Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Any of you low riders use shorter DH cranks or do you rock 170/175s with your sub-13" death machines?
Darned CRC just cancelled my SixC order. :banghead:
Always 175 on the Spitty.

Pedal strikes happen, but they happen less when you're paying attention.

I'm kidding, you're totally gonna get flung over the bars and under the bike going mach stupid over some roots. But the drag marks on your helmet will look bad ass so there is that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not bad at all. I dig mine. I do need to pop it off and regrease it every once in a while. If you notice a weird clicking under light pedal loads that's it. Took me redoing every pivot and threaded piece on my bike before realizing it.

So you're welcome. :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not bad at all. I dig mine. I do need to pop it off and regrease it every once in a while. If you notice a weird clicking under light pedal loads that's it. Took me redoing every pivot and threaded piece on my bike before realizing it.

As far as PB could be trusted, they said the clicking happened to 1st Gen E*13 cassettes. As with every major knowledge jump in the history of mankind, they realized moar shimz was the answer and added some thin delrin shim to mitigate the noiz.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As far as PB could be trusted, they said the clicking happened to 1st Gen E*13 cassettes. As with every major knowledge jump in the history of mankind, they realized moar shimz was the answer and added some thin delrin shim to mitigate the noiz.
Seems like the movement comes from between the pieces though. Any shimming would throw of the shifting if you put it between them I'd think.

It's not a big deal. Takes about 5 minutes to fix it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have the 9-46t version. It's decent, definitely doesn't shift as good as an xt cassette. I really needed the range though and eagle is way out of the budget.
There's a detectable difference in shift quality? Huh... that's a bummer. I too, am after range. I was hoping to go 32 up front, and put on the 46t version of the e13. But to be honest, I don't really need it. The 30/42 is about as much as I can push on the trails around here, and I only spin out on the pavement on the ride back from a couple of my regular routes.

Maybe an oval 32.... There's no way I can push 32/42. Perhaps on my best day, and that never happens.

Good news! I'll just stick with the cheaper option!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'm on a 32 oval with the 9-46 on a 37lb 29er.... I need all the range I can get. The shift quality isn't bad but it's still not as dialed as xt. Even a sram cassette seemed to have slightly worse shift quality than a full shimano group.

There's a detectable difference in shift quality? Huh... that's a bummer. I too, am after range. I was hoping to go 32 up front, and put on the 46t version of the e13. But to be honest, I don't really need it. The 30/42 is about as much as I can push on the trails around here, and I only spin out on the pavement on the ride back from a couple of my regular routes.

Maybe an oval 32.... There's no way I can push 32/42. Perhaps on my best day, and that never happens.

Good news! I'll just stick with the cheaper option!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just swapped the drivetrain on my trail bike to GX Eagle with a Sunrace 11-50. Haven't taken it on a ride yet but in the stand and on the street it shifts at least as well as the XT 11-42 setup on my other bike.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

2017 Devinci Django 29er alloy frame
150mm Fox 36
Guide RS brakes 200/180
Spank Oozy 345 laced onto Hope hubs
Renthal carbon bars
Maxxis tires

just finished it up around Labor day , amazing bike for being a 120mm of travel .

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the Sunrace 1150. The 50t cog is a little flexy. So I only sit and spin that cog. It shifts ok, going to try the garburk 11-50 next. Lighter. Better steel. Said to shift better.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i'm going to assume you just didn't feel like messing with fixing the angleset after installing it backwards...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
i'm going to assume you just didn't feel like messing with fixing the angleset after installing it backwards...
Haha good eye. Altho that was done on purpose. The 160mm fork and the +1 cup brings the ha back to 66. I gotta climb techy shit too bro :thumb:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

2017 Devinci Django 29er alloy frame
150mm Fox 36
Guide RS brakes 200/180
Spank Oozy 345 laced onto Hope hubs
Renthal carbon bars
Maxxis tires

just finished it up around Labor day , amazing bike for being a 120mm of travel .
150mm upp front means business! How does it feel?
I run my Django with a 140mm fork and a -1 angleset giving around 66.5degree HA. 35% sag at the rear put the bb where I want it to be. I might post a picture later just to tease the 29er haters ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

First ride on the e13 earlier tonight. Pretty much no surprises, shifting with larger gaps between cogs requires not to be ham-fisted, and there's quite a jump from 28t to 35t. :crazy: 24-28-35-42 isn't making much sense to me, I'd rather see 24-29-35-42 there. What bothers me though is a lot of clicking in the 42t under heavy pedaling. It sounds like a worn chain with a new chainring but I've installed a new 11sp XX1 chain and a new MRP 30T chainring with the e13 cassette. Perhaps it is not the chain/sprocket making the noise but the spokes suffering under heavy torque? :think:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
150mm upp front means business! How does it feel?
I run my Django with a 140mm fork and a -1 angleset giving around 66.5degree HA. 35% sag at the rear put the bb where I want it to be. I might post a picture later just to tease the 29er haters ;)
I really like it , have 2 rides with it at 150mm , ran it at 130mm for roughly 10 rides . I have a 10mm lower cup from Devinci that slackens the frame 1/2 degree . Unfortunately the steer tube is too short so I didn,t use it . With the low setting on the linkage , and the 150mm setting and a 2.5WT tire up front the HTA is pretty close to 67deg . IMO the 150mm suits the bike more than the 130mm setting , and it helped all around . My last bike was a 26" 170/167 travel and 65deg HTA. This machine is easier to pedal and so far easily handles what ever I throw at it . My 1st ride at 150mm I did a lap that was part of a race I did a couple years back. I rode no where near a race pace and I beat my time by over 90secs .

If you have the option I recommend trying it out . I got the idea from Mathew Slaven , I bumped into him at a shop in 2016 . He reps and rides for Devinci and had both(27.5&29) his Django,s set up with a Fox36 150mm and the 10mm lower cup .

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
First ride on the e13 earlier tonight. Pretty much no surprises, shifting with larger gaps between cogs requires not to be ham-fisted, and there's quite a jump from 28t to 35t. :crazy: 24-28-35-42 isn't making much sense to me, I'd rather see 24-29-35-42 there. What bothers me though is a lot of clicking in the 42t under heavy pedaling. It sounds like a worn chain with a new chainring but I've installed a new 11sp XX1 chain and a new MRP 30T chainring with the e13 cassette. Perhaps it is not the chain/sprocket making the noise but the spokes suffering under heavy torque? :think:
That's kind of weird for a new one. Unless maybe you have a torn up cassette body? Chainline okay?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I replaced 6sixes with saints and Wolf Tooth 30 stainless. Went from clipless to flats.
bike1.jpg
bike1.jpg

Also replaced a worn out chris king headset. The new upper is a cane creek 110 series. The new lower is from a FSA pig DH headset for 1.5". The Pig is the first medium quality, low tech piece of equipment that I have been exited about in years. It is very, very heavy and crudely sealed, but what a huge improvement in front end stiffness! Chris King and Cane Creek made the fork feel like a wet noodle in comparison. The pig comes bone dry, so you have to fill the cage with grease yourself. I like it so much I put the reducer version on my DH bike as well.
bike2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2007
My guess for the noise would be the MRP ring if it's one of their wavy deals. We've seen similar issues with MRP and Praxis rings that use the same offset tooth design. Praxis' response was "Oh, that'll go away once everything finishes breaking in"