums that Kevin Bazar does not like the MM?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, Sight with a 36.
Local shop has a used aluminum one for like $1200, but with x-fusion fork. Everything else seems pretty good, Saint brakes etc. Buddy is looking for a new bike; he wants something dentistry (SC Bronson), but realistically this is more his flavor for how much he rides.

What are your thoughts on it?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
He also raves about current TALAS forks, you can ask @Flo33 how that suggestion worked out for him.

If you want a relevant opinion, ask @buckoW or @toodles who have both put some decent ride time on the current and previous Magic Mary. In the previous vertstar compound I found them to be excellent, but somehow with the new purple addix version they've noticeably improved an already-great product. Be conscious that there is no direct equivalent to Maxxis EXO casings however - I run SG casings (equivalent to Maxxis DD).

They're the best thing I've put on a bike in a long time.
Mr. Peach speaks the truth.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
He also raves about current TALAS forks, you can ask @Flo33 how that suggestion worked out for him.

If you want a relevant opinion, ask @buckoW or @toodles who have both put some decent ride time on the current and previous Magic Mary. In the previous vertstar compound I found them to be excellent, but somehow with the new purple addix version they've noticeably improved an already-great product. Be conscious that there is no direct equivalent to Maxxis EXO casings however - I run SG casings (equivalent to Maxxis DD).

They're the best thing I've put on a bike in a long time.
Mr. Peach speaks the truth.
How do they roll when climbing (dirt, cement, asphalt)? Also, I'm curious what would you use in very slick hardpack clay (with a sprinkling of moss on top). That's our soil here when rainy season starts in June.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How do they roll when climbing (dirt, cement, asphalt)? Also, I'm curious what would you use in very slick hardpack clay (with a sprinkling of moss on top). That's our soil here when rainy season starts in June.
They don't climb that bad, at least compared to any equivalent weight tyre. There is a noticeable rolling resistance from them on smooth surfaces, compared to Minion DHFs but I'll take grip in hairy sections over footpath rolling speed any day. I chose to run the Magic on the front for the Trans NZ over my normal Minion DHF when the weather forecast turned bad a week out. 100% grateful I did as it saved my arse so many times on the wet, slippery clay and root sections.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you took the gamble and gave one a go.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Local shop has a used aluminum one for like $1200, but with x-fusion fork. Everything else seems pretty good, Saint brakes etc. Buddy is looking for a new bike; he wants something dentistry (SC Bronson), but realistically this is more his flavor for how much he rides.

What are your thoughts on it?
It is just a great bike. The main thing I like about it is its versatility. It is fun to ride on boring rolling hill terrain, but I can also take it to a bike park and it will hold its on. The geometry is tight, and even with the bigger wheels, it is an easy bike to move around. The rear suspension is poppy as well. It only has 130mm of rear travel so it is not the most forgiving bike out there, but it is quite fun to white knuckle it through shit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've had 3 forks and 3 different float/talas carts switched in my possession over the last 4 years, with tons of ride time on all of them. As bad as the floats can be, none of the talas cartridges (remember, only the most recent one) had anywhere near the hangups. This is in the same fork chassis with nothing else changed.

I mean that's not as valuable as writing off the system 8 years ago when they truly did suck but hey.

@Flo33: what did you get?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My biggest gripe about them is that I haven't ridden a compound that doesn't fold over sideknobs on harder surfaces. That's compared to some of the blockier designs which I end up using. It's more a matter of terrain and climate than anything. For riding wet and truly loamy terrain, they work really well. Me making fun of the sideknob direction is also a long running joke that I will continue to make because it's funny watching udi get all emotional about it.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
My biggest gripe about them is that I haven't ridden a compound that doesn't fold over sideknobs on harder surfaces. That's compared to some of the blockier designs which I end up using. It's more a matter of terrain and climate than anything. For riding wet and truly loamy terrain, they work really well. Me making fun of the sideknob direction is also a long running joke that I will continue to make because it's funny watching udi get all emotional about it.
What do you use on hardpack or wet hardpack?