Quantcast

2017 Intense Tracer anyone have one? Thoughts?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I just sold my dh bike to get a one bike solution!

I'm getting really interested in the new tracer. Anyone out there own one or test ride one? What you guys think about them?

Hers a few models, I'm looking at.

SL elite build for 6k.
SL pro build for 5500
non sl frame expert build for 4200.

Is The sl frame worth The extra money? The build spec on the sl elite model is really good... And for 6k i can't see anything of the big brands that comes to that spec.

I've read all the reviews i can on the bike and they are all positive, with pretty much only pinkbike saying that it doesn't climb great without flipping the lever, but flip the lever and it seems to climb great. I'm fine with them getting rid of the anti squat for smoother downs. I'd flipping a lever is all it takes to climb good and putting on a coil shock for park days makes it a mini dh bike, then I'm down!

Fwiw i have a 2015 tracer and i love it. The bike climbs really good, but it does have a "steeper" ht angle @66.5 And it does have a high anti squat properties as well. It's such a fun bike too.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Holy shnikes! That's a bad hit. Looks like he did it multiple times and intense replaced it really fast at least.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I've thought a lot about the new nomad. Intense definitely had that build package/ price beat though.

The new intense tracer did away with the regressive vpp curve.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The new nomad is awesome. Just spent a week at whistler riding one. Quite like a mini v10 in the low setting. Pedals respectably as well if set up properly. Geo and #s feel spot on.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
The new nomad is awesome. Just spent a week at whistler riding one. Quite like a mini v10 in the low setting. Pedals respectably as well if set up properly. Geo and #s feel spot on.
Did you get some good climbing on with it? What build package where you riding?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've been on a 2009 Uzzi as my "one" bike since 2010 . . . with a coil to smooth out the curve, it's been terrific. Seriously thinking about the new nomad to replace it when it comes out in aluminum. the GG megatrail is another top contender. for some reason the new tracer just doesn't appeal to me.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not made in the US anymore.
Dentist approved.
On sale for 50% off 2 days after it was introduced.
Strange colorwayz.
Jack Moir and Dean Lucas are riding well on the 29er aluminum bike, not the carbon M16.

Just some thoughts...... :D

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Hmm, Ya maybe i need to get that tracer outta my head.

Rocky slayer i demod one, it was pretty frckn sweet..
Yeti sb6
Ohlins Enduro 29er! Looks really Badass!
Sc Newmad
Trek Slash

Last edited:

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Did you get some good climbing on with it? What build package where you riding?
XO1 build with reserve carbon wheels. Super Deluxe Air in the back and Lyric RTC in front.
It climbed surprisingly well, especially in the high setting. The steep seat angle helps it feel comfortable uphill as well.
In the low setting it feels more like a mini dh bike.
I'm really enjoying the bike.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Just bought the new Tracer!

And enrolled in dental school...

I got a new 2018 solid black expert gx/eagle/lyrik/monarch build, for a REALLY good price.

I've been reading bike reviews like crazy, got really interested in the enduro 29er, test rode the new slayer and altitude (great bikes) but just kept going back to the tracer. And at the price i got it, It's about the only bike, i don't have to upgrade anything right away. I'm thinking maybe coil fox x2 and some saint brakes for park days in the future.
Intense18-Tracer-Expert-3T.jpg
[

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Nice. What were your impressions of the Altitude? How did it corner?
I thought it was a really fun bike that cornered great and rode really predictable. It felt like a really snappy stable, big bike. Actually the only trail i rode, was a rough steep, rutted, rooty, blown out, switchback, really fun trail with a 10-12 foot drop in the middle. The trail is called Frank & beans at silver mountain bike park.

I didn't do any climbing. Since the demo was at the park. And i only climb when i have to.

I turned in a decent strava time (iknow...) and rode it multiple times, same as the slayer. I spent half the day riding the same trail on both those bikes, med and large, because that's where the demo run was set up for.

Then i jumped on my 2015 tracer275c and turned in a better time than either bike, and had more fun. That was the first time i rode my tracer on that trail, I've ridden it quit a bit on my dh bike. And came really close to my fastest speed. So, i came away with being really impressed with my tracer. There where only a few really fast big jump trails where i felt like my tracer was a tad short wheelbase and just a tad steep. So i figured the new tracer is exactly what I'm looking for. The tracers corner so good. Sure i smack pedals everywhere, but that low bb is worth it!

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Of course the shipment was delayed for a few weeks..

Got some parts gathered up for it though.
170mm air shaft Travel adjuster for the lyrik.
Beefy tires
Minimal chain guide
And a nicely used '18 dhx2, can't wait to see what this feels like!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
interested how those pedals hold up. one of mine instantly developed play, as did the rebuild kit; then the tiny inside screw stripped, rendering them useless. they had a good feel while they lasted. so i went back to my 10yo kona wah wahs and never looked back

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
interested how those pedals hold up. one of mine instantly developed play, as did the rebuild kit; then the tiny inside screw stripped, rendering them useless. they had a good feel while they lasted. so i went back to my 10yo kona wah wahs and never looked back
No shit huh!? I went out on a limb and bought them. They sure are thin, I think I'll like how the bearing keeps your foot out of the crank. I'll keep ya informed on how they do. I have really good luck with deity pedals but sold them with the bike.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Metric shock spacing does seem stupid, but why didn't intense spec them on the tracer, but they are sourced on the new carbine?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Hmm, metric was introduced late 2016?

I've read that a guy on pink bike put a longer stroke fox (2.75") on his tracer and it didn't rub anything. It does look like in pics, that there is some room in between the linkage. He said the tire didn't rub either.

I wonder if a metric shock fits.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
First real ride at the bike park today. This bike kicks ass! plenty of rear travel, Rails corners, jumps great, comfortable geo, runs silent, nothing funky.. and the fox coil, really makes this into a beast!

Last edited:

Henski

Chimp
Oct 10, 2017
Looks great, I just bought a 2017 tracer pro build and find it climbs a little rough in the firm setting on the fox x2, any ideas how to smooth this out. My climbs are very technical and long

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I'm not the best climber, but I didn't really see much difference in how this bike climbs compared to the last tracer, or other enduro bikes. The climb switch on the float x2 does make the shock pretty stiff though. I think the dhx2 definitely had a softer climb mode.

Maybe add just enough low speed compression to keep it high in the travel?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
How do you like it on the downs? Mine feels like a dh bike with that coil. It jumps so smooth, i haven't gotten bucked at all on jumps yet.

What air pressure, how much you weigh? I blew the fox coil, they are fixing it this week. I'm 205lbs and on the 525lb spring. I felt it bottom a few times, I might move up to the 550 spring.