Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
New thing that does boing boing installed last night. It might need a moar aggressive bottom out bumper as the frame is moar linear than ideal for a coil shock. I've tried to alleviate that with an offset bushing a little, we'll see soon. Shake down ride this afternoon!

Nice looking shred panzer there. So are the offset bushings for geometry adjustment and/or are you hoping it makes the suspension more progressive?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Nice looking shred panzer there. So are the offset bushings for geometry adjustment and/or are you hoping it makes the suspension more progressive?
The latter. According to my naive experiments with Linkage, I should get a hair more progressive / less-regressive-end curve.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
DSC_1416.JPG
So I decided to get rid of my Process 153DL, already sold my Gambler and got a sweet deal on this. Changed the fork travel to 170mm and some other small details and so far I´m happy. Needs a new shock though...
It's The Remedy 9.9 RSL.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
See, now you're talking! I already did that math and with 26" wheels I could be down to like 11.5" give or take based on tire.
My new BTR is about 11.1". It's fine. I hit pedals sometimes, but it corners like a motherfucker.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
A-GG-The Smash-1.jpg

Got this all built up. May go with a topaz on the back end. The bike feels great it is LONG. I went size LG and I am 6' 1" with a 34" inseam...

1. LG GG The Smash (CCDB Air CS trying it out)
2. CK Headset
3. Race Face SIXC bars 35mm, cranks
4. Race Face Atlas Stem 35mm
5. Magura MT7 Brakes HC3 Levers F/R
8. Hope Pro Hubs F/R
9. Stans Flow Hoops MK3 Rims 29mm Internal
10. SRAM 11spd GX (cheap)
11. Gamut Chainguide
12. DVO Diamond Fork at 150mm
13. 9.8 200mm Post
14. Fabric Saddle
15. WTB Rubber

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My Megatrail in Super Gravity mode is like 12.5 ish. Haven't died yet. Smacked lots of rocks w/ cranks and pedals, yes. Mostly in Sedona, AZ (Hangover trail made me want to put it in trail mode. But really, I just wanted an excuse to walk/hike up some of those silly puckery sections). Colorado doesn't have rocks, as you all know.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I frankened up my 27.5 Stanton for a slalom race a few weeks back. 26" wheels and a 26" fork at 120mm. The BB was silly low at somewhere in the 11.5 range. It railed. Ha, the start gate was steep and I had to pay attention not to hit my cranks every run it was so low. It is fun on my pump track like this as well.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Bike's super fun and flying. Short stays make technical climbing a little more challenging, as expected. Short stays make lofting the wheel up incredibly easy. Short stays make it easy to push the bike through tight corners. Low BB RAILS.
The only thing that sucks is backpedaling - chain drops from the two largest cogs quickly. I need to shorten the chain (short stays) but there isn't much room for getting the chainring closer to the frame. Perhaps a spacer on the hub or sligh re-dish of the rear wheel might will help.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I got some 2.6 specialized tires (omigosh best rubbbr evah squeeeee) and thought about putting some biggin 26s on my patrol.

Then I saw some of those 2.8s on some dwid's bike in downieville a few weekends ago. Holeeee sheet. Kill it. Kill it with fire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got some 2.6 specialized tires (omigosh best rubbbr evah squeeeee) and thought about putting some biggin 26s on my patrol.

Then I saw some of those 2.8s on some dwid's bike in downieville a few weekends ago. Holeeee sheet. Kill it. Kill it with fire.
speaking of 3 inch tires... i came across my old THE fender the other day

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@kidwoo can you compare the 2.6 butcher to other tires in terms of actual width and volume? I've not run anything specialized in years so can't remember how their width measurements stack up to Maxxis, Schwalbe, etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They're pretty true to size. I have some borderline clearance issues on my patrol with 25mm rims. I think I measured them at like 64mm max width.

I don't really like what they do to for the total wheel radius on 27.5 wheels (I'm not an old man like @mtg yet) which is why I'd love to see them do that tire in a 26.

But whatever they're doing with rubber compounds, and I know I keep saying this, they're the most damp, trail bike tire I've ever ridden. Not quite like a good thick dh tire but they certainly move in that direction. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a super tacky maxxis compound but these are firmer and roll faster. Damp like that though.

They call it 'gripton' so I assume any other size with that moniker would be similar.