Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Any of you low riders use shorter DH cranks or do you rock 170/175s with your sub-13" death machines?
Darned CRC just cancelled my SixC order. :banghead:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My Rallón came with 170mm cranks because the BB height was supposed to be "low" (13.3 in). I put 175s in there because when I broke the original cranks I got the replacement ones really cheap in that length. I really can't tell if the rock strikes have increased because of the longer cranks of because I'm getting moar of a hack as I grow older.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sub 13" on my Reign with the 26ers, no problems on 175 mm cranks. On technical climbs you have to time your strokes a bit.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Any of you low riders use shorter DH cranks or do you rock 170/175s with your sub-13" death machines?
I run 170s, but more because I actually prefer pedaling them over 175s, rather than for clearance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pedal hits that actually matter, IE: pile driving your crank/pedal/foot into something will not be fixed by 5mm. I don't know why people get all huffy about such minute differences. Half the racerboi dorks that don't post here any more used to go on and on about how you NEEDED to ride 165mm cranks on 13.5" high bb dh bikes. I think it was a nice combination of utter supidity and lack of real life experience on their part. Go hold up a ruler or some calipers to your crank and look at what 10mm actually accomplishes. It ain't much. (about 10mm actually). You get more than that changing tires.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
175 cranks w/ 11.8" BB death machine.

(fwiw: my worst/best crash in years was due to clipping a pedal on an apparently un-moveable rock, on a bike with a normal BB height.)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I run 170s, but more because I actually prefer pedaling them over 175s, rather than for clearance.
This

I've run 170mm cranks on my roadbikes pretty much all my life but because of #fashion my last roadbike came with 172.5s. Never really got on with them but more importantly they pretty quickly fucked up my old battle worn knee. Thought to myself how the fuck can 5mm be the problem?
I decided to switch to 165s rather than my usual 170s. knee pain went almost instanty and my max cadence (240rpm) also increased by about 10rpm
5mm does matter. but yeah. not for pedal strikes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am starting to understand the appeal of the addiction of the low BB clan junkies. My little silver turd is a floater when pointed down. I don't think I've had as much fun on a trail bike before, it reminds me of the planted feeling of the DHR.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agree that the luddite high BB hoards have fucked up bikes for everyone for a very long time. Haven't had a nonDH bike with BB over 13 in 10 years and always ran 175s. Riding with low BB is a solvable problem (with technique) and a problem worth solving.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Agree that the luddite high BB hoards have fucked up bikes for everyone for a very long time. Haven't had a nonDH bike with BB over 13 in 10 years and always ran 175s. Riding with low BB is a solvable problem (with technique) and a problem worth solving.
*NOT a DH bike

While I too have semi-functional image processing spheres, I will say another factor in pedal strikes is pedal profile. As someone who's been riding flats more as of late, the wider (and thicker in some cases) platform has resulted in more unexpected pedal sparking.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
*NOT a DH bike

While I too have semi-functional image processing spheres, I will say another factor in pedal strikes is pedal profile. As someone who's been riding flats more as of late, the wider (and thicker in some cases) platform has resulted in more unexpected pedal sparking.
is that a bighit being ridden by a robot?

also, RF chesters ftw

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm a serious danger to myself on flats after riding clipless for a long time. It's kind of weird how comfy I've gotten just gently brushing the outside of my foot on things at mach nutty. That extra width on flats is like woo poison, and very entertaining for friends and family.

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm just gonna post my 14.8'' high bottom bracket. it's got some kinda bike attached to it which is pretty nice.

put a 45mm dm stem, 785mm bars and mudguards on it. copied the french style lever angle and found it super comfy so that's something. Been dead reliable so far.
cove fvrious?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm a serious danger to myself on flats after riding clipless for a long time. It's kind of weird how comfy I've gotten just gently brushing the outside of my foot on things at mach nutty. That extra width on flats is like woo poison, and very entertaining for friends and family.
Seriously?
I always had you down as a flat pedal rider. Certainly didn't have you down as the sort of spaz who struggles to ride them.

Every day's a school day.