Quantcast

2018 offseason guessing game & rumour thread

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
so whatcha, whatcha, whatcha heard?

*dakotah norton possibly getting a ride? he's seemed to catch a few eyes this year.
*assuming gwin has bonuses in all the right places will he own YT outright in 2018?
*hart's contract up? - think warner mentioned wondering who he'd be riding for next year.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In a German forum these things were thrown around:

- YT Mob off YT
- maybe no more GT team
- for sure no Bergamont team

Nearly confirmed is that Kidwoo will be picked up by Niner. They are just trying to find out how to make a 29" DJ frame (Voreis is asking for it as well). ;)

Gary will get sponsored by Bell so the poor fella doesn't have to ride w/o helmet anymore.

Jackalope will replace Claudio as "expert" commentator on the RB.tv live stream.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Gwin makes around a million dollars ths year:

Yt might actually be too small for him right now. As good as the bikes work for him right now, he definitely is always searching for a better deal. But we'll see.

I saw Same Dale watching the race from beside the track, so technically he's there. But that Gt team didn't work out.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
From the French forum I follow : Hart and Greenland will leave mondraker. That and Pekoll retirement leave quite an empty space in the mondraker team...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i'm assuming this would just be a sticker on the side of the head sponsorship? something tells me free helmets wouldn't change his mind.
I own 5 helmets. 2x D2s, 2xScott XC, 1x Protec pisspot. Seeing as I hardly ever wear any of them. Let alone land on them they should last me longer than Hans Rey's GT sponsorship lasted.
I'm out riding in Spain just now. I didn't even bring a helmet. I'm Scottish. It's too hot! Instead I brought sunglasses. I wear them on my head when descending the Rocky dusty Gnar. That way if I crash and land on my head I'll get a fairly good idea whether a horribly hot polystyrene hat might have been any use.

KAZHA

Chimp
Feb 20, 2015
Flat AF
When Finn Iles turned 18, there was a joke in one of Vital's slideshows about him beeing legaly able to gamble, which was followed by nervous laughter and abrubpt ending, so maybe Claudio got an eye on him?I think he wants much more solid results than a sideways photo of Brendog in Vital and Pinkbike.
Finn seems to be on fire in Specialized, but will they want him to compete against Loic,it beeing French based team!?
Warner and Claudio mentioned that Mcdonald's season wasn't that great and that his contract with GT ended after this season. Only ones who wouldn't get a boot from their team would be Wyn and Maes, they do bring some kind of exposure, but Brook and Dale seemed to be lost in there, but I don't if they would be more visible in other team?

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I would love to see the rebirth of Devinci Global Racing with Finn on board.

Cecile Ravanel jumping to DH would be great as well. Finishing 9th (?) at VDS without much experience riding a DH bike is quite impressive. It would be interesting to see what she could do with a proper DH training.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would love to see the rebirth of Devinci Global Racing with Finn on board.

Cecile Ravanel jumping to DH would be great as well. Finishing 9th (?) at VDS without much experience riding a DH bike is quite impressive. It would be interesting to see what she could do with a proper DH training.
:stupid:

Except that DGR was Gabe Fox. And Gabe is now Canyon.

Though Finn to Canyon with Wallace and Troy would probably be a good thing all around. And then Wallace and Finn getting back on a Canadian manufacturer in a few year's time would be cool. To be clear, this is all fantasy. I haven't heard anything about any of this, anywhere.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:stupid:

And then Wallace and Finn getting back on a Canadian manufacturer in a few year's time would be cool.
That would be cool. Does Rocky Mountain have any bikes out there racing at that level anymore?

Where has Connor Fearon been? Injured I'm guessing?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
IMO Devinci really dropped the ball disbanding their WC team after Smiths death, leaving Wallace to scramble for a team. They should have kept in it, maybe scooping up multiple freed up riders that season. But whatever guess, same company that can't do a Smith legacy fund version of the 'wilson' or anything like that... Weird decisions from that company some times.

Curious on the YT quip. Why would they drop the Mob after all the success it's had?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Curious on the YT quip. Why would they drop the Mob after all the success it's had?
If it happens, I think it will be because of this.

IMO Devinci really dropped the ball disbanding their WC team after Smiths death, leaving Wallace to scramble for a team. They should have kept in it, maybe scooping up multiple freed up riders that season. But whatever guess, same company that can't do a Smith legacy fund version of the 'wilson' or anything like that... Weird decisions from that company some times.
I was curious about that too. I still wonder if the Quebec brand was just not that into racing, and if Gabe was the force behind the team. If Devinci was just not that into it, and Gabe was offered an opportunity to work with Fabian... then it made sense to jump on the opportunity? maybe it was just a question of timing? (or is that serendipity?)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gwin makes around a million dollars ths year:

Yt might actually be too small for him right now. As good as the bikes work for him right now, he definitely is always searching for a better deal. But we'll see.

I saw Same Dale watching the race from beside the track, so technically he's there. But that Gt team didn't work out.
prediction:

YT Mob becomes the MT Dew Mob

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Reading the weed leaves tells me this:

* Biker Fox to Muddy Fox
* Kidwoo & Bender (who may be the same person) to Karpiel
* Nathan Rennie to Sexy Dave Racing (see new proto model below)

* Snoop Dog to Guerrilla Gravity
* Sandwich to Orkin
* Ratboy to race America's Cup
* Gary to race (helmetless) for a local rock quarry

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Drop the Mob? Maybe not, drop anybody who's name doesn't rhyme with Smaron Smwin, that I could see. Only press at all I can think of from the other mob members is when Neko got DQd for cardboard body armor. Did the Spanish guy (I think he's Spanish anyway) even race this season? Neko started the season strong, but where did he go?

Save the airfare and just take Gwin to the races.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
it would nice to see Dakota Norton with SOME support. DIY world cup racing has to be a short lifespan.
I still love that Dak lives in (came from, he doesn't come back home much anymore) one of the flattest states around and is making a pretty good go of things. Good kid too.

I thought Morpheus was giving him some support....some....either way considering this is his 4th or 5th year racing DH he's fricken killing it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I thought internet me would fit that bike perfectly.

Or am I big now?

I'm confused.
Oh you're confused again?..... Are you still having those feelings kid?
Look it's ok we're your friends and we care, we aren't going to judge you.
Take a deep breath and come out of that 29" closet...... It's ok man you'll be alright.

I think we should start a go fundme page to get Minnaar to come and help you through this troubling transition phase.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
in fixer news it looks like marshy won't be mechanicing next year. dougie fresh back to minnaar?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
in fixer news it looks like marshy won't be mechanicing next year. dougie fresh back to minnaar?
Did Santa Cruz fire him because of the Val di Sole flat tire/smashed rim/losing overall f-up or is he now completely taking care of his business because of the new tire insert's success (where did the announcements go, can't seem to find it anymore?)?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
For the curious, Here is the 2018 schedule for DH, including a new location (which I feel conflicted about)

• April 21-22: DHI Round 1 – Lošinj, Croatia (In the youtube video)
  • June 2-3: DHI Round 2 – Fort William, UK
  • June 9-10: DHI Round 3 – Leogang, Austria
  • July 7-8: DHI round 4 – Val di Sole, Italy
  • July 14-15: DHI round 5 – Vallnord, Andorra
  • August 11-12: DHI round 6 – Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada
  • August 25-26: DHI round 7 – La Bresse, France
  • September 4-9: UCI World Championships – Lenzerheide, Switzerland