Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

And Dat Ass:

Build:
Norco Sight Carbon 9.1 frame
2018 Fox 36 150mm
Fox Transfer post 150mm
Race Face: 50mm turbine stem, SixC bars, Next SL cranks, 30t n/w ring, Atlas seat, Love handle grips
Boyd Cycling Carbon Wheels
Maxxis DHF front, Aggressor rear.
E13 9-46 Cassette
Cane Creek 110 headset
Shimano 180mm XT brakes, XT shifter and derailleur.

Review: Does all the things. Like.
interesting...how do you like versus the old transition, which, as i recall, you loved?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
interesting...how do you like versus the old transition, which, as i recall, you loved?
Oh yeah, I loved both the Scout and Carbon Patrol bikes and the company as well. We just got an opportunity to work with some more local people.
As far as the Norco, it is the new redesigned Sight and I like it a lot. I can honestly see why the mid travel 29ers are popular after riding this. The Sight is really compact as far things like 16.9 chainstays, low seattube, low bb, and a really short head tube that lets you get the bars low if you want. The bike is really agile and fun to ride, but the bigger wheels give it stability and it likes to smash over things. Big wheels or not, it is a fun bike to ride for sure. Ha, I am going to race it at a slalom race next week. The only negative thing I have found so far is the water bottle is a tight fit in the frame, so I need to figure out a different cage and bottle setup. But other than that it is solid.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Picked up an XL Hightower LT. Time to get some real-world experience and decide for myself how I really feel about the bigger hoops. But really, it's mostly just to harass Kidwoo.
What's the word? I'm getting interested in this bike or the almighty 29Enduro.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Super stoked! This is my first squishy 29er so I can't help with comparisons, but so far so good, with the predictable learning curve for the wagon wheels. I did the maiden voyages this past weekend in the Lakes Basin, CA. It's easier to throw around in the tight stuff and in the air than expected. (That's true even though I also sized up from a large Bronson to an XL Hightower, enhancing the limo effect.) It isn't magic, but the big wheels definitely roll through the rocks better (up and down), and the whole gyro/momentum thing with the big hoops is real. I will probably add 10mm to the fork (to get to 160) and add a volume spacer or two, but otherwise really happy so far.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I bought my hightower about two months before the "LT" hightower was released had never been on wagon wheels. I have been pleasantly surprised with it's all around capabilities and handling I'm sure the extra travel makes it that much better

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So it happened, sixfiddybeez appeared on my bike. Hope Pro 4s and EX471s.

Eager to ride, unfortunately tore a meniscus - don't ask... :bonk:

IMG_1-1600.jpg

IMG_2-1600.jpg

IMG_3-1600.jpg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Isn't that probably about what your 6" bike is sagged?

I'd look I'm on a tron cycle layed out on that thing. Needs drop bars. And lasers.
Yeah, pretty close.

The reach on the hardtail is shorter though, only 480mm. :D

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I've been on a long shocked coil Hightower all season. I'm over it. The geometry among other things isn't working for me. I have a Pole Evolink 140 on the way. Hoping to get it built up and ready for the blue mountain esc enduro this coming weekend.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've been on a long shocked coil Hightower all season. I'm over it. The geometry among other things isn't working for me. I have a Pole Evolink 140 on the way. Hoping to get it built up and ready for the blue mountain esc enduro this coming weekend.
A evolink is on my todo list :))))))))))))))))))))))

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Shitty pic, but...

2016 Transition Patrol Carbon

upload_2017-8-28_9-7-5.jpeg

I got it from the owner the the Wheel Mill in Pittsburgh.

One of the first things I did to it was get rid of the Nobby Nic, and put a DD Aggressor on. Much, much better. The Magic Mary is pretty decent, so I’ll keep it for now. Also, the 150mm Reverb was too long for my stubby legs, so I ordered a 125 KS LEV Integra (on sale at Jenson for $300 US). It currently has the LEV from my Ibis. Changes still to come are… I may cut down the bars half an inch, and possibly replace the 42t cog on the XX1 cassette because it’s a little worn (what a great benefit to those expensive cassettes – the steel “main” cluster is in great shape, but the aluminum “bailout” cog that sees more wear is replaceable). I have an XT derailleur and XTR shifter waiting in the wings for when the XX1 dies (not that there’s much of a difference in performance, but I’ve grown accustomed to the silky smooth Shimano shifting, vs the firm positive “clunk” of SRAM. I also like multi-release in both directions). Over the winter I will probably build up some Arch MK3 rims onto my King Hubs. Or maybe that will wait till next year, as my monetary situation dictates – there’s nothing wrong with the DT Swiss hubs.

I have about 6 rides on it so far. It's been great. I'm coming off a 2013 Ibis HD, so the Transition has bigger wheels, is longer, lower, and slacker (with a steeper STA). I got it because I’ve always lusted after a Transition, and you guys convinced me my dentist bike doesn’t corner well and is very tall. I also found that my buddies on modern geo bikes were starting to catch up to me on the DH trails, so I wanted to get my (only) competitive edge back (they’re much fitter than I am).

This bike definitely corners better. And as I look at Strava, it also climbs better, which really surprises me (I’m setting PRs on the climbs all over the place). I guess all this talk of geometry really does make a difference. I think the biggest benefit is the steep seat angle. I'm in a much more neutral position when climbing meaning any time I shift my weight around, it's much more effective. There's also less wheel wander on the steep stuff. I still find the DW link pedals more efficiently, and is more refined in the straight-up chunky gnar. The DW feels more “urgent” when laying down the ponies, and slightly smoother in gnarly sections. I find I'm using the three-position LSC lever on the Monarch a lot more now. I’m still playing with shock settings and dialing in the contact points on the Transition, so I think I'll get faster on the descents as I get used to it. It is also taking some time getting used to the longer wheel base and larger wheels. I definitely don’t feel any advantage to the larger wheels. They feels slow and ponderous compared to my 26” wheels. They might be faster, but it takes more work to get them turning and cornering.

All in all, I am very pleased. It’s a fun bike, and I think it will be faster overall as I get used to it. This weekend I’ll be doing some lifted-assisted laps. There’s two main trails at this hill (it’s usually and pedal-only place – they only run the lifts 4-5 times per season); one is all bermy flowy, and the other is super-gnar chunky. This should really help me hone in on my settings.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You got it backwards. The NN got rid of you. :P
pretty much. one ride was all it took to remind me how terrible it was. bouncing around all over the place, and slipping on the easiest climbs. I had already received the Aggressor, I was just too lazy to put it on (or too excited to ride my new whip, and just wanted to get out). But that didn't last.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
What is this thing picking rearward on your dropper?
@'size is right, sort of... Attachment point for the trailer. It's a Toutterrrain Singletrailer. The only all terrain trailer I know. 8" of travel, 5 point safety belt, stainless steel frame, about 18" wide and it leans into corners. My 3yr old daughter loves ruff stuff in it.
IMG_20170705_142130_140-01.jpeg