Quantcast

2018 offseason guessing game & rumour thread

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Interesting 1st round pick.
Good to see them mix it up a bit with something new.
They will probably change the course (or at least the odds of them doing so are good), but would kinda cool to see one round with a hint or urban DH chucked in to create a different challenge and see how it goes for the WCDH boys.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Good to see them mix it up a bit with something new.
would kinda cool to see one round with a hint of northshore freeride with teeter totters and horribly routed trails chucked in to create a different challenge and see how it goes for the WCDH boys.
I disagree.

Dh bikes don't have big knobby tough tires and 8" of travel because pavement.

They need to at least jump a moat or ride through some hectic croation dinner scenes in an apartment with grandma cookin. I mean hey if you're gonna go urban get chased by some cops or something.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Well they can just throw back all the rocks on the track and it might be a serious track........what a snooze fest for a WC.

#BringBackSchladming

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I guess that the UCI cannot be blamed for everything. I don't know exactly how it goes but the UCI chooses from the locations willing to organise a race and in this capitalist oriented world this locations depend heavily on the fact that the event around the race is viable from an economical point for the organisers. The quality of the track is certainly regulated but is sadly not of prime importance...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That trail seems criminally bad. Top section is "lets make it so that people end their careers if they crash here!" and the bottom section is "holy shit boring, lets ride in a straight line on pavement"

There is already an urban DH series. Its not the direction world cups need to go.

Anyway, what team is Hart switching to? Warner alluded to Hart no longer riding for Mondraker next year.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Warner alluded to Hart no longer riding for Mondraker next year.
I think it's weird that teams cut the rider before the World's. How do they know that Hart won't be racing for them next year and Gwin won't be racing for YT? Don't they ever renew a contract? It would feel weird to be like "Hey, I know you're getting rid of me cause you don't like me anymore(even though I finished first in the series), but I'll do my best to win this race for you!". Why not keep these racers? They're your representatives. Look at other sports. Even though they might change at the end of their careers, they're best remembered with one team.
Emmitt Smith - cowboys
Joe Montana - 49ers
Call Ripken - Orioles
Maddux, Smolts, and Glavine- The Braves
Minnar- Santa Cruz
Hill- Iron Horse

I forgot Hart was on Mondraker. I still associate him with Giant.

Oh well, let the business man figure it out.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wasn't Gwin and YT's contract for three years? I'd be surprised if they part ways 2 years into a 3 year contract after Gwin won 2 world cup overalls. I mean he's providing pretty much exactly what they wanted, no?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Wasn't Gwin and YT's contract for three years? I'd be surprised if they part ways 2 years into a 3 year contract after Gwin won 2 world cup overalls. I mean he's providing pretty much exactly what they wanted, no?
But they aren't providing enough dollars. Word on the streets is that Treks contract with the Athertons is up and therefore the Mob is changing frame support as Trek has the dollars for Gwinneth.

Are they really in a three year contract with YT or was it just two?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
But they aren't providing enough dollars. Word on the streets is that Treks contract with the Athertons is up and therefore the Mob is changing frame support as Trek has the dollars for Gwinneth.

Gwin back to Trek... ha, the guy can't stay away. Have fun riding that 29er.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I am confused about the ytmob potential change, will the name change as well? I thought ytmob was part of the yt brand?

trekmob?
lizardmob?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I disagree.

Dh bikes don't have big knobby tough tires and 8" of travel because pavement.

They need to at least jump a moat or ride through some hectic croation dinner scenes in an apartment with grandma cookin. I mean hey if you're gonna go urban get chased by some cops or something.

Have this guy chase them down the mountain. Require riders to look in the camera and quip a one liner.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
is there a frame brand out there that is going to tell gwin he can't run anything he wants? it seems the mob is its own entity that uses the frame sponsor as the 'title' sponsor and is free to use whatever components they want.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
is there a frame brand out there that is going to tell gwin he can't run anything he wants? it seems the mob is its own entity that uses the frame sponsor as the 'title' sponsor and is free to use whatever components they want.
If they have enough money, they don't even have to say it, Gwin, or anybody for that matter, would wear a Bontrager merkin. Even if it were just a Maxxis Merkin that had been sharpied out and a Bontrager sticker stuck to it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Specialized apparently.

MTB Trbovlje

Chimp
Jan 30, 2017

From YT Mob:
This wraps up the 2017 season for The YT Mob which saw some impressive results from Aaron and Neko while team mate Angel was out injured. The entire team looks forward to the 2018 season with the same three riders; the defense of the World Cup title begins in Losinj, Croatia, on April 22. A huge thank you to all of our sponsors and fans for the support the team has received throughout the year, we sincerely appreciate it.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
From YT Mob:
This wraps up the 2017 season for The YT Mob which saw some impressive results from Aaron and Neko while team mate Angel was out injured. The entire team looks forward to the 2018 season with the same three riders; the defense of the World Cup title begins in Losinj, Croatia, on April 22. A huge thank you to all of our sponsors and fans for the support the team has received throughout the year, we sincerely appreciate it.
No mentions about changes. Let's see what happens in January.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Somebody has a fascination with walls, either dry stone or concrete - why?
Seriously, WTF did I just watch?
Are they trying real hard to kill the sport I love?