2018 offseason guessing game & rumour thread

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
French rumors say that:
- Hart had already signed for Saracen in Lourdes
- Brook is going to Mondraker
- Eliot Jackson is more than often seen with the santa cruz crew... but Minnaar is known for teasing a lot on social media so who knows

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
French rumors say that:
- Hart had already signed for Saracen in Lourdes
- Brook is going to Mondraker
- Eliot Jackson is more than often seen with the santa cruz crew... but Minnaar is known for teasing a lot on social media so who knows
Isn't EJ in NZ these days? Half the DH circuit seems to congregate there at some point in the off season. If they are there at teh same time, it stands to reason they would ride together... I wouldn't read too much into them hanging around together.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Last off season it seemed like Eliot Jackson spent a lot of time with Luca Shaw too. Probably just normal off season stuff for them

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, they didn't have a very good team for awhile, the writing was on the wall for that one.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
should we be reading between the lines and interpret this to mean ol' Sammy will be focused 100% on enduro now and not be entering any DH events?
As Endurrrrro world champion he wouldn't be allowed to DH in his half-shell and goggles.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
should we be reading between the lines and interpret this to mean ol' Sammy will be focused 100% on enduro now and not be entering any DH events?
well he only raced ft bill this year to qualify for the world's enDHuro™ race. i see no realDH™ in his future.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
In the DH market, why is it so unusual for teams to keep their riders for more than one contract?
A lot of teams are put together like Ocean's 11, there's a Clooney type character who assembles a team for a "heist" which is about getting as much cash out of a brand as possible for a few years. Then when the heist is over, the brand either A) wants to re-sign because it was amazing but George Clooney wants to run an even bigger heist and puts together Ocean's 12 or B) they realize it was a heist and want out or C) the new guys who got put in charge in the annual corporate restructuring want to put their stamp on things.

The team truck stays, the laundry and logos (and often riders) change. Its not easy to keep a team together, which is why the Syndicate is often talked about as a "family".

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sam used to be one of my favorite riders to watch. My kid and I watched a lot of his videos on rainy day. But no more. How can I teach my kid that if you want the down you must pay for the up, if Sam just cops out with a E-bike. I unsubscribed. No thanks.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I subscribed because I like his videos.
I unsubscribed because I don't want to watch him ride an e-bike.

No hidden meaning, however I do believe Youtubers take that stuff seriously. But to be honest I don't understand that whole Youtuber thing. Saw on the news this morning that some jack-wad made 12.5 million off Youtube. How does that even work?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sam used to be one of my favorite riders to watch. My kid and I watched a lot of his videos on rainy day. But no more. How can I teach my kid that if you want the down you must pay for the up, if Sam just cops out with a E-bike. I unsubscribed. No thanks.
Buy a park pass?!

:D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not too keen about Sam riding a motorbike either, but....

from Sam's point of view -
He has a future and family to look out for. Nobody knocks the guy who moves companies in the same field but for more money, better benefits, shorter hours, shorter commute, or whatever it is that makes his and his family more secure, so why do we bust on Sam? Sure he is hocking e-bikes, but he still gets a foot cycle to compete on, so he is not totally abandoning the pedals.

Maybe now he will have enough cash to fix his damn grill.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Money talks bullshit walks.

Dont blame Sam for promoting ebikes, blame the people that are buying them.
The industry is pushing them with or without his help and im pretty sure its just something in his contract about endorsing his sponsors products, not a personal quest of him trying to get little kids on an ebike.

Hill is a fucking legend and I hope hes making a fucking ton of money (i realise he probably isnt). I couldnt care less if hes on his DH, Enduro or an ebike.

Edit: And i would like to appologize to @dump, he seems to be very unimpressed by my spelling and i sincerely hope he can forgive me for it. :agree:

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Money talks bullshit walks.

Dont blame Sam for promoting ebikes, blame the people that are buying them.
The industry is pushing them with or without his help and im pretty sure its just something in his contract about endorsing his sponsors products, not a personal quest of him trying to get little kids on an ebike.

Hill is a fucking legend and I hope hes making a fucking ton of money (i realise he probably isnt). I couldnt care less if hes on his DH, Enduro or an ebike.

different Sam. They are talking Sam Pilgrim. Who is now riding for an ebike mfg. Sam HILL is still legit....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So there's this new-ish, small, bike company in Denver, CO that apparently has enough money to send Cody Kelley and Anneke Beeeerten around the world for the EWS?

Alchemy bikes FWIW

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Also lopes is off of ellsworth? PB comments scuttle butt puts him on an alchemy as well in a new video, and note that ellsworth is missing from the sponsors section on his website

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I guess it goes without saying Mike Jones will be racing EWS exclusively
Matt Jones, jono's twin bro.
He's been on Marin for a while.
Jono still races DH and does the odd enduro. Matt is more of a stunts n steeze kinda guy

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Also lopes is off of ellsworth? PB comments scuttle butt puts him on an alchemy as well in a new video, and note that ellsworth is missing from the sponsors section on his website
i guess ellsworth couldn't deal with all the negativity that comes along with lopes. #ironic?

Last edited: