Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
@DaveW I like that Kona throws you under the bus for having employees clean yer whip. :rofl:

As usual teh comments provide.
Lol Yeah Calebs gonna get payed out on for that one!
And it was me that cleaned it, the damn shop grom is on holiday in the south of france at the moment. :(
Although Technically I think I am an employee?
But the bike looks like that due to a product called "motomuck" it is the most ridiculously lazy way of cleaning a bike to showroom level.
To get it that clean after a muddy ride is literally 3 mins work max..... If I take my time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Man, what a different a non-creaky fork makes, and then what a difference x2 having a broken in fork makes.

Just the creaking F-s up your suspension so badly, in terms of absorbing and control. Night and day.

Replaced my creaky lyrik with a cheap 2018 yari RC, gutted the damper and put the Avalanche in. Was contemplating buying some new lowers for a while, until I started getting the bad creaking. I went nearly mad trying everything else to make it go away. There was definitely a break-in period as the bushings got worn in, but now it's like I'm back to being superman with a fork that plows through everything without excessive movement.

Anyone want a new motion control damper for cheap?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i just picked up a used Pike RCT3 since my 350cr started to creak. I'm planning to slap in a debonair after a few rides if I'm not happy.

Dropping some weight will be nice. It won't look as cool though. My Marz looks awesome...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
This arrived today. It's an XL and that's an avy yari on the front. I also have a metric jade built for it Hoping to get it together and ridden asap, if I can pry myself away from my midlife crisis campervan build

IMG_20180721_221923_749.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i just picked up a used Pike RCT3 since my 350cr started to creak. I'm planning to slap in a debonair after a few rides if I'm not happy.

Dropping some weight will be nice. It won't look as cool though. My Marz looks awesome...
The RCT3 version isn't so bad, the RC versions were way over-damped to give a pseudo-lockout when the knob was turned all the way, which made the action crap most of the time. Should be ok as long as it has a good bleed.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Just got this on Friday evening: A Devinci Spartan GX LTD (165mm travel), size Medium.

I never though I'd buy a stock bike ever again in my life (last time was 18 years ago), but the specs on this one were close enough to what I would do for a custom build...I just went for it!

Key parts of the build: Lyrik RC2 2019 @ 180mm w/ 37mm offset, RS Super Deluxe shock, RaceFace Vault Hubs and ARC 30 rims, Reverb, GX Eagle everything, Guide RSC, DHF 2.5WT, DHR 2.4WT, Selle Italia something-or-other from my previous bike. I'm waiting for a new Rental Bar + Stem.

Maiden ride was yesterday and it was mind blowing. I got PRs pretty much everywhere without even trying. Compared to my previous bike (Pivot Mach5.7c 150/145), this one is about 2lbs heavier and it shows a little bit on the climbs, but overall it does climb surprisingly well. Anyways, I was slow on a lighter bike...now I'm still slow, but on a heavier bike. For the downs, it's almost unbelievable how fast it is. I was worried to feel "disconnected" from the trail with that much travel for general trail riding. Pfft! Not at all. It's great!

Basically, it's an amazing bike and we'll get along very well together! :)

Random notes:
- Yes, the rear tire is on backward. I got it like that and did not change it before the first ride. It's corrected now.
- Yes, the cable routing up front is super wack. The bike came with a rear brake line that was cut too short. The routing will get properly redone once I get the new bar/stem.
- The GX Eagle is fine and gets the job done quite well, but coming from a full XX1 11sp group, it looks and feels a bit unrefined in comparison. I suspect the GX derailleur spring may not be as stiff as the XX1.
- We'll see for the durability, but so far the Vault hubs are quite amazing. 120 POE and it sounds like a BMX Race bike!
- The fork air spring blew up at the 4th run of the day. Well, fuck my life! Talk about a buzz killer... Probably something was setup wrong/dry from the assembly line. The fork was feeling fine, then POP! I should be pissed, but I don't even care. It was my last run of the day and the stoke was so high, nothing could really ruin that nearly perfect new bike day. :)

Spartan_20180721_sm.jpg

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Here it is XL machine. Dvo jade 9.5x3 shortened to metric sizing. 180mm yari with an avy cart. 185 bike yoke dropper. deity and e13 stuff

The bike is pretty insane Bar height is super high (I'm gonna slam the stem and see how that works) . The jade needs a revalve (i guessed on the base tune) it's too firm in lsc range, I'll fix that tonight.

IMG_20180724_122852_373.jpg
IMG_20180724_122852_372.jpg
IMG_20180724_122852_371.jpg

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
:clapping::drool: man, what a beauty... I can't even imagine how would it be like to look at all the CNC work in person...
The tooling path marks inside the cavities are mesmerizing , I'm kicking myself for not taking a shot of inside the headtube. And the cnc work is totally amazing especially in the lower link

I am pretty sure you can put 3 bottle cages in a row on that downtube! :busted:
Seriously though 2 normal sized bottles, with space, and a frame bag.... With a fucking dh coil shock!

I'm taking it to mountain creek on Saturday, I detuned the lsc range in the jade so I guess we'll see how it works.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Finally caved and got some 27.5 wheels together.

IMG_4234.JPG
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG

Ancient (~15 years old) King rear hub swapped to 12x142, and equally old Hope Bulb 20mm that I mangled some 15mm endcaps to make work. Rekon 2.6r and Magic Mary 2.6f is working well for me, though the Rekon leaves a bit to be desired when things get a bit wet.

This bike is really, really fun!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
New rear wheel, 9 x 46 tooth cassette...
e.13 cassette? How are those things lasting/shifting? I'm currently running the Shimano XT 11-46 but its heavy as and has a massive jump up to the 46 so I'm looking for an 11spd alternative (XD or Shimano driver). I run Hope hubs so I can get their cassette as well but its a bit of an unknown.

e.13 cassette? How are those things lasting/shifting? I'm currently running the Shimano XT 11-46 but its heavy as and has a massive jump up to the 46 so I'm looking for an 11spd alternative (XD or Shimano driver). I run Hope hubs so I can get their cassette as well but its a bit of an unknown.
Yeah, it's the e*thirteen TRS+. It shifts just fine, seems to have even increments, but I can't comment on lifetime yet, only have ten miles on it and that this afternoon...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
New rear wheel, 9 x 46 tooth cassette...
View attachment 129683
Looking good, boss!

I run the 10sp 9-42T TRS+. I've done a few hundred miles on in so far, no problems whatsoever. I rotate 5 11sp XX1 chains (currently on #4) to get max lifespan out of it as it isn't cheap.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm running a Sunrace 11-46- must better spread of gears and super cheap. No obvious difference in shifting compared to an XT but not sure on weight.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Here it is XL machine. Dvo jade 9.5x3 shortened to metric sizing. 180mm yari with an avy cart. 185 bike yoke dropper. deity and e13 stuff

The bike is pretty insane Bar height is super high (I'm gonna slam the stem and see how that works) . The jade needs a revalve (i guessed on the base tune) it's too firm in lsc range, I'll fix that tonight.

View attachment 129649
Them scallop ballmill marks < 3